Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Tamper Base shape, Convex or Flat
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Tamper Base...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
canon

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 1:23pm
Subject: Tamper Base shape, Convex or Flat

When you order a new tamper what shape base do you prefer?   I am going to order a tamper and can choose either convex or flat.   Is there a reason you would choose one shape over the other?   The tampers are unique and wanted some thoughts on the shape before I order.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Bob
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jul 26, 2013, 9:37pm
Subject: Re: Tamper Base shape, Convex or Flat

I don't know where you're ordering from, but Reg Barber offers several more types of bases: flat, american curve, eurocurve, rippled, and something called C-flat, which is a flat base that has a beveled outer rim. I've not used anything other than the flat, C-flat, and the eurocurve (less curved that the american), and honestly, can't tell much of a difference between the three.  I've read several opinions about which to use and why.  One is that you should try to match the shower screen.  Another is that VST baskets perform best with flat.  Those are the main two that come to mind at the moment.  I believe that the reasoning behind curves and c-bevels is to help prevent side chanelling.  If you've been having that problem, you might want something other than flat. I'm interested to see what other responses you get.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Sat Jul 27, 2013, 7:53am

VST basket, settled on RB C-flat 58.4. The flat was fine to but I do NOT like convex in a VST. On EP baskets it is about a jump ball one shape to the next.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
canon

Espresso: Faema Legend
Grinder: Monolith, Compak K10 Fresh,
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Jul 28, 2013, 4:13am

Thanks guys for the input.   This helps a lot.  I used the same tamper for 5 years (Torr 58.4, european curve) but want to explore more shapes handles and base.  The Torr has served me well and reluctant to change   One of the elements in tamping for me is to be able to judge if the tamper is seated level in the basket before applying the weight.   About 50% of the time corrections have to be made, by me that is.  

Bob
Espespesp

Espresso: Vivaldi
Grinder: Mazzer
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 3:11pm

I agree, prefer flat when using my VST baskets.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Jul 29, 2013, 7:18pm

canon Said:

One of the elements in tamping for me is to be able to judge if the tamper is seated level in the basket before applying the weight.

Posted July 28, 2013 link

I would hope everybody does that. Glad to see you do! Chris Nachtrieb demonstrates a nice way to level the tamper while he's demo'ing some of his machines. Check out one or more of his videos. Basically, he extends his fingertips past the tamper base all the way down to the basket lip.

jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 5:31pm

emradguy Said:

he extends his fingertips past the tamper base all the way down to the basket lip.

Posted July 29, 2013 link

I love the short bubinga handle because of short fingers....watch it on the joke :)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue Jul 30, 2013, 7:42pm

Ha! I have short fingers too...lol.

Oh and one correction to one of my earlier posts. The Reg Barber Eurocurve is less flat than the American curve (I said that the other way around before).

Flori

Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 3:48am

i prefer to use flat tamper. have not thought of trying other shapes yet. do let us know what you have changed into and what can you say about it.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 4:20am

I just stick with flat. I've always wondered what the ridged bases do, not much info/reviews on them, but did find this older post that makes me want to try one out:

Non-ridged tampers leave a smooth surface, and the coffee, theoretically, infuses it evenly, resulting in an even extraction. In practice, however, IF there is a path of least resistance, water under pressure WILL find it, and exploit it. This means that unless the barista's preparation of the portafilter was absolutely perfect, there will be unevenness in the extraction.

The ridges are intended to encourage controlled channeling. The assumption is that the water will channel anyway(that is, create a path of least resistance, thus, causing uneven extraction,) so it might make sense to control this channeling rather than trying to fight it.

The ridges create valleys where the water will have a tendency to initially soak into the puck. This encourages an even initial saturation, which can only encourage an even saturation throughout the puck as the water pressure builds.

I have not tried it myself, but I have heard nothing but good things about the ripple design. By "good", I don't mean "on par with others". I mean people say it makes a noticeable difference in the cup. Enhanced sweetness is a commonly voiced result.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Tamper Base...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.305441141129)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+