Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Hi i'm new here, and my bugatti Diva is new in my house..
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi i'm new here,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: K-30 Vario,Pharos, Vario-W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 8:35pm
Subject: Re: Hi i'm new here, and my bugatti Diva is new in my house..

The most common are flat or convex (I believe that would be the "american curve"). I haven't really heard of the other ones. I prefer flat myself, it's really a matter of personal preference. I would venture to say flat is really the most common, but may get argument on that- we'll see I guess. As for the handle that's really one thing you can just pick what you like, and what looks like it would be comfortable for you to use. Always funny that even rather expensive espresso machines come with those cheap plastic tampers. But then it is fun to pick one out you really like. I have a Bumper tamper with the bulb handle, came with a rubber base. I really like it :)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:25pm

I have a Solis 166/*$$ Barista grinder. It sucks for espresso. It is ok for press pot...yeah, just ok in my opinion. I second the proposal to get a Hario for the time being until you decide what you want from an electric and save up the money for it.

Tampers come in so many different variations at the base surface that I think it can't possibly matter. However, I've heard people say to match the base to your shower screen (whether flat or curved) some swear by one only to hear someone else with the same gear swear by another. They make ridged ones, which I just can't seem to understand...I mean, if the idea is to present a nice puck to the group for an even extraction, why the f&@k would one want to create an uneven surface? I can't imagine that would do anything other than promote channelling. I think the most important feature is that it fits your baskets well. Second most that it feels good in your hand.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ZzLine
ZzLine

Espresso: Francis Francis X3
Grinder: The point is to ENJOY THE...
Roaster: Dualit--> The English Verson...
Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 8:45am

Ok guys!
Listen, I have been so lucky to get the chance to try out det Dualit compared to the Gaggia MM on two different machines.

First one to go was Francis Francis X3 with Gaggia MM and with the same setting as Diva produced best crema (which I choose to call this light brown, tenacious cream) with 3rd up from the finest ground.

All three with double shot's:
Francis Francis X3 at the 3rd finest with Gaggia MM = 9cl full after 9 sec and mostly water.
Francis Francis X3 at the second finest with Gaggia MM = 9cl full after 15 sec and watery.
Francis Francis X3 with the finest ground beans with Gaggia MM = 9cl full after 20 seconds and a little crema.

So I changed over to the Dualit grinder and went straight on 3rd up from the finest still at Francis Francis X3:
It ran through in 10 seconds but a little crema.
Went straight to the finest setting, and out came crema espresso in 28 seconds :-D

Now I'll put the Gaggia MM for sale at the secondhand market and considering if the Bugatti Diva is about to suffer the same fate as the grinder!

Sorry about me going back and forth and you joined at it guys, but I have not the patience to wait until I get more money in the bank.
I want the best I can afford and I want it now!
ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 1:42am

emradguy Said:

I have a Solis 166/*$$ Barista grinder. It sucks for espresso. It is ok for press pot...yeah, just ok in my opinion. I second the proposal to get a Hario for the time being until you decide what you want from an electric and save up the money for it.

Tampers come in so many different variations at the base surface that I think it can't possibly matter. However, I've heard people say to match the base to your shower screen (whether flat or curved) some swear by one only to hear someone else with the same gear swear by another. They make ridged ones, which I just can't seem to understand...I mean, if the idea is to present a nice puck to the group for an even extraction, why the f&@k would one want to create an uneven surface? I can't imagine that would do anything other than promote channelling. I think the most important feature is that it fits your baskets well. Second most that it feels good in your hand.

Posted January 28, 2013 link

From what i have learn in here a, flat would make sense, yeah.
Might just buy half of it and ask a friend, a good handyman to make me one with a personal touch :-)

I have a neck injury that does not go so well with a hand-operated grinder - so I'll stick to this that impressed compared to the Gaggia MM anyway.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:12pm

ZzLine Said:

Might just buy half of it and ask a friend, a good handyman to make me one with a personal touch :-)

Posted January 30, 2013 link

yeah, I think so anyways.  I have used flat, c-flat, and eurocurve. These terms come from the Reg Barber website.  I don't think they are universal. The c-flat is a flat one with a slight angle up at the outside 3 or 4 mm, supposedly to prevent side channeling by packing the grounds preferentially peripherally, while still giving a predominantly flat base.  I haven't noticed a difference.  The eurocurve is shallow curve compared to the american curve which is like a bowl almost (exaggerating).  I haven't noticed a difference here either...who knows, maybe it's me?

If you have a friend who can make you a custom handle that would be great, especially if he/she can do it off of a mold of your grip, to maximize comfort.

ZzLine Said:

I have a neck injury that does not go so well with a hand-operated grinder - so I'll stick to this that impressed compared to the Gaggia MM anyway.

Well, this makes sense for sure.  Had I known sooner, I would have stopped making this suggestion :)

ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:20am

emradguy Said:

yeah, I think so anyways.  I have used flat, c-flat, and eurocurve. These terms come from the Reg Barber website.  I don't think they are universal. The c-flat is a flat one with a slight angle up at the outside 3 or 4 mm, supposedly to prevent side channeling by packing the grounds preferentially peripherally, while still giving a predominantly flat base.  I haven't noticed a difference.  The eurocurve is shallow curve compared to the american curve which is like a bowl almost (exaggerating).  I haven't noticed a difference here either...who knows, maybe it's me?

If you have a friend who can make you a custom handle that would be great, especially if he/she can do it off of a mold of your grip, to maximize comfort.

Well, this makes sense for sure.  Had I known sooner, I would have stopped making this suggestion :)

Sorry about that, emradguy..

I were supposed to tell that in the first place of course, but didn't think it matter.
I tend to forget my neck injury constantly even myself.

Anyways, my new Francis Francis X3 (http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/francisfrancisx3) deliver good crema and and I have found a Norwegian coffee shop / online
store in Oslo (the capital of Norway), which roasts beans that they have imported from different locations.
With regard to the link below, I can only say, thank god for google translator;-)
Click Here (www.kaffa.no)
Click Here (www.kaffa.no)

So right now I'm sitting here with a coffee latté from their beans that were roasted Jan. 23:-D
AND my beans are kept dry and dark in a tupperware box, actually yhe the only one I ever owned.

So now I hope you guys may well say: Line has learned a little bit of us about the Barista subject
so you are slightly pleased that she has at least learned something! ;-)
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:35am

ZzLine Said:

So now I hope you guys may well say: Line has learned a little bit of us about the Barista subject

Posted February 5, 2013 link

More importantly, I am pleased you are now able to make good espresso-based drinks that you enjoy! ...and, yeah, it does also feel good to have been able to help you, but I just try to think about all the people who've helped me in the past :)  Maybe you want to start helping other here too?  Just think to what you knew when you made your first post and how far you've already advanced...there are always new members who are at the place you started!  I think sometimes they are more convinced to hear from someone who has just recently learned what the more experienced users are trying to tell them.

ZzLine
ZzLine

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:02pm

Yeah you're  right :) :) :) :)
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 1:33pm

ZzLine Said:

OK, lets start with the tamper. If the group screen 9the screen under the group is slightly rounded, go with a slight convex tamper. (American curve)
If the screen is flat, go with a flat tamper. You MUST know the exact sizer of your group.
Now, you seen to prefer machines that are visually striking to those that may look less "handsome" but might be better at consistency. (Such as a Silvia as opposed to the Francis Francis)
That is, of course your right, but in the opinion of most here, a mistake as regards the actual QUALITY of the espresso.
I would stick with the manual grinder, as none of the grinders, especially the Dualit will give you as consistent a grind. The Skerton would be the better choice, but the Slim will do just fine.
Please understand that the MOST important part of the "equation" right now is that your coffee be beans be FRESHLY ROASTED. A $5000 machine and grinder will usually produce NO or little crema and body with stale beans. The exception being blends that contain a LOT of Robusta bean, as opposed to Arabica.

I recommend you take JonR's advice and use his link to find beans.
I can't say which machine is better, the Francis or your Bugatti, but either, with your Hario should produce pretty good espresso AS LONG as you use freshly roasted beans
These beans are at their best 5-15 days after the roast date.
Remember, not ALL coffees , even fresh make great espresso. Some might be to "sharp/acidic" tasting for you, others too dark.
Ask the roasting company you order from what they recommend for YOUR taste preference.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013, 1:37pm

ZzLine Said:

So right now I'm sitting here with a coffee latté from their beans that were roasted Jan. 23:-D
AND my beans are kept dry and dark in a tupperware box, actually yhe the only one I ever owned.

Posted February 5, 2013 link

I just saw this posting!!
We are all pleased that you have survived the journey...thus far.
The point is to ENJOY THE COFFEE, not stress about it.
You will be surprised how, with a bit more practice how it will get even better.
Have you purchased a new tamper as yet? Or did I miss that?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 8 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi i'm new here,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.386640071869)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+