Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Boiler wattage
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Boiler wattage  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
mennamorato

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Premium Plus...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 4:50pm
Subject: Boiler wattage

Currently I am waiting for the new BES920XL BDB to come out. I've heard it will be 2400 watts rather than the originals 1700. QUESTION: What advantages will this have?
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 11:03pm
Subject: Re: Boiler wattage

Can you cite the source where you saw this?

That wattage rating doesn't sound right to me.

Even if that machine could draw that much current and use that much power, which I'm sure it wouldn't, all it would grant you is better boiler recovery time between shots and better steaming capability.
(ie. Ability to make steam and able to steam much larger amounts of milk without depleting the boiler pressure as quickly.)

Realistically, for home barista use, 1600 watts is enough. Unless you drink massive amounts of coffee or have a large amount of company over.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 6:44am

That might be the wattage for a European spec machine, USA machines may be less wattage since they will mostly run on 15A circuits and both boilers will alternate on/off. Higher steam wattage with the right steam tip and boiler size could provide for stronger & longer steam power.
mennamorato

Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 10:21am

I've read it on many forums. It should be on this site somewhere.
mennamorato

Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 1:10pm

Mistake, 2200w not 2400.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 2:43am

I think 2400 watts is just right since it is the power of the machine. Donít misinterpret this voltage; this is the standard voltage in Europe which is 220 volts or in the US 110 volts.

The original BES920xl BDB has original power of 1700 watts, making it to 2400 watts can be interpreted as increasing power. Meaning more works should be done in the higher wattage resulting to more output. Higher wattage is good only for plenty amounts of coffee.

Anyway, if your intention is just to use it for your home, I think lower wattage is needed to save electricity consumption.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 3:28am

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

I think 2400 watts is just right since it is the power of the machine. Donít misinterpret this voltage; this is the standard voltage in Europe which is 220 volts or in the US 110 volts.

Posted December 5, 2013 link

European voltage (EU and partner countries) is actually 230v/50hz nominal, not 220, and with a permitted variance of -6%/+10%

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

The original BES920xl BDB has original power of 1700 watts, making it to 2400 watts can be interpreted as increasing power. Meaning more works should be done in the higher wattage resulting to more output. Higher wattage is good only for plenty amounts of coffee.

The advantage of higher wattage is faster temperature recovery - very useful if you're making a quick succession of drinks, but never a bad thing anyway.  More power ! More power! more power !.....

CoffeeLoversMag Said:

Anyway, if your intention is just to use it for your home, I think lower wattage is needed to save electricity consumption.

A given mass of water needs the same amount of energy (watt/hours in this case) to heat it by a set amount irrespective of the voltage used to deliver that energy.  You pay for watt/hours so nothing is saved or gained.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 9:33am

More power, better just be sure your outlet can handle it.
I advise while you are waiting, look into the other options in that price range, I think that without a doubt you will find better built machines with much longer projected life times than the track record of the current BDB is.
On the other hand, if you want to spend $1K to be a BETA tester, please feel free to do so! YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Sat Dec 7, 2013, 8:59pm

mennamorato Said:

Mistake, 2200w not 2400.

Posted December 1, 2013 link

Yet this one also has the 2400 claim.
Perhaps the "Several different" reports are all typos or repetitions of some original typo. The likelyhood of an American market, 120V, breville appliance being sold for home-kitchen use at 2200 or 2400 watts is unrealistic. Whatever the source of this report, it's merely a "Fact" on the internet where I can state the fact that the new Breville will be made of titanium and have gold-plated electrical terminals throughout.
Nobody's going to buy a disposable that requires a 20 amp recepticle. It'll be 1700 watts or less.
mennamorato

Posted Sat Dec 7, 2013, 9:33pm

In both UK and AU it's over 2200w, look it up.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Boiler wattage  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32393693924)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+