Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Second batch PID question
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Second batch PID...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
d33pbluez

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 9:12am
Subject: Second batch PID question

Hi Guys,

Question 1: Need to ask, It is normal for PID to show overshot temp after each brew ? My setting was at 219 F but after a brew i notice it overshot till 240 F before cooling down back to 219 F / 218 F.

Question 2: How do you set timer brew for PID while leave the brew switch turn on without water coming out ? i had seen some of the video of the youtube where they would press the PID to brew coffee instead of immediately brew by turn on the brew switch.

Btw, Happy Holidays

P/S: PID was done on Rancilio Silvia V3 machine
 View Profile Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 1:32pm
Subject: Re: Second batch PID question

d33pbluez Said:

Need to ask, It is normal for PID to show overshot temp after each brew ? My setting was at 219 F but after a brew i notice it overshot till 240 F before cooling down back to 219 F / 218 F.

Posted December 23, 2013 link

Definitely not normal.  PID should be able to generally avoid overshoot (especially 20 degrees F of overshoot).
d33pbluez

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 4:41pm

takeshi Said:

Definitely not normal.  PID should be able to generally avoid overshoot (especially 20 degrees F of overshoot).

Hi takeshi,

Could the problem due to wiring ? Or it is something that i miss. Hoping that you can help to shed some light.
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 6:54pm

It is "normal" in the respect that the tuning of the P, I, & D parameters will affect the overshoot/undershoot. You might start with the boiler temperature a dozen degrees or so below what you want the Set Value to be, and do an Autotune. That is a beginning - see how the over/undershoot performs, and try adjusting the parameters to see what works best.

I have mine set to ramp slowly up to the SV temp, and overshoot is minimal, and recovery time after a shot is also short.

Depending on if you bought a kit or are rolling your own, you could ask the vendor as well.

You might see some of these threads:
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
d33pbluez

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 7:26pm

dana_leighton Said:

It is "normal" in the respect that the tuning of the P, I, & D parameters will affect the overshoot/undershoot. You might start with the boiler temperature a dozen degrees or so below what you want the Set Value to be, and do an Autotune. That is a beginning - see how the over/undershoot performs, and try adjusting the parameters to see what works best.

I have mine set to ramp slowly up to the SV temp, and overshoot is minimal, and recovery time after a shot is also short.

Depending on if you bought a kit or are rolling your own, you could ask the vendor as well.

You might see some of these threads:

Thanks for the advice dana_leighton... Mind share your setting as for my reference ?

Any idea how to set timer control brew for PID while leave the brew switch turn on without water coming out ? i had seen some of the video of the youtube where they would press the PID to brew coffee instead turn on the brew switch.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:06pm

What PID do you have?  In your first thread you mentioned an Auber PID.  Auber kit for brew, brew+steam, or Brew+steam+preinfusion?  The Kit that has brew/pump turned on by the PID controller is the kit with Preinfusion.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1wAQNH1lYs

If you have an Auber kit and are getting 20F overshoot, check your install and check with Auber.  They pre-program the PID values.  RTD sensor and thermopaste used? Wires tight on the PID and at the SSR?

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:23pm

d33pbluez Said:

Thanks for the advice dana_leighton... Mind share your setting as for my reference ?

It is in storage so can't get to it right now. Besides, mine is installed on a Solis SL-70 not a Silvia, and so the parameters would very likely be different anyway.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
d33pbluez

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:34pm

dana_leighton Said:

It is in storage so can't get to it right now. Besides, mine is installed on a Solis SL-70 not a Silvia, and so the parameters would very likely be different anyway.

I see... Thanks for the explanation dana_leighton on the first question and happy holiday to you.

Edited:

I had miss out D4F post ealier...

D4F Said:

What PID do you have?  In your first thread you mentioned an Auber PID.  Auber kit for brew, brew+steam, or Brew+steam+preinfusion?  The Kit that has brew/pump turned on by the PID controller is the kit with Preinfusion.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1wAQNH1lYs

If you have an Auber kit and are getting 20F overshoot, check your install and check with Auber.  They pre-program the PID values.  RTD sensor and thermopaste used? Wires tight on the PID and at the SSR?

Sorry i miss out some point. I brought the one with brew+steam (No pre-infusion)...so that means mine doesn't not have the brew/pump function ?

Here are the checklist:

1.) Check your install and check with Auber

Everything works fine first turn on. After brew it when over shot mode quite quick then slowly die down to my pre-setting which is at 219F...which stays constant of -1F / +2F until the next brew.

2.) They pre-program the PID values

I only manage to change the SV but leave others to factory setting.

3.) RTD sensor and thermopaste used?

Cant find any loose on the RTD sensor after some pushing, while thermopaste is used.

4.) Wires tight on the PID and at the SSR?

Everything was intact no lose, LED on SSR was lit up as usual when turn on.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 9:48pm

You will not have the pump controlled at the PID.  

20F seems like too much overshoot, but I am used to Gaggia.  Different boiler configuration and different values. While a PID can be set to stop overshoot, that is not always the desired control for espresso. Espresso machine control can allow for some overshoot which may allow faster heating, and a little oscillation.  In industry where a product could be destroyed by a degree or too high over SV, then you would need to program for no overshoot.  I would watch it and see how much over and under shoot, and how long the oscillation lasts.  You can check with Auber after you collect a few observations and have checked all of your install to eliminate any possible errors.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
d33pbluez

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 11:18pm

D4F Said:

You will not have the pump controlled at the PID.  

20F seems like too much overshoot, but I am used to Gaggia.  Different boiler configuration and different values. While a PID can be set to stop overshoot, that is not always the desired control for espresso. Espresso machine control can allow for some overshoot which may allow faster heating, and a little oscillation.  In industry where a product could be destroyed by a degree or too high over SV, then you would need to program for no overshoot.  I would watch it and see how much over and under shoot, and how long the oscillation lasts.  You can check with Auber after you collect a few observations and have checked all of your install to eliminate any possible errors.

Thanks D4F, I had already contacted Auber on this issue. Currently troubleshooting the problem.

Happy holiday to you. :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Second batch PID...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.3555560112)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+