Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Ok... 2oz of water weighs about 56 or 57 grams..... comparring shot yield.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Ok... 2oz of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 3:43pm
Subject: Ok... 2oz of water weighs about 56 or 57 grams..... comparring shot yield.

Ok... I keep reading that people that weigh their shots are usually going for about 30-35 grams of espresso yield  for a double basket that has 14-18 grams of espresso. Put when you read what a shot is supposed to be... it is usually reported that a double shot is between 2 and 3 oz. (57 to 84 grams if it were pure water). I realize that the crema can take up space and not weigh what coffee does... but there seems to be a gap here that I cant jump.  If yield is supposed to be 2 to 3 ounces, shouldn't our yield be more than 35 grams?

Please explain my error in thinking.... yeah, I know your supposed to go for taste, not yeild... but why such a wide gap between the guidelines that are supposed to help us find our niche?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 3:49pm
Subject: Re: Ok... 2oz of water weighs about 56 or 57 grams..... comparring shot yield.

This chart may help, but you can pick what you want.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

If I try to get about 50 - 60 gms, I will fill a 4 oz shot shot glass, but that is because it is initially mostly crema.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 5:44pm
Subject: Re: Ok... 2oz of water weighs about 56 or 57 grams..... comparring shot yield.

D4F Said:

This chart may help, but you can pick what you want.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

If I try to get about 50 - 60 gms, I will fill a 4 oz shot shot glass, but that is because it is initially mostly crema.

Posted July 31, 2013 link

I cant believe that as much reading and looking that I have done, I have never seen that chart. It lines up with what I have been doing pretty close. Thanks!!
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 5:54pm

I started with about 50 - 60 gms and then started working my way down, tightening the grind and adjusting until now about 30 - 35 gms.  I use a PID and add heat with brew on a Gaggia so the water volume of output, water through the boiler, is important for me, to match heat.  I like the taste and mouth feel much better at the 30 - 35, but it took a little adjusting of me :)  The chart helped me.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 7:20pm

I didn't believe the a 2oz yield could weight 32g until I finally learned to dial in my grind properly. For a while, all my 2oz doubles were weighing 60g, and they were hitting the 2oz in 25-30sec golden rule. Now that I've learned how to adjust grind properly, I'm getting 30-35g doubles, yielding 2oz.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Ok... 2oz of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236994028091)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+