Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Weight vs. Leveled Volume for Consistent Dose & Distribution
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Weight vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 8:52am
Subject: Re: Weight vs. Leveled Volume for Consistent Dose & Distribution

You're obviously on the right track!  Like Randy (frcn) above, it's been a long time since I had an SBDU (I went the Gaggia route, rather than the Silvia one), but a couple of observations that apply to any machine you may have -- now or in the future.

-- As you've already been told, tapping AFTER tamping is bad, but before you tamp is of little consequence and definite (in my experience) benefit.  
-- Don't worry about the tamping pressure, but be consistent in how you tamp, how much pressure you tamp with.  
-- Seeing the screw on the puck after the shot is quite common, BUT . . . lock in the portafilter with a "loaded" basket, then remove it without pulling a shot; if you see the screw, or the impression of the group screen, you've dosed too much (regardless of roaster's recommendation).

I'm glad to hear the reduction of dose to 16g and WDT has helped.  Your "output" per spout should have evened out (i.e.: the volume from one side should be approx. equal to the other) as well.  (FWIW, I dose approx. 15.5g per double ristretto.)

Basically, I think you're doing everything right so far.  Certainly there are some people here who are more "obsessive" than others; I tend not to be.  (Example:  some will weigh each and every dose before they pull the shot, as well as the final result to figure out the extraction ratio; I weigh a couple of doses on my 0.1 gram scale when dialing in a new bean, or periodically as a "check," but I never weigh each and every dose.)  The point is to do do whatever works for you -- and that means the bottom line is "How does it taste in the cup?"

Cheers from a fellow Berkeley resident,

Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
rhiannonstone
rhiannonstone

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Aeropress, French Press
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:51am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Seeing the screw on the puck after the shot is quite common, BUT . . . lock in the portafilter with a "loaded" basket, then remove it without pulling a shot; if you see the screw, or the impression of the group screen, you've dosed too much (regardless of roaster's recommendation).

Posted January 25, 2013 link

Thanks for the clarification!

I'm glad to hear the reduction of dose to 16g and WDT has helped.  Your "output" per spout should have evened out (i.e.: the volume from one side should be approx. equal to the other) as well.  (FWIW, I dose approx. 15.5g per double ristretto.)

Yep, I'm getting a beautifully even extraction now. Still a wee bit short, but I'm still fiddling with the grind, and don't mind ristrettos one bit. :)

Basically, I think you're doing everything right so far.  Certainly there are some people here who are more "obsessive" than others; I tend not to be.  (Example:  some will weigh each and every dose before they pull the shot, as well as the final result to figure out the extraction ratio; I weigh a couple of doses on my 0.1 gram scale when dialing in a new bean, or periodically as a "check," but I never weigh each and every dose.)

I think I lean a bit toward the obsessive side, at least in terms of weighing each dose. Mostly because once I started weighing, I realized how wildly the amount of beans varies from scoop to scoop, even if I'm trying hard to be consistent. Bean shapes don't play nicely with space.

Cheers from a fellow Berkeley resident

We've got so few places to get good coffee here in Berkeley proper, I figure there must be plenty of us here!
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 3:17pm

One thing I found and this is only after using the Gaggi for a short time, and then give it 3 years of non use, then start again. I had some issues that were just not clicking right, one was overweighting my dose. the second was when I was cleaning the spray head from all the grounds stuck up and around the head, the mounting screws were loose on the spray head, go figure, not more than 20 shots pulled overall. Once I got the unit cleaned and all the screws tight again, it works like a charm. So even from the factory some screws may come loose.
rabbit

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 4:58pm

try 12 grams then 13 then 14 grams  for a double shot(3 oz)
rhiannonstone
rhiannonstone

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Aeropress, French Press
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 5:12pm

rabbit Said:

The espresso I'm used to drinking (from cafes) is a 2-2.5 ounce double, almost always "overdosed" with 16g+ of coffee. I imagine a 3 ounce double from the lower doses you're suggesting would taste very different, no? Not that I'm not willing to experiment, but those numbers sound quite far from what I'm used to and what I've been reading about.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 6:48pm

A three ounce pull with a Silvia is not ideal, particularly for a new user.  The advice to begin with a 12 gram mass is an excellent one, and I will tell you why. Trying a number of 12 gram doubles will force you to tune teh grinder through a range to get around 1.75 to 2.25 ounces before blonding begins. There is very little margin for error. You will be learning to dose evenly, tamp level, and then make fine adjustments to the grinder to control things. I think that when you go to 13 through 16 (if you get that far), you will have gained a huge amount of knowledge and greatly improved your skills. If you learn to control a fickle girl like Silvia, you will be well on your way.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 11:37am

rabbit Said:

Let's do a little calculation using AndyS's brew ratios. 3oz of water (or espresso) weighs 90g. 3oz of pure crema weighs about half that (45g). For a 14g coffee dose, a 3oz shot brew ratio lies between 15% (14g/90g) and 30% (14g/45g); i.e., in cafe crema / lungo territory. Lower coffee doses just make it worse.

If you like lungos, that's fine. But 3oz is not a reasonable target volume for a normale double. I suggest you aim for half that volume, which should yield a brew ratio in the normale range.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Weight vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.29886007309)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+