Espresso: Questions and Answers
Puck sticking to brewhead on my CC1
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Puck sticking to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
BarryR

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Clever...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B2-K
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 5:16pm
Subject: Puck sticking to brewhead on my CC1

Lately this has been happening a lot. It's rather a nuisance as I then have to clean it off.
I've back flushed and that doesn't help.

I used to notice it happening when I use too fine a ground but I don't think that's the issue as I'm getting about 2 oz of espresso in 28 seconds.

Any suggestion.
 View Profile Link to this post
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 5:18pm
Subject: Re: Puck sticking to brewhead on my CC1

I would guess you're using too much coffee for the size basket you have.  I'm going to assume you're using a double basket, how many grams of coffee are you dosing into it?
BarryR

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 5:35pm

ddubick Said:

I would guess you're using too much coffee for the size basket you have.  I'm going to assume you're using a double basket, how many grams of coffee are you dosing into it?

Posted September 28, 2013 link

Double basket 16.0 gms. Same amount I've always been using and it used to happen much less often. Good thought though, I could decrease by 1/2 gm and see where that gets me.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 5:48pm

ddubick Said:

Double basket on the CC1 is large, can hold 18g easily.

Barry how long are you waiting till you take the PF out? I've only had that happen with darker roasts and if I wait a while before removing the PF. Only once in awhile it happens, happens on other more expensive machines as well including friends Duetto III if does the same thing (darker roast and waiting a bit before removing the PF). Light-med roast no problem.

I shouldn't say just darker roast though, seems to happen with certain beans/blends. I also notice it more when it's hotter/humid out for whatever reason.
BarryR

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 7:52pm

CMIN Said:

Double basket on the CC1 is large, can hold 18g easily.

Barry how long are you waiting till you take the PF out? I've only had that happen with darker roasts and if I wait a while before removing the PF. Only once in awhile it happens, happens on other more expensive machines as well including friends Duetto III if does the same thing (darker roast and waiting a bit before removing the PF). Light-med roast no problem.

I shouldn't say just darker roast though, seems to happen with certain beans/blends. I also notice it more when it's hotter/humid out for whatever reason.

I've been taking it out within minutes and the roasts are usually FC+ or lighter.
CMIN

Posted Sat Sep 28, 2013, 9:47pm

BarryR Said:

I've been taking it out within minutes and the roasts are usually FC+ or lighter.

when you leave in the PF that long it can happen, I usually remove mine almost right after extraction or pry within 30 seconds if I had to guess a time. Even a friends Duetto III will have the puck stick (and most any machine probably) if left too long, there's still a little pressure and the puck can expand so after the 3 way purges the puck can be pulled into the screen and stick. FC and higher will be more prone to it imo, with a light to med roast I've never had the puck stick even if I forgot to take the PF out lol.
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 1:43am

In my experience, the easiest way to remove a dry puck that is sticking to the shower screen is to fix the portafilter again and run some water through it. That usually loosens the puck, or else it's easier to remove a wet puck than one that's been baked solid by the hot brewhead. However, I usually detach the PF immediately after the shot to prevent that situation.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
BarryR

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 5:11am

NobbyR Said:

In my experience, the easiest way to remove a dry puck that is sticking to the shower screen is to fix the portafilter again and run some water through it. That usually loosens the puck, or else it's easier to remove a wet puck than one that's been baked solid by the hot brewhead. However, I usually detach the PF immediately after the shot to prevent that situation.

Posted September 29, 2013 link

I may have given the wrong impression. This does sometime happen even if I remove the puck within seconds.

I'll do some descaling maintenance today too as it's been a while.
CMIN

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 7:18am

BarryR Said:

I may have given the wrong impression. This does sometime happen even if I remove the puck within seconds.

I'll do some descaling maintenance today too as it's been a while.

Posted September 29, 2013 link

Most likely the bean/blend your using, I only notice it once in awhile with certain beans/blends/roast. I've actually gotta do my monthly cleaning with cafiza today lol.

edit - forgot, this can also happen more with a bad batch of beans. I just had 2lbs of a blend I normally order and think got a bad batch of beans this go around. Didn't taste the same, didn't extract the same and couldn't really dial it in which was odd as I know the settings to use for that blend. The roast looked the same, but I think they had a bad batch of greens, I break down and freeze in batches in ball canning jars, and usually when I take one out to defrost and then open it "pops" releasing co2 and none of the jars did that this time. The puck stuck a bunch of times to the group in that case. If it did I put a cup under it and flushed it to get it off vs letting it plop on the drip tray lol.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 8:39am

I only get this problem with my Silvia right after cleaning the brewhead + over dosing which I do too often.. If it happens once I just hit the brew switch for a half second before I remove the portafilter.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Puck sticking to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.333384990692)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+