Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
New here - Is this a good newbie setup?
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > New here - Is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
gartia24

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 1:28pm
Subject: New here - Is this a good newbie setup?

I have loved coffee for a long time and I think its time to take the plunge into a better cup of coffee. I am a thinking about purchasing the following setup. Do you guys/girls think this is a good starting place? Any suggestions or criticisms?

Grinder:
Baratza Preciso Coffee Grinder 685

Kettle:
Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle

Scale:
Escali P115C Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale

Storage:
Friis 16-Ounce Coffee Vault

Press:
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker

Thanks in advance. Happy Easter if you celebrate it!
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Mar 31, 2013, 7:00pm
Subject: Re: New here - Is this a good newbie setup?

An absolute NO on the Friis vault. Read my Friis Coffee Vault review and if you still want to buy them, be my guest.

Mason Jars and a dark, cool cabinet.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 12:08am

gartia24 Said:

Grinder:
Baratza Preciso Coffee Grinder 685

Posted March 31, 2013 link

The Baratza Preciso is a good grinder in its own right, but if your budget can afford it, consider switching to the Baratza Vario instead. If you prefer to control dosing,
consider the Vario-W instead if you can afford the extra budget. It may save you some fuss and muss if you prefer to grind straight into the container rather than into a portafilter.

gartia24 Said:

Kettle:
Bonavita 1-Liter Variable Temperature Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle

So far so good. Yes, this is a decent temperature controlled kettle, from what I've seen. What makes this kettle unique is the precise temperature control, rather than just a
couple of pre-set selections.

gartia24 Said:

Scale:
Escali P115C Primo Digital Multifunctional Food Scale

I'd recommend the Digiweigh DWP-1001 instead. It measures in 0.1 gram resolution and can measure up to 1 kilogram. Perfect for weighing a loaded portafilter. I personally own
one of these scales and one thing I really like about it is that I don't need any batteries, has plenty of room to weigh big things on it and is very easy to use.

However, in saying that, if you are considering using this scale to just measure coffee, you can let the Baratza do that instead and save some counter space.

gartia24 Said:

Storage:
Friis 16-Ounce Coffee Vault

I agree with fcrn, conventional mason jars work well.

gartia24 Said:

Press:
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker

Well, stepping back a bit here, are you aiming to make espresso with this or do you just want to make drip coffee really quickly?

Have you considered the idea of buying a Moka Pot instead of a Press?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 5:57am

Bud, you keep mentioning portafilter, but I see nothing about espresso in this proposed setup.

The Preciso is a great entry-level grinder for espresso through French press, but if you're just doing aero, drip, pour over, etc., you would definitely get by just fine with a cheaper Encore or Virtuoso. However, I do a lot of pour over and I LOVE my Vario-W. I am definitely spoiled grinding by weight now. If you're not going to do espresso, I would recommend the Vario-W with the metal burr set. Though even if you we're to go with the W, you would still want a scale to measure your brew ratios (that's pretty important with manual brew methods). The only important thing about a scale is to make sure it measures in .1g. FWIW, I own the same Bonaviga kettle and love it. Great choice.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 3:33pm

Taking into account that this forum is for espresso and you do not mention that your intent is anything else, no, it will not make espresso

If you are looking to make brewed coffee, the grinder wii do the job, the kettle is over kill and the vault is useless and yes you will get great brewed coffee from the aero press.

In coffee, it is grinder first, buy the best grinder you can afford. You can keep your coffee in a canning jar, JUST KEEP IT COOL AND IN THE DARK. Any electric kettle will get the water hot. Just bring it to a boil then let it cool off for about 30 seconds. For travel, I have a cheep plastic kettle I bought for $15 at Kmart that works just fine

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Mon Apr 1, 2013, 10:37pm

tglodjo Said:

Bud, you keep mentioning portafilter, but I see nothing about espresso in this proposed setup.

Posted April 1, 2013 link

Heh. Well, actually, I only said "Portafilter" once. What is the proper term for the plunger thingy you put the coffee into on an Aeropress?
I guess I could have used the word "Cylinder" instead. Regardless, if the OP decides to buy an espresso machine in the future, the statement still applies.

tglodjo Said:

you would definitely get by just fine with a cheaper Encore or Virtuoso.

Posted April 1, 2013 link

If you are on a budget and you just want a cheap grinder, then yes. Those are good recommendations. Although, IMO, since these grinders cost about
half as much as an espresso capable one, why not just splurge the extra little bit? It's up to you. It would save you from buying another new grinder later.

Another thing I could probably suggest as well would be a Samovar aka a "Water Boiler". The purpose behind a Samovar is to keep a lot of hot water
constantly hot and at a controlled temperature. Asian-Style water boilers have an electric pump in them to dispense water on demand.

This is different over a kettle, which is usually just designed to heat water up until it is boiling and then shut off. I can't really compare them to a Bonavita Kettle
because I don't own one, but I do own a Zojirushi water boiler and I absolutely love it for making hot beverages.

The problem with Japanese style water boilers is that they usually have three set temperature ranges, 175 F, 195 F and 208 F. All of which are excellent
for teas and other hot beverages, but are a little imprecise for coffee. Even though the SCAA recommends the brew water is kept between 195 F to 205 F when brewing,
I guess one would have to experiment with it and brew coffee at both set temperatures to see how that affects their brew.

ie. You may wish to pour the water into an intermediate container first, such as a porcelain tea pot, to cool it down a little from 208 F before pouring it over the grounds.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > New here - Is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.335300922394)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+