Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
2nd shot from Gaggia Classic always excellent
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > 2nd shot from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Thu Aug 1, 2013, 7:34pm
Subject: Re: 2nd shot from Gaggia Classic always excellent

How about trying to eliminate the temperature variable.  Try your normal routine and use the Styrofoam cup method to get temperature.  It is more difficult to try it for a second pull as the incoming water may cool more than usual.  Or make a thermofilter and measure temperature  for pulls.  If it is temperature related you are then at the point where a PID really helps.  It would be nice to know.

Styrofoam cup method and thermofilter below

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Posted Mon Aug 5, 2013, 7:33pm

Toyman, any improvement?  

Any temperature changes?  What is your back flush routine?

D4F also at
trevormc
trevormc
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 6, 2013, 4:26am

Here's my 2c worth.
I pull one shot in the morning before I leave for work, so have had to really work on my technique to get it right.

I have a Gaggia Carezza, so this is what I find works best. You can try it, or not :)

I switch on my machine, immediately open the wand tap and run the pump. I let about 3/4 of a cup of water flow through into a cup or jug.
Switch the pump off, and close the want tap.
Lock your PF handle in place, and run a second or two's worth of water through the PF.

I then go have a shower or do something for 15 or so minutes.

I remove the PF (dry it well), dose + tamp as per normal.

Before I lock and pull, I run a few seconds of water through the unit in to a jug until the light turns off.
Dry the shower with a towel to be sure it's not dripping.

Lock and Pull.

Hope this helps!
toyman

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Office Lever Plus,...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 1:20pm

Well gents, I did a rudimentary temp test and found that temps were about 6-7* higher on the first shot.  So, I've been running a full double shot cup thru the PF with no grinds before I grind my beans.  It heats the cup and cools the water temps.  Seems to be working out.  Might be a PID in my future.  Thanks for the help.
D4F

Posted Wed Aug 7, 2013, 1:29pm

Interesting, with the somewhat expected drop.  From what to what temperature.  Often the Gaggia is too cool without surfing it up, but you are too hot at idle?  Original brew stat?  Any chance a hotter stat was changed in?

D4F also at
trevormc
trevormc

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 12:30pm

D4F Said:

Interesting, with the somewhat expected drop.  From what to what temperature.  Often the Gaggia is too cool without surfing it up, but you are too hot at idle?  Original brew stat?  Any chance a hotter stat was changed in?

Posted August 7, 2013 link

My Gaggia's stat is 107 deg C

I presume it's correct?
D4F

Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 9:12pm

Correct, part 17

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

D4F also at
Dunbar42

Posted Sun Aug 18, 2013, 12:45pm

Are you weighing the shots to see if you are getting the same quantity of espresso? I use a Gaggia Classic with a Cunill Tranquilo grinder and the second shot will always result in a larger shot if I don't adjust the tamp and/or grind. A larger shot, in my case, will throw off the balance of my cappucinos and result in an inferior flavor profile IME. As long as I adjust the tamp/grind to get the same size shot(s) both cappuccinos taste the same to me. I always temp surf the boiler so, in my case, I don't think there's an appreciable difference in water temperature.

For the record, with the second shot I have to tamp harder and/or adjust the grind one notch finer depending on the espresso blend.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > 2nd shot from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272471904755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+