Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Extremely SOUR Shot - Delonghi Bar32
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extremely SOUR...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
shogan

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 8, 2011, 1:25pm
Subject: Re: Extremely SOUR Shot - Delonghi Bar32

Ok following the advice for temp surfing here I pulled 2 different shots this morning. Here is my procedure:

1. Heat up machine until green light goes on indicating shot is ready to be brewed.
  2. Brew one shot of water only to heat up machine internal parts.
  3. Dose, distribute with WDT, level, and tamp into a single basket.
  4. Turn machine to Steam Mode, when light turns green, bleed off 5/10 seconds of steam into a cup.
  5. Immediately put in porta filter and turn switch the "Brew" mode to pull shot.

Result - 5 Seconds steam bleed: Very black in color, Crema white only on the edges, taste very bitter with a touch of sourness.

Result - 10 Seconds steam bleed: Black in color, crema black and white on top evaporating quickly to the edges, taste bitter but with extra sourness.

For my next time I'm thinking a 10 second steam bleed then wait an additional 15 seconds before pulling the shot.

Any advice for my next trial?
 View Profile Link to this post
jaybelknap
jaybelknap
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: delonghi ec-155
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso
Vac Pot: none
Drip: cuisinart dcc-2000
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 7:39am

try using a double basket instead of a single, i have heard that the single basket is less forgiving.
clumeng

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II, 67 Cremina
Grinder: Vario, Maestro, Pharos
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 7:48am

shogan Said:

Any advice for my next trial?

Posted January 8, 2011 link

Try different beans or a grind that you know is fresh.  I'm sorry if this is a repeating theme but there is a HUGE GIGO (garbage in garbage out) factor with espresso.  I'll save the "get a grinder" thread but the experience you are looking for is going to be highly dependent upon what you put in the machine and less the machine itself.  

It is highly likely that with the same preground Illy coffee I'd get the same appearance and taste with my DB setup.  As to others getting "good results" with the same setup, taste is very subjective so this is hard to compare.  

I think that you are certainly learning how to better control the parameters of the machine re: temperature.  I think you are reaching the limit with what you can do without changing the input significantly if you are going for thick crema without sourness or extreme bitterness.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011, 7:50am

You might have watched it already, but Seattle Coffee Gear has a "crew review" on YouTube for this unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jbuRTyWn9A

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 9:06pm

shogan Said:

Based on the post about removing the spring gasket on a EC155:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/510409

I'm thinking of removing the spring gasket on my Bar32 and trying this. The only issue I can see is that there is a gap between the filter plate and the bottom of the porta filter basket. I'm not sure if this will cause more problems then its worth but I will try it.

In lieu of that, does anyone know where I can get a non-pressurized porta filter basket for the Delonghi Bar32? It fits a 51mm porta filter.

Thanks.

Posted January 7, 2011 link

If you haven't figured it out. The La Pavoni Millenium 51mm basket works great. If you haven't already, i'd also remove all the plastic from the portafilter that comes into contact with the coffee.
GeorgeRYoung
GeorgeRYoung

Espresso: delonghi Bar 42 modified,...
Grinder: delonghi DCG50 modified
Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012, 7:50am

shogan Said:

One more question - I wasn't able to find a definitive answer as to whether I can use a non pressurized porta filter with this machine (no rubber gasket on the inside of the basket). Does anyone know whether its possible and/or whether its worth it to try?

Posted January 7, 2011 link

Recent mod to my BAR32:
"deLonghi BAR32 portafilter mod to depressurize"
TheEndJustifiesTheBeans

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Lelit PL043
Posted Sat Jun 15, 2013, 9:16pm

I am somewhat curious why someone who is just starting out would reject the advice of someone with $4000 invested in a grinder and machine, with over 1000 posts and who roasts their own coffee?

Illy has invested considerably more in producing consistently high-quality coffee and is the leading brand in Italy a country that knows more about espresso than the rest of the world combined. And, in this instance, the original poster says that other people report good results with this coffee, so it seems to me quite reasonable to assume that it's NOT the problem.

The vast majority of Italian coffee shops use commercial beans such as Illy and make awesome espresso, so beginners should be wary of posters who disparage these types of brands. You may not get a full, rich flavour from pre-ground Illy in a cheap espresso machine, but it's ridiculously dismissive to say that you won't be able to make drinkable coffee.

To be clear, Illy is a third-generation family-owned company that pretty much invented the espresso machine. It also invented the process of packing coffee with inert gases to preserve freshness, and has been doing so for 80 years. This is coffee that has stood the test of time in the most demanding coffee market in the world. Dismiss it at your peril.

(I realise this is an old thread, but wanted to add this for the benefit of people who might be led down the garden path.)
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Jun 16, 2013, 6:46am

TheEndJustifiesTheBeans Said:

Illy has invested considerably more in producing consistently high-quality coffee and is the leading brand in Italy a country that knows more about espresso than the rest of the world combined. And, in this instance, the original poster says that other people report good results with this coffee, so it seems to me quite reasonable to assume that it's NOT the problem.

The vast majority of Italian coffee shops use commercial beans such as Illy and make awesome espresso, so beginners should be wary of posters who disparage these types of brands. You may not get a full, rich flavour from pre-ground Illy in a cheap espresso machine, but it's ridiculously dismissive to say that you won't be able to make drinkable coffee.

To be clear, Illy is a third-generation family-owned company that pretty much invented the espresso machine. It also invented the process of packing coffee with inert gases to preserve freshness, and has been doing so for 80 years. This is coffee that has stood the test of time in the most demanding coffee market in the world. Dismiss it at your peril.

(I realise this is an old thread, but wanted to add this for the benefit of people who might be led down the garden path.)

Posted June 15, 2013 link

illy and top quality/consistancy? Uhhh no. Having been to Italy quite a few times, Illy there is no better then in the states, which is to say pretty well below the good roasters here. Their beans are darker tasting more like roast (though not as bad as starbucks). And beans are stale by the time you get them. They may have been awesome long ago but they've become like any other mass roaster now.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extremely SOUR...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.372464179993)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+