Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Configuring CC1 + Vario
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Configuring CC1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mingdanger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 6:53am
Subject: Configuring CC1 + Vario

Hello All,
I just bought my first espresso setup and the choice was CC1 and vario.
Excited.
But as a noob, although i have been reading alot on espresso, but it might be hard to relate it to my CC1.
I am trying to get a standard shot from the machine with 3-5 second time before the shot comes out, it take about 27 seconds, and etc...
no matter what i do, the shot comes out almost instantly when i start. and there is alot more shots than i expected.
I am using old beans, really old ones.

Also, how do you do flushing in CC1? you just brew and stop after a little time?
Should i set wait time? what does it do?
What about pre-heat/pre-steam?

Sorry for asking dumb questions! thanks for the help!
 View Profile Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 7:05am
Subject: Re: Configuring CC1 + Vario

Mingdanger Said:

Hello All,
I just bought my first espresso setup and the choice was CC1 and vario.
Excited.
But as a noob, although i have been reading alot on espresso, but it might be hard to relate it to my CC1.
I am trying to get a standard shot from the machine with 3-5 second time before the shot comes out, it take about 27 seconds, and etc...
no matter what i do, the shot comes out almost instantly when i start. and there is alot more shots than i expected.
I am using old beans, really old ones.

Also, how do you do flushing in CC1? you just brew and stop after a little time?
Should i set wait time? what does it do?
What about pre-heat/pre-steam?

Sorry for asking dumb questions! thanks for the help!

Posted January 29, 2014 link

You just answered your own question and solved your issue, why are you using "really old beans"?? Stale burnt beans equal gushing fast shots no matter what, and will taste like crap anyway. Throw them out. You need fresh roasted, impossible to make good espresso or really espresso at all with old beans. I use a 2 second preinfuse and I think 2 or 3 second dwell and shots don't start dripping till 8 seconds or so, and I aim for about 27-30 seconds from time of first drip (so I stop the machine around 35-38 seconds total time). You end up just frustrating yourself trying to dial old beans. Plenty of good shops in NY and roasters, you should have no problem just picking good beans up, or you could order online.

Not sure what you mean by brew and a little and flush? I do a blank flush after the last shots in the morning, just stick the blank basket in and flush for like 5 seconds and then hit the start knob to stop it. And once a month I do a complete backflush with Cafiza which takes longer then just a quick blank flush. Between shots I just hit the start knob to flow water through and clear off any grinds etc left from previous shot.

Pre-steam = preinfuse, I don't know where your seeing pre-heat, the waiting time after pre-steam is for dwell time. I have mine set at 2 for pre-infuse and 3 seconds for wait.

Are you measuring your beans/dose with a digi scale that measures to .1g or do you have the Vario-W? And make sure your Vario is calibrated correctly, you can check Baratza site or on here for how to do so.
Mingdanger

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 8:48am

Thank you so much for the INFO!!!
I will ditch the old beans......

do you set the overall shot time in the CC1? if so, what is it?
Does the bean's roast level matter?

What is your current setting on the CC1?
CMIN

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:33am

Mingdanger Said:

Thank you so much for the INFO!!!
I will ditch the old beans......

do you set the overall shot time in the CC1? if so, what is it?
Does the bean's roast level matter?

What is your current setting on the CC1?

Posted January 29, 2014 link

For shot time do you mean the option to set a time for it to stop a shot automatically? No I leave that at 0 and do it manually. After 2 second preinfuse and 3 second dwell/wait, first drips start around 8 seconds and I go by that to time. Since I aim for 27-30 seconds for a double, that means I stop the machine at around 35-38 seconds or so giving an extraction time of 27-30. That's just me though, some go by overall time in which I'd have to grind coarser to get a 25-30 second pull overall and I prefer the taste of timing from first drips.

Beans roast level and blend/single original can effect everything, I generally keep my temp at 201 but have played with temps with different beans before. But different roast and blends can effect the grind, some will be fluffy and above the basket edge after tapping to settle and then WDT, and then I could use another roast at same dose that'll be below the basket rim. And usually different roast/blends will have to be dialed differently for each as their all different. I just kinda keep track where I dialed a bean in, and normally I stay within a click or of the Macro and adjust the micro from there.

Cup1 I have programed to 201 and no preinfuse, or dwell etc, I use that for back flushing. Cup2 is my normal use settings. And Pod3 is a 3rd "cup" setting. So if you switch between beans you can have presets to go to.

What part of NY are you in?
Mingdanger

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 10:46am

Sooo i need to play around with the programing....

lots of experiments......i am a little cheap on the beans....

I will try to do a little more testing....

any suggestion on the grinder? how do i changed the amount in terms of grams? i am the vario, not vario-w

I am from long island.
CMIN

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:00am

You have Georgios, Dallisbros, maybe Stumptown.. and pry others in your area, and shops that would carry from any of the roasters in NY. Don't be cheap on beans, you just spent a grand on your setup lol. And good beans are barely more then what Charbucks and other crap commercial places charge, actually cheaper sometimes, in South FL Starbucks charges more/same for a 12oz bag at grocery stores then what I can get a lb from almost any roaster. Has to be fresh roasted beans no questions asked, you could have a $20k commercial setup and still make crap coffee b/c of bad beans.

You need a digi scale that measure to .1g, I single dose so I weight my beans first and then start the grinder running and put them in. otherwise your dose could be off each time throwing your settings off as 1 setting may work for 1 dose but not a different or multiple different doses. Or if you just keep your hopper filled, you'd have to tare out the weight of the bin on your scale, then grind till you come to a dose like 16g for example, and after couple runs you'll have an estimated time of how long it takes to grind that dose whether manually or the timer function and can just use the bin or portafilter directly.

The left knob on the machine you press and hold to change presets in the menu (temp, preinfusion, wait time etc)
branmuffin17
branmuffin17
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:19am

Other than what CMIN has said, not sure how much reading/research you've done...but other than the very big no-no of not using stale beans, the following might be helpful if you don't know...

• Buy beans from a local roaster or reputable roaster online that provides a roast date on the package.  You need to let the beans de-gas for 3 or so days before they're okay to use.  So, from roast date, optimal usage is days 4-16 or so...after 2-ish weeks, the bean quality will slowly decline.  If you want a list of roasters, check this out:  click here  I've personally stayed local so far in terms of the roasters I've tried...I live in southern Cali, so I've mainly been using Intelligentsia (Analog Espresso) and Klatch (Belle Espresso).  There are many great roasters out there, though.
  • Make sure your grind is dialed in.  I have the Vario as well, and have had my own trials/tribulations with it.  Make sure you've got it calibrated correctly, first... click here  They've even got a video so you can hear how the calibration should sound.  Once you've done that, the place I'd suggest starting is at the point where you start to hear the motor's sound change tone and start to labor.  You can fine-tune dialing the grind in from there.  Remember to only change the grind settings while the grinder is running!
  • If you're maintaining the same dosage (weighing the beans before you grind will really help with consistency), keeping the same temperature (around 200F/93C is average), tamping at the same pressure/method every time, and aiming for the same volume shot, the only thing you should have to adjust (by increments) is the grind setting on the Vario.  Keep adjusting until you get into the general shot time window and, much more importantly, when the shot tastes great!  At least, that's the method I use.
  • Roast level on beans absolutely matters in terms of how the coffee tastes.  Lighter roasts usually are brighter (meaning more citrus-y) whereas darker roasts start getting sweeter (often more of a rich, chocolatey flavor).  This is of course a huge generalization.  If you're using a lighter roast, you usually increase the temp a bit, whereas if you're using a darker, you use a lower temp.  On medium-dark roasts, I'm right around 199-200F.

Other than that, hopefully CMIN can help you with anything to do specifically with the CC1 operation.  And if anything he says conflicts with what I say, ignore me and listen to him, hahaha!

~Brandon​
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Configuring CC1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259028911591)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+