Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Help with pulling shot with Alex 3
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Italo2275

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 6:29pm
Subject: Help with pulling shot with Alex 3

I am having a hard time pulling a good tasting shot and not sure why.I am thinking my grinder could be the issue. One knotch make a huge difference on my new Electronic Mazzer Mini.But then I might be wrong.
Temp is set to 198, and pressure at 9.5 bars, 20 amp plug and using the water tank. Coffe for now I am using Lavazza Super creama, I used the same coffe with my old r58 and come out good. So I am not sure why I cannot do it with izzo.

Here is the latest shot. 15 gm  coffee, I also trid 16 gm and almost same result. Shot is a bit bitter not a smooth shot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kwlwNMkGR0
 View Profile Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 14, 2013, 6:49pm
Subject: Re: Help with pulling shot with Alex 3

Lavazza Super Crema is not freshly roasted coffee, you will see & taste a big difference if you find a good roaster with freshly roasted beans. I use beans within 2-3 days after roasting, after 10 days the same beans are ok but do not produce the same crema, taste and freshness.
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 5:19am

use fresher beans. also try raising your temp. 198 might be too low, making shot bitter, also your shot looks long . cut water volume down a bit,long shots tend to be week and bitter.
Italo2275

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 6:14am

I will try fresher beans,198 was the temp recommended on the bad. I like to pull 2 oz shots cause normally i serve this in 2 cups for 2 people.
Italo2275

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 6:17am

I will try fresh beans, I actually did try before the lavazza but wasted them trying to dial in the shot. I find when I swop beans the grind is way off and will take me time to adjust again.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 7:37am

Italo2275 Said:

I will try fresh beans, I actually did try before the lavazza but wasted them trying to dial in the shot. I find when I swop beans the grind is way off and will take me time to adjust again.

Posted March 15, 2013 link

The Lavazza I imagine needs a very fine grind as will most stale beans, fresh roast will need a much coarser grind. Watching the shot vid I would coarsen the grind on that shot, try shooting for 25-30 secs, the longer the shot goes the more extraction of undesirable flavors, still I have had many of a long 45sec shot that was tasty. Shooting for two ounces of tastiness means dialing in grind and dose to make that happen, I find it much easier to adjust volume to match the grind and dose, dialing in flavor is tough enough with out adding it has to be 2 oz. take a look at this to help adjust things to suit your tastes. Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

I may be anal about fresh beans but I think of all those people who return from Italy raving about great espresso, how much of those shots came from fresh beans?
Italo2275

Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 7:59am

Thanks for your input I totally agree with you, I will try to coarsen the grind a bit, but would you increase the dose to 18g?
By the way I will be in Italy next weekend and I am definitely bringing back some Espresso beans and tasting some good shots so I can compare.
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Fri Mar 15, 2013, 8:07am

Italo2275 Said:

Thanks for your input I totally agree with you, I will try to coarsen the grind a bit, but would you increase the dose to 18g?
By the way I will be in Italy next weekend and I am definitely bringing back some Espresso beans and tasting some good shots so I can compare.

Posted March 15, 2013 link

I really don't have any experience with the imported beans for espresso, I am into the 3rd wave fresh bean, over dosing thing, lol.

Italian recommended dose for a double is something like 13-16g for a double, I would think I would work in that range with their beans but to increase volume you may find that updosing to 17-19g will give you the volume and taste you are after. I have one of these Click Here (www.espressoparts.com) for very light roasts which I dose around 13-16g with a very fine grind for usually a 1.5oz shot.

The link above to Jim's guide to adjusting dose and grind for flavor has been a huge help the last couple of years. Oh yeah, have a great trip. There is a bunch of info on Italian roasts over at HB, might find some brands that are considered the best.
Italo2275

Posted Thu Mar 28, 2013, 3:57pm

Well I am back, and bought fresh detour coffee, a bit to expensive but thought i would try it. It cost about 18 dollars for one pound
Here is my shot, i found it weak in creama meaning it did not stick and a bit to strong. Any advice
http://youtu.be/kRHwI_L5Kgk
kboom1
kboom1

Espresso: Alex2HX,Alex Duetto,Rancilio...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky,Vario
Roaster: Behmor x2 / USRC Sample...
Posted Sat Mar 30, 2013, 4:42am

any Idea on the roast date? most coffee (for espesso) is usable after 3 days and in it's prime 5 to 7 days post roast. anything after 14 days old, not always but most times will taste strong with less flavor and produce low crema, what dose/grind/volume of shot are you using?
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299817085266)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+