Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What exactly are...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Jmanespresso
Jmanespresso
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Compak K10 - Vario
Vac Pot: Yama-SY5/SY8/TCA5
Drip: V60, Beehouse, CCD
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: What exactly are VST baskets and are they worth it?

EPNW baskets are not VST baskets.  They are made in the same idea.  Precision machine holes, as opposed to a random and inconsistent punch, on old school baskets.  Ive got every HQ basket EPNW makes, and while I like them, actually USING them for me is no different than a regular basket, except for maybe the grind setting.  They're nice baskets, Id buy them again.

VST baskets are a different beast entirely, and honestly, if you're interested in trying out the VST/Strada baskets, you should read the in-depth thread(s) on Home-Barista to really find out what the deal is.  Mark Prince wrote an Article on them as well, I also suggest reading that.  Ive got only one VST, a ridged 18gram.  I admit, I have not had good luck with it, but I don't think I gave it a fair shot.  I plan to order a couple other sizes, and ridgeless ones, and give them a solid second try with a flat tamper and my best attitude.  Will they make better coffee?  Idk.  But I haven't heard much to the tune of "I hate VST baskets, Im going back to regular ones"//  In fact, just the opposite...

Follow Your Bliss

Coffee makes your constantly overcome your prejudices and re-evaluate your own "received wisdoms" when it comes to judging cup flavors. -Tom Owen, SweetMarias
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 3:11pm

Yeah, I'm lazy with typing so usually it comes off more tense than intended. I try to mix it up with smilies ;)

I just wanted to clarify my point that i don't just assume the basket is better because it costs more. The precision tests they do prove that much. Now as for your important point...better in the cup. I can grind finer and the channeling is much less of a problem. However, I can say they are better, just not if it's $30 better. But I have a hard time sleeping at night knowing i skimped out.

Now that you mention the free shipping. I might get those baskets you mentioned and do a test. OR at least do some shopping.
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 6:01pm

Burner0000 Said:

Do they improve shot quality?

Posted March 5, 2013 link

Looking at your posts (you seem to ask this question often), I'd respond that you shouldn't rely solely on buying stuff to "improve shot quality".  Good tools can improve shot quality but not without a skilled operator.  A tool doesn't do anything by itself and will work poorly in unskilled hands and that's not just limited to coffee.

Burner0000 Said:

are they worth it?

Posted March 5, 2013 link

Worth's always subjective.  On any topic you'll find those that say yes and those that say no.  It's impossible for anyone to tell you what you will or will not find worthwhile.  Best is to read up, see if it sounds like it's your thing and then try and see for yourself.  I have VST baskets but I wouldn't say that they have drastically improved my espresso.  YMMV.
adelemac

Espresso: MyPressiTwist
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex; EsproPress;...
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 6:28pm

49th Parallel carries VST baskets, and I just saw on their website that they are on sale

Click Here (www.49thparallelroasters.com)

Don't know what they charge for shipping.
adelemac

Espresso: MyPressiTwist
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Chemex; EsproPress;...
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 6:29pm

the 15 gram baskets are out of stock but they have the rest in stock
fwtechwiz

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 2:45pm

I just got my 18 g VST today, without changing my grind setting I went from a 21 second shot to just under 11 seconds!  I will be dialing the grinder back in over the next couple days for sure.  I was surprized, however, just how tasty the shot was.  I figured an 11 second shot would be swill, sink shot material but it was actually quite tasty.  Can't wait to see what the shot will look and taste like when I get the grind dialed back in!

It's interesting to see the histogram of the hole sizes that was included.  Extremely tight distribution of hole sizes, looks like only 6 holes out of 727 beyond the 3 sigma high or low!
fwtechwiz

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Hario Skerton
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 3:37pm

Ok, after three shots my grinder is dialed back in, getting almost 2 oz in 24 seconds.  I'm using Redbird Espresso..admittedly from the freezer and the last of my 5 lb. purchase so it's not the freshest.  It seems the VST basket's profile lets you grind much finer without choking out the flow..allowing for a better extraction.   And it seriously shows in the taste and mouthfeel.  Smooth Snickers Bar heaven!!
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 4:46pm

So, ridged or ridgeless?

My thought is that the ridged ones just make it more difficult to remove the basket from the portafilter.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
brianl

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 7:57pm

qualin Said:

So, ridged or ridgeless?

My thought is that the ridged ones just make it more difficult to remove the basket from the portafilter.

Posted March 16, 2013 link

I agree. Ridge is mostly best to help you tamp straight.

I have both and both are snug. No reason for me to have ridge.
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 16, 2013, 8:26pm

brianl Said:

Ridge is mostly best to help you tamp straight.

Posted March 16, 2013 link

Not sure how this follows, maybe you could clarify what part of the ridge feature helps you tamp straight (and how)?  

It seems to me that the ridge is only there to help lock the basket into the portafilter body.  
As far as I can tell, the ridge is unrelated to the angle of the tamper piston in a basket

Tamping straight down is a product of practice for technique.  If you have a very close fit between the tamper piston and the basket then I could envision how that ca physically limit the angle of the tamper piston in the basket and in that way it might promote straighter tamping.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What exactly are...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349154949188)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+