Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Shot to slow/fast
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Shot to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mitchedu

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 3:51pm
Subject: Shot to slow/fast

Good day,

I am a struggling beginner so forgive my lack of knowledge. I am having some issues with my new breville bes830xl. This is an "upgrade" to my recently broken down delonghi ec702. My grinder is a rancillio rocky. With the delonghi and grind level set to 10 (using unpressurized double basket) I was getting 24 second pulls with freshly roasted beans from a local roaster.   I received my breville 2 days ago and tried it with the same beans, same grind level and once again an unpressurized double basket. My pull was 11 seconds. I should also state that I am filling the basket to the top and using a precalibrated tamper to tamp 30lbs down approx 1/8th of an inch. I next started adjusting my grind down one step at a time eventually choking he machine out at 3. I found level 5-6 game me about 21 seconds with decent crema but for some reason it tasted like bitter a$$.  My question is has anyone with similar equipment found a happy medium with grind fineness and pouring time ??? I realize the pump is probably stronger than my delonghi, but I found the delonghi easier to find the sweet spot... Any help would be appreciated. Ps lots of good helpful tips in these forums, thanks!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 9:47am
Subject: Re: Shot to slow/fast

Hi, welcome.
You should get better than that with what you have.
First get yourself a scale that reads in 1/10 g. Volume is not a close enough measure to be consistent. You can measure either before or after grinding.
You want to end up with 14 to 18 g for a double shot.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 1:38am
Subject: Re: Shot to slow/fast

Mitchedu Said:

I should also state that I am filling the basket to the top

Posted February 21, 2013 link

Like cal said, you should weigh your dose before you pull your shot, for better consistency. Some blends taste better with a heavier dose, others with a lighter dose.

Mitchedu Said:

I next started adjusting my grind down one step at a time eventually choking he machine out at 3.

This is a good sign. It means that your coffee is still fresh, which is encouraging.

Mitchedu Said:

I found level 5-6 game me about 21 seconds with decent crema but for some reason it tasted like bitter a$$.

Once you get your grinder at about the right setting, start playing with the dosage instead of the grinder setting.

Try adjusting your dosage between 14 to 19 grams and try shot times between 20 to 30 seconds. Heck, try under extracting or over extracting the coffee to see how it changes the flavors of the coffee.

Underextracted coffee may have a "Citrus"-like flavor, while over extracted coffee may have a "Burnt" flavor. Where you know if the extraction is right is when you can taste all of the "Depth" of the coffee
and that those flavors don't get drowned out by the Citrus or Burnt notes. Bitterness may be normal for that particular blend. If you don't like that, switch blends and try something else.

Good luck!

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Shot to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26647400856)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+