Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Changing basket size
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Changing basket...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rhiannonstone
rhiannonstone
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Aeropress, French Press
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:06pm
Subject: Changing basket size

I just got a bottomless portafilter for my Rancilio Silvia, and it came with a triple filter basket. Until now I've been exclusively using the double basket that came with the Silvia. What's the benefit of the triple basket? Obviously it can be used for triples, but if I'm sticking to doubles for now, should I use the triple basket for some reason? And if so, (how much) should I increase my dose? I just tried both a 16g and 18g dose (both of which I often use for doubles) in the triple basket and, once tamped, both were still way below the basket's ridgeline, and I can't imagine all that extra space isn't going to change my extraction.
 View Profile Link to this post
sgemmett

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 1:54pm
Subject: Re: Changing basket size

I picked up one of these 6 months ago. On my Pasquini I use about 17g for my double basket and read that need to up the dose (of course) but also change the grind to a little more coase becuase of the additional coffee. I tried about 21g and it seemed like not enough and pulled a horrble shot. I then went to 22g, then 23g with a little finer grind and got the same result. Went back to the same grind as with my double at 23g and got the same result. I got tired of wasting coffee and set it aside and have been doign fine with the double basket.
It is supposed to be more forgiving, which I did not see but if you are into ristretto shots you can make a larger one of these for a more concentrated full bodied shot since you have more coffee for extration that wiht a double basket.  I failled with my brief attempt but have been eyeing it lately with some interest in giving it another try so I will be watching this thread for additional info. Thanks for asking the same question I had
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013, 3:29pm

typically triple baskets are filled to the 20-22g range  if you are not happy with the espresso you're making using the double basket, then you may be interested in updosing by using the triple.

and just to make sure...you can pop out the triple basket and use your double basket with the bottomless handle.  (I know this seems obvious, but you'd be surprised at some of the questions that come up.)

read this...it's a great explanation on how to adjust your shots to your liking, and in doing so, it inadvertently explains why one would want to

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:14am

You would use that larger basket when you get beans that recommend at 20+gram dose or if you feel like the beans you are using need an updose.  but if you happy with your dose don't change it.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rhiannonstone
rhiannonstone

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Aeropress, French Press
Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013, 12:12pm

Thanks everyone! I do know I can put the double basket in the new bottomless portafilter, but I was curious about what advantages there would be to the triple since it came with one of those rather than what I'd assume to be the more commonly-used double. I get now that it can accommodate a larger dose and therefore be more forgiving.

I'm still getting to know both my machine and grinder, so I haven't yet settled into a routine that gets me consistently great shots--just a lot of okay-to-good ones. I'll play around with both baskets and see what happens!
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 5:24am

rhiannonstone Said:

Thanks everyone! I do know I can put the double basket in the new bottomless portafilter, but I was curious about what advantages there would be to the triple since it came with one of those rather than what I'd assume to be the more commonly-used double. I get now that it can accommodate a larger dose and therefore be more forgiving.

I'm still getting to know both my machine and grinder, so I haven't yet settled into a routine that gets me consistently great shots--just a lot of okay-to-good ones. I'll play around with both baskets and see what happens!

Posted February 2, 2013 link

I love triples. Figure a normal double is really 14g and most of us up dose to 17-19 for doubles. When I use double for caps I use a 5oz cup and it is mostly gone before I even sit down. A normal dose triple would be 21g for 3oz, I like up dosed triples of 24-26g for 3oz for my 8oz cap cups. Unfortunately my new E-61 will not let me up dose past 22g since the screen protrudes lower in the basket then my Oscar did so I have to reduce the volume of extraction to account for this so now at least I have a couple of extra sips after I sit down.

Most triple baskets I have are smaller then the HQ triples so I had a hard time ever calling them triples. If you consider that many up dose a double with 3-5 extra grams I would expect to to the same for a triple. It all boils down to dose vs volume and adjusting values can either bring a new flavor or keep it the same using a sliding scale.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Changing basket...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254104137421)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+