Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
OPENING NEW CAFE NEED HELP
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > OPENING NEW CAFE...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
skeez

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Feb 20, 2013, 11:07pm
Subject: Re: OPENING NEW CAFE NEED HELP

Like Diggi said, I'm the numbers guy. A barista approached me to invest into his coffee business idea.
I know him very well and we both love to enjoy our coffee. He knows his products well, I for one just want to do some out of the box research of my own to see if it's a profitable business. This is why I'm asking questions . I like to know how much milk goes into a latte or espresso per an 8oz/ 12oz cup
Every ounce counts

This is why is was asking the questions before.

And boys please don't get into cars, it's a coffee topic.

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 5:07am

Hi, not  to be offensive but cars are a way to try to get people to relate to what we are saying. We very often go that direction for examples.

Honestly, beans per dose, are the smallest detail. Don't forget that there will be several shots per hour dumped down the drain to just keep the grinder in calibration.

I may guess for calculation use, use something like 25 g per double for a rough guide.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
hankua
hankua
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Salvatore One Black
Grinder: Pharos,Rossi RR45OD, Lido,...
Drip: CCD
Roaster: Yang-Chia 800n
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 6:24am

Getting a precise doserless grinder is going to cut down on coffee waste; roasting the cafe's coffee in house reduces cost and adds another dimension to the business.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 7:10am

skeez Said:

Like Diggi said, I'm the numbers guy. A barista approached me to invest into his coffee business idea.
I know him very well and we both love to enjoy our coffee. He knows his products well . . .

Posted February 20, 2013 link

But you don't trust him to give you straight answers to your questions???  Sounds like a great start.

skeez Said:

I for one just want to do some out of the box research of my own to see if it's a profitable business.

Well, thousands of other people do.

skeez Said:

This is why I'm asking questions . I like to know how much milk goes into a latte or espresso per an 8oz/ 12oz cup
Every ounce counts

Have you ever walked into a café?  The difference in an 8-ounce latter versus a 12-ounce latte is MILK, not coffee -- unless someone asks for an extra shot, and then you charge them for it.

I'm not trying to be difficult -- although I'm sure it sounds like I am -- but I confess to be stunned by your questions.  Even your investment advisor generally knows something about your business when offering you advice on the tax consequences of, or investment in, _____________.  (The impact can vary by industry.)

A standard double espresso (the most common size used) can range from 14 grams (Italian "standard") to 18-20 grams (North American "standard").  Figuring 25 grams will more-than-cover for any wastage.

You will be paying wholesale for your coffee.  I pay retail.  At a retail price of $15/pound, 25 grams = 83.33˘ per dose.  Your cost will be less.

When people who know little or nothing about coffee come here to ask questions, it's common to reach for some analogy that will help the person better understand the issue at hand.  Automotive analogies are commonplace on this site.  Don't let it bother you.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 9:52am

Jason, very good info and assistance. I am hoping that his barista friend with the shop concept has more knowledge about this business than the OP. For the OP, going into a business situation and trying to crunch the numbers over a concept for which he has no idea is just a plan to find a way to dispose of disposable cash.

The man who mentored my father back in the early 50's when he went to work for the Northrop Corporation told as story once of a new kid who was cutting some sort of self-stick masking paper. He said, "He was cutting it to half a gnat's ass and taking hours to get it done." The kid was missing the big picture in that the few cents of paper he was saving was a fraction of a percent of what it was costing the company in wages he was being paid. Worrying about finding three ants in the house makes no sense when the foundation is about to collapse from termites because you failed to have it inspected. There- I did it without an automotive analogy.   ;-)

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Intrepid510

Posted Thu Feb 21, 2013, 6:01pm

Here take a look at these training videos, I thnk they can be of help. http://www.metropoliscoffee.com/university/training/

Also, find a good roaster that wants to help you be successful as a wholesale client. I think that might be of help as well.

Less water, more grounds.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:32pm

Those videos are very good.

I would think a good commercial roaster will know how many pounds a week a "X" sized coffee shop goes through and how much coffee that made per week and the cost per pound.  I think that would be a better place to start.  They would have all the numbers you want.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:48pm

I've told this story before.  Well, it is my story.  But it was an incredibly important lesson for me.  Some years ago I was thinking seriously of going into the retail ice cream business.  After all, I make really good ice cream and the community I live in had no retail ice cream stores at the time.  So ....... I went to a Penn State short course called "How to make money in the retail ice cream business."  I thought that was pertinent.  I ate some good ice cream there, and got some good information.  The most important lesson I learned though was : If you want to go into this business, be sure to work in it first.  If you have to pay an ice cream store to let you work for them for one summer, do it.  It'll be money well spent.  I reckon the same advice would pertain to the coffee shop business.  In the end, I still make good home made ice cream.  Somebody else opened exactly the business I was thinking of in exactly the location I had in mind.  It was a frozen custard shop with homemade cookies, right across from the entrance to a local mall.  They went bankrupt in less than a year.
skeez

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 4:09pm

Thank you all for your comments. They're so appreciated.
Now, what espresso machine you guys recommend for high volume
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 5:46pm

skeez Said:

Thank you all for your comments. They're so appreciated.
Now, what espresso machine you guys recommend for high volume

Posted February 25, 2013 link

:-O

You need a machine that has local support. A machine that can be fixed that day or the next, regardless as to what it may need. So find local suppliers and talk to them as to what they recommend. Some roasteries also supply and service machines and will "deal" on machines if you are buying their coffee. Also, talk to your barista as there may be machines he/she favors. When all else fails, La Marzocco. Maybe two machines, depending on traffic. This way, if one goes down, you are still capable of producing.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > OPENING NEW CAFE...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.330245018005)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+