Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Next upgrade after Oscar and Baratza
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Next upgrade...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
atytse

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 9:04am
Subject: Next upgrade after Oscar and Baratza

Hi all, I just started with my coffee journey half a year ago and back then purchased an Oscar Nuova and a Baratza Virtuoso. As I make progress in my own skills and understanding, what are the next upgrades that I should be looking at?

I like Oscar for its separate water tank (live in China so don't have good access to tap water) and its size (very compact, don't have a big apartment). What would you recommend next?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 9:15am
Subject: Re: Next upgrade after Oscar and Baratza

grinder grinder grinder...the sooner the better.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
atytse

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 9:22am

What would be a good upgrade for Baratza? Should I go for something like Macap or Mazzer?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 9:28am

Both of those (Macap and Mazzer) will serve you well for years and are excellent choices.  However, if you want to stick with Baratza products (I got the vague idea from your reply that you do), you'll need either a Preciso, Vario or Forte to make it worthwhile.  There are other great choices for espresso only grinders, some better than others. Which is best for you will depend a lot on your budget, space available on your counter and aesthetic preferences. Without that information, it's very difficult for anyone here to make a sensible recommendation.  Macap and Mazzer both make consumer and commercial models, so that's another dichotomy you should consider.  Also, you need to decide if you'd be willing to buy a used grinder, as you can often find used commercial grinders in good shape for consumer prices.  Of course, some people won't ever buy anything used, so it's a personal decision.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 9:43am

Sounds like your just starting out, no need to upgrade your machine, the Oscar is a stout and proven espresso machine. It's your grinder holding you back, you need the Preciso or Vario not the Virtuoso. And then you have other more commercial "built" grinders like Mazzer, Macap etc. Vario is bang for the buck going toe to toe with much more expensive grinders as far as taste in the cup.
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 3:06pm

Grinder upgrade first.  The Baratza Vario is a nice grinder.  Their Forte is an "upgrade" to the Vario that some like.
You can also go with the professional grinders you were mentioning as they will last for a long, long time.

If you want another machine, not a replacement, then I would suggest you give a lever machine a try.  I have an NS Oscar and a La Pavoni Professional, and these days I just use the La Pavoni.  They are compact, nice looking (to many people), and make great espresso once you learn.  Though, if you have young kids around the La Pavoni may be a problem as the boiler is exposed and could burn young hands.  (It will burn older hands just as well, but you should be old enough to learn where to touch in time.  My Pavoni used to singe my skin from time to time, but I don't even notice it's hot these days - just learned where to touch and where to avoid.)

There are many lever machines that are fun to work with.
atytse

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 6:42pm

Once again thanks all for the reply.  

I would value size of the grinder and its ease of use/maintenance. Definitely don't need something for commercial since I only brew like 2 cups a day.

Not particularly stuck to Baratza but Vario does look like a great upgrade.
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 7:14pm

atytse Said:

Hi all, I just started with my coffee journey half a year ago and back then purchased an Oscar Nuova and a Baratza Virtuoso. As I make progress in my own skills and understanding, what are the next upgrades that I should be looking at?

I like Oscar for its separate water tank (live in China so don't have good access to tap water) and its size (very compact, don't have a big apartment). What would you recommend next?

Posted November 6, 2013 link

The oscar is a solid machine, unless you want a PID, keep it. Get a grinder, a compak, a mazzer, anything more specialized for espresso.

As someone who has a PID'd machine, I can tell you that temp variations of even 2 degrees can drastically change your coffee, and are useful as freshness declines. However I would never argue they are essential, and mine stays at about the same position for most of the time. The first few weeks I tweaked it constantly, now I just leave it alone unless I have an issue.

Anthony C

Currently pulling:
Path Coffee Roasters (PortChester, NY) Feather in cap espresso.

Cold Brewing:
Gimme! (ithaca, NY) Moca Java

http://coffeeandneuroscience.wordpress.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Next upgrade...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.256098985672)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+