Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Help is needed to decide my espresso machine and grinder!
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help is needed...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 9:54am
Subject: Re: Help is needed to decide my espresso machine and grinder!

Having used my Duetto II for over a year, without the option to plumb in, I am not only envious of your adjacent sink, but scratching my head wondering what you're waiting for?  If it were me, I'd have drilled the hole in the counter and set up an inline carbon filter and softener while waiting for the machine to arrive.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
gearbolt
gearbolt
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Vac Pot: Kona
Roaster: TBD
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:24pm

emradguy Said:

Having used my Duetto II for over a year, without the option to plumb in, I am not only envious of your adjacent sink, but scratching my head wondering what you're waiting for?  If it were me, I'd have drilled the hole in the counter and set up an inline carbon filter and softener while waiting for the machine to arrive.

Posted February 11, 2013 link

Ha ha ha.   :)    You are absolutely right.   If I were single, I would just do these things right away.  When I took the photos
I on purpose move the setup away from the faucet since I know people will start asking why you are still using the water tank
and empty the drip tray by hands.  

We just finished our remodeling a year ago and at that time I wasn't thinking to go down the semi-auto espresso road since
I had a super-auto when I planed for the interior setups.  That was a big mistake I made.     ;(

Anyway, I am thankful that my wife "allows" me to have such huge machines in the kitchen.  You won't see any unnecessary
appliances in our kitchen.  All of them are either built-in or hidden inside the doors/panels.    

I plan to teach her to make her own capp.  I hope that once she gets involved more and knows the tasks of adding water in
the tank and dump the drip tray water, she will come to her "sense".  

Oh, by the way, I use the Chrome's Incognito window for the post.  :)
gearbolt
gearbolt

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:26pm

The rattling of the drip tray is because of this on the left side of the tray:

gearbolt: Machine_Espresso-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
gearbolt
gearbolt

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:27pm

gearbolt Said:

The rattling of the drip tray is because of this on the left side of the tray:

The right side is OK :

gearbolt: Machine_Espresso-1-4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 12:46pm

Great grinder and I am glad you are happy with your machine.  It takes a lb or 2 to get going and so people only getting one lb when they first start are out of beans just about the time they get it dialed in. (I did that)  So you did good getting a 5lb bag to start off with.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 1:58pm

gearbolt Said:

Ha ha ha.   :)    You are absolutely right.   If I were single, I would just do these things right away.  When I took the photos
I on purpose move the setup away from the faucet since I know people will start asking why you are still using the water tank
and empty the drip tray by hands.  

We just finished our remodeling a year ago and at that time I wasn't thinking to go down the semi-auto espresso road since
I had a super-auto when I planed for the interior setups.  That was a big mistake I made.     ;(

Anyway, I am thankful that my wife "allows" me to have such huge machines in the kitchen.  You won't see any unnecessary
appliances in our kitchen.  All of them are either built-in or hidden inside the doors/panels.    

I plan to teach her to make her own capp.  I hope that once she gets involved more and knows the tasks of adding water in
the tank and dump the drip tray water, she will come to her "sense".  

Oh, by the way, I use the Chrome's Incognito window for the post.  :)

awesome!  you're lucky she's involved.  Once she gets tired of filling the reservoir and dumping the drip tray before it overflows, you'll get the green light for plumbing in.  My wife will just go to *$$ if I'm not around to make her lattes.  So, well...I'm going to have to wait until my she's ready to give up our breakfast area for a freestanding bar, because the estimate I just got to bring plumbing to where my machine is, came back in the several thousands - yikes!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
gearbolt
gearbolt

Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 2:07pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

FWIW, I find this is a very consistent grinder -- I only weigh my doses once every week or so, more as a "check" than anything else. It never varies by more than 0.05 grams.  

It's truly a joy to use.

Yes, I also feel that the K30 Vario grinder's timer/grind amount is consistent and that was the main reason I just used the
timer to control my dosing.  Almost each time when I did the grind re-distribution, I could get the same feel of the grind
amount in the PF.  But I did remember that there were one time, I got much less grind in the end (I paused the grind and
then resume).  I think it may be because I stopped the grinder very close to the end of the grind time(?) and somehow
the reminding amount does not have enough push to fall out(?).    

Yes, I absolutely agree with you that it is truly a joy to use the K30 Vario, even compared to the Duetto.  It is so quiet
(compared to my old grinder which is not a real espresso grinder) and very fast.   It is funny that sometimes I wish it could
slow down a bit so I can enjoy the moment.  :)    Maybe it is my caffeine talking.
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Feb 11, 2013, 6:59pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

FWIW, I find this is a very consistent grinder -- I only weigh my doses once every week or so, more as a "check" than anything else. It never varies by more than 0.05 grams.

Maybe my own grinder is at fault. I can grind for the exact same amount of time and get as much as a 1.5 gram variance. 14.4 grams on one double, 15.8 on another.. same exact grind time.
Could be my coffee... Otherwise, I'm not sure what is causing the large variances. I use Grindz every time I switch to a new batch of beans and grind at least 5 grams of coffee before using it.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
gearbolt
gearbolt

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 8:11pm

qualin Said:

Maybe my own grinder is at fault. I can grind for the exact same amount of time and get as much as a 1.5 gram variance. 14.4 grams on one double, 15.8 on another.. same exact grind time.
Could be my coffee... Otherwise, I'm not sure what is causing the large variances. I use Grindz every time I switch to a new batch of beans and grind at least 5 grams of coffee before using it.

I actually weight the grinds 3 times at different times.  
They are all 16.5g for 3.3 sec.    My scale is only down to
0.1g resolution.   It is not bad at all.  ;)
gearbolt
gearbolt

Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 10:43pm

Finally, I had the courage to try the bottomless PF.

Here is the link :

Click here

It is 21g grinds (Redbird espresso) and brews 2oz in about 30sec.  

I am interested to know what went wrong.   Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

David
showing page 5 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help is needed...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.426446914673)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+