Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What exactly are...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 2:20pm
Subject: What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?

Just wondering what the deal is with VST baskets.  I own a Silvia V3 and I have come across several posts about these.  Do they improve shot quality?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 5:11am
Subject: Re: What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?

VST baskets are designed to have a highly uniform and precise pattern, diameter and circularity of their holes. During manufacturing, the holes are tested to be within a few microns of each other in their shape and size. All of this is supposed to give you a more even and better extraction. The baskets are highly popular among coffee geeks around the world. Whether they're worth it or not, you'll have to find out for yourself, I guess.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 8:56am

Interesting.. Better extraction means better taste. Time to start hunting around. Do you know of any good online deals for them? 58mm.
slybarman
slybarman

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 9:31am

Burner0000 Said:

Interesting.. Better extraction means better taste. Time to start hunting around. Do you know of any good online deals for them? 58mm.

Posted March 7, 2013 link

I think they have a deal going now where you buy their pricey tamper (58.35mm) and you basically get their pricey basket for free. Taken together, it is not a bad deal.
MatP

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Macap MXP
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 10:25am

I have never heard of VST baskets before, but I got a HQ basket from espressoparts, and it made a great difference compared to the stock basket of the Gaggia. The price is great as well (6 or 7 bucks for the 14gr which will hold up to 20gr without any problem, perfect for a double).

Is the VST really $30? Anyone compared it to HQ baskets from espressoparts?

Edit: here is the basket I use, and am very happy with: http://www.espressoparts.com/EPF_870N

Thx

MatP
Burner0000

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 12:40pm

Yup.. $30 is fine considering how much I will be using it.  espressoparts is too expensive for me unless I am making a large order.  I live in Canada.
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Drip: chemex
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 1:16pm

You know, I am not sure if it is worth it but it sure does make me feel better. I know the original gaggia classic filters I have are absolute garbage. No comparison there.

After investing in a grinder, PID, and other items. It seems silly to quibble over 20 bucks (16 shipped for the EPs one and 37 shipped for the VST).

I have a 15g Ridged one and just ordered a 18g ridgeless. I have a 22g or something like that triple that isn't VST. It sucks that I cant compare them because they are all different sizes.

However, throw some scientific research on each filter backet in the shipping box and it makes me feel better.
MatP

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 1:31pm

Brianl,

Spending more money does not make me feel better. A better coffee on the other hand will. So of course $20 is not much, but it is not a reason to spend them if it does not make a better coffee, does it?

BTW, espressoparts has free shipping on parts within the US, so now you are off $30 in your calculation ;-)

Cheers

MatP
brianl

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Drip: chemex
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 1:58pm

they have never given me free shipping. so unelss i'm doing something wrong or there is a price limit.

The point is this. have you ever ordered one? They provide the details of their tests that SHOW the precision. So I know I'm getting the best product in those terms. The ones you mentioned, I see no such thing. Therefore, you completely misread my post.
MatP

Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:20pm

Brianl,

from the beginning I mentioned I do not know the VST baskets. I am just giving OP an alternative worth looking into, especially given the price difference. I also expressed my interest into knowing if anyone ever made a side by side comparison. I never said you are wrong or whatever, so you should not feel offended.

For the free shipping at espressoparts, you can use the code PARTSSHIPFREE at check out. They advertise it at the very top of their website.

Thx

MatP
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What exactly are...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278260946274)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+