Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Milk substitute for latte, celiacs recovery
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Milk substitute...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Jeherr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 4:03pm
Subject: Milk substitute for latte, celiacs recovery

So I've recently been diagnosed with celiacs disease (gluten intolerance). I realize some of you may **** a brick when I say this but I used to primarily get caffeine from energy drinks. Horrible I know but they were cheap and fast and I'm a poor and busy college student. Anyway, after some recovery time I hit a plateau and was better but still feeling symptoms of celiacs. I eliminated the energy drinks and switched to coffee, primarily lattes, occasionaly just espresso. (Celiacs a blessing in disguise?). Felt a huge improvement within a week. Now I seem to have hit another plateau meanwhile my love of coffee has grown incredibly. I'm new to celiacs and much of any regular coffee habit so bare with me. Dairy is most likely the next thing I have to eliminate from my diet to see improvement as celiacs have a hard time with lactose until they have made a real good recovery. So I am looking for a substitute to dairy milk(hopefully temporary until I can "completely" recover) which would be good for making lattes. It should probably also be noted that a lot of celiacs have problems with soy as well, so I think soy milks are not an option either. Basically, what types of milk have any of you celiacs or lactose intolerants found work the best aside from the soy milks? Currently I use a Mr. Coffee ECMP50 at home, not the best machine by far, but for my first machine I didn't want to invest too much, nor could I afford to. I will probably upgrade to a much better model in a year or whenever it breaks down, I just thought it might be relevant to know what quality of machine I have for the purposes of knowing how limited I currently am in frothing capabilities. At any rate, hopefully this will be a temporary adjustment, I've just grown to love my coffee so much now that I don't want to sacrifice any more quality than I can afford to.
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 5:11pm
Subject: Re: Milk substitute for latte, celiacs recovery

I would try soy.  Organic is a great start.  I personally like Vanilla soy over milk itself.  The amount of vitamins are a huge plus.  IMO vanilla soy is a better sub.  You may stick with soy after. :p  Makes great foam too btw. If the brand "so good" is available get that.
Click Here
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
bdbayer
bdbayer

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Baratza Maestro
Drip: Chemex. Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 5:24pm

Jeherr,

I too am gluten intolerant and find that one latte a day gives me no problems, two is borderline and three is a problem.  

Anything with cold milk will give me problems in any qty, yet a single latte is okay.

It might be something to do with the breakdown of fats when the milk is frothed or it might just be that my mind won't let me give up a good latte.

Maybe you could get by with one latte a day and drink espresso for the rest of your fix?

It's certainly worth a try, and it's gluten free.

Barry B.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 5:55pm

Best soymilk for coffee I have found is the Kikoman Pearl. The "Original" (which is 'plain' and sweetened) is nice, and I also like the Vanilla. They stretch very well for soy and taste wonderful. The Kirkland (Costco brand) vanilla soy is also very good and comes in a close second. pacific Foods Soy Blenders are a good choice as well. Silk is tasty but doesn't stretch worth a darn, and Safeway "O" brand not only does not stretch well, it tastes bad and has very little body.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Jeherr

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 6:01pm

Thanks for the fast responses.

Burner0000, although Soy is gluten free technically, soy bean are often grown in rotation with wheat products, harvested by the same equipment, etc. etc etc. resulting in a surprisingly large amount of gluten in soy, even though soy beans are naturally gluten free. It's true that soy milk COULD work for me, but it would not be unlikely at all for me to get a batch containing a significant amount of gluten occasionally. If only I could make sure all soy milk I got were made locally, as in Iowa we seem to only grow soy beans and corn, so I wouldn't have to worry about contamination then. In any case, I already have eliminated soy from my diet, as it was much easier to remove than dairy, so I don't think adding it back into my diet is a good idea at this time. Unless maybe you know something I don't? I suppose I don't know your background with gluten intolerance. Is organic soy milk supposed to be more strictly gluten free?

bdbayer, that's probably a good place to start. I hadn't really thought about that, but I suppose that even just reducing the amount of milk I intake from my coffee would show results if it were going to help. That way I could see if investing in another type of milk would even be worth it. Interesting thoughts about the fats breaking down with the heat from frothing. I'll have to look into that more. I'm a chemistry major and my fiance is in pharmacy school, so I think between her and I we could get a pretty good idea of how the heating affects the milk and how the body will react to it. Thank you both.
DavecUK

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 8:41pm

There no gluten in milk is there, it's a protein I associate with wheat and grains?

However lactose intolerance is quite common with Coeliac disease, which might be your problem. There is a new milk out which might help

http://www.a2milk.co.uk/

You perhaps have something similar in the USA?
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:07am

?lactose free milk.
RichardCoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:32am

I love a good latte.  But, I find that when using good coffee an Americano is almost just as good.  Actually, lets me taste more of the coffee.
DavecUK

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:04am

diggi Said:

?lactose free milk.

Posted March 4, 2013 link

No, but the web site explains it all...best you read that.
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 8:23am

DavecUK Said:

No, but the web site explains it all...best you read that.

Posted March 4, 2013 link

No, I understand that. My ? Query remark was for the OP to consider lactose free if the only concern is the lactose.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Milk substitute...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289316892624)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+