Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Honduran Coffee
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Honduran Coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
TechBean
TechBean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LSM Practical 95E, Arcelik...
Grinder: Mazzer
Vac Pot: Cona
Roaster: Popcorn popper
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 8:38am
Subject: Honduran Coffee

A friend of mine brought back a honduran coffee to try.  They look like someone burnt the beans.  They are Charcoal color and oily.  So I tried it, and it was good.  So for whatever reason, they have been setting in a canister forgotten about for a while now.  Recently got a Cona and decided to try this bean in it.  Wow very pleasant.  So much so, I want more.  Does anyone here know of what I am speaking of.  I want to try to buy some more, without an airplane ride to god knows where in the Honduras.  Again Black in color and very oily.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:02am
Subject: Re: Honduran Coffee

Try a "dark roast" starbucks coffee, it is burnt and stale and easy to find. At that "roast level" there isn't anything of the flavor profile of the original been anyway.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TechBean
TechBean

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:40am

TechBean Said:

Try a "dark roast" starbucks coffee, it is burnt and stale and easy to find. At that "roast level" there isn't anything of the flavor profile of the original been anyway.

Posted September 15, 2013 link

No Starbuks...no no.

Ok this is image of bag He actually had some left. Ill do my search.  Dont knock it till ya try it.  Its different yes. but not burnt tasting IMHO.

TechBean: IMG_1577.JPG
(Click for larger image)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:54am

Hmmmm...

TechBean Said:

They look like someone burnt the beans.  They are Charcoal color and oily . . . Again Black in color and very oily.

and...

TechBean Said:

. . . but not burnt tasting IMHO.

Well, that's a first -- burnt in appearance but not in taste???  

Pick a number . . . any number.

Read descriptions 14, 15, and 16.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
TechBean
TechBean

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:00am

Why is there always a jackass in the crowd.  Thought Id ask a legitimate question. and I get sass.  Yes they look burnt up.  No they dont taste that way.   Again dont knock it unless you try it..
TechBean
TechBean

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:01am

14 ..  I retract my prev statement as I did not follow your links.  I am the jackass.
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:08am

TechBean Said:

Why is there always a jackass in the crowd.  Thought Id ask a legitimate question. and I get sass.  Yes they look burnt up.  No they dont taste that way.   Again dont knock it unless you try it..

Do you have any pictures of the beans you can post?  What you say about the taste certainly goes against what is generally interpreted as an Italian Espresso Roast, if not a Spanish Roast.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 12:58pm

Well, despite your characterization, there *is* method to my madness . . . clearly no one else has ever experienced that phenomenon, either.  

I don't know if you like wine or not, but think of the bean's origin as the grape, and its roast level as oak.  It's possible to have so much oak on the wine as to (basically) taste nothing but oak -- thus obliterating the grape itself to the point where experienced tasters will have no idea what grape(s) were used to produce the wine.  Similarly, the darker the roast, the more the coffee tastes of the roast, and less of the bean's origins.  This is pretty much a hard, stedfast rule -- I won't say there are no exceptions, but in 40+ years of drinking coffee and espresso, I've never found one.

Bottom line: if YOU like it, ENJOY it!  But it's extremely difficult for any of us to make recommendations, other than to say "Google," and surely that's something you thought of by yourself.

Cheers,
Jason

P.S.  Thanks for the retraction.  No one here is out to throw rocks.  Honest.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 2:16pm

Sweet Maria has a Honduran green presently on their list which sounds nice. I see by your profile you use a popcorn popper. May I suggest a trial dark roast of this and see if you might reproduce something of the enjoyable result you had from the commercial package. They say it works nicely for both light and dark roasts. Of course what they refer to as a dark roast may not be in the range of the packaged coffee you have.

Happy roasting, Skylar
TechBean
TechBean

Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 4:02am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

P.S.  Thanks for the retraction.  No one here is out to throw rocks.  Honest.

Yeah, I do apologise for that remark (Calblacksmith) I realize he was trying to help.  I was at work, and just had an unfriendly pilot putting his finger in my chest, and wasn't really in the right mindset for sarcasm...no excuse but that being said. Those particular beans were as you said roasted to an extreme level.  Ive tried and roasted a few from sweet marias, Guatemalen, their Monkey, and a few others, not a hunduran and never to the point of fire.  I was just interested in the origion of this particular one.  I felt that it was interesting, while being mostly charcoal, it tasted good.... a paradox of sorts.  I have never done a cupping so I do not have the vocabulary to explain what it tasted like.  I just know it was better than anything Ive ever had from that big corp with the green logo mentioned earlier, their stuff tastes more burnt than this did.  Thanks for the help guys.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Honduran Coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.347783088684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+