Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Hi, I need some cues and advices for my new acqisition: Isomac tea.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi, I need some...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ChrisInked
ChrisInked
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea v1
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Fri Jan 31, 2014, 9:19am
Subject: Hi, I need some cues and advices for my new acqisition: Isomac tea.

The title says it all...I need some cues and advices for my new acqisition: Isomac tea.

And I know I can find any and evrything I wan't on google, but I want trusted advises and tried and true methods that never seem to fail, not random reviewers who pulled 3 shots out of it for a youtube demo... ;)  

Thanks guys! :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 4:36am
Subject: Re: Hi, I need some cues and advices for my new acqisition: Isomac tea.

What exactly is it, you want to know?

The Isomac Tea is an HX machine with an E61 brew group, a 1.2 liter boiler, a 1,400 W heating element and a Ulka vibration pump, and it usually comes with a standard single shot basket in a single spout unpressurized portafilter as well as a standard double shot basket in a dual spout PF. It has two pressure gauges, one for boiler pressure and one for pump pressure.

It'll take about 45 minutes to heat up properly. Before pulling a shot it requires a cooling flush, because the brew water tends to overheat, when the machine is left idling for more than five minutes. You can brew espresso and steam milk simultaneously with it. For extraction, pump pressure ought to be around 9 bar, percolation time around 25 seconds. You'll have to dial in your grinder using fresh beans to get extraction parameters right. If you're a newbie, it'll be wise to start pulling doppios, because the double basket is much easier to handle than the single. You could put the double basket in the single PF, if you want. Apart from looking really cool, a naked PF can be very helpful to diagnose extraction problems, because it'll only make no mess when you get your dose distribution and tamping right.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Feb 1, 2014, 9:02am
Subject: Re: Hi, I need some cues and advices for my new acqisition: Isomac tea.

The TEA is a typical, mid-level, prosumer, E-61 HX.  If it's paired with a good grinder, and used with good beans and good technique, it will make excellent espresso consistently.  

Go to the FAQ section at Home-Barista.  Bookmark and read every FAQ in the How-Tos (link at the top of the H-B page) which applies to beginners, to HXs in general and to E-61s in particular.  

Then go to the Forums section at H-B, and from there to the Tips and Techniques page, and bookmark and read the "How to Adjust Taste with Dose and Grind" post.  

Calblacksmith, a moderator here and all around good fellow, has a video which will show you what an overheated stream of water looks like.  I'm sure he'll provide a link.  

After watching that a couple of times, take the time to go back and reread whatever H-B material seems relevant.

Get used to the idea that you'll be going through a lot of (fresh) beans and water before you get a handle on what's going on.  

When you're tasting to "dial in," arm yourself with a small spoon and a large bottle of club soda before you start.    Pull a shot, mix it with the spoon.  Taste a spoonful or perhaps two.  Consider what you tasted.  Throw the shot out.  Unless you have magic metabolic powers, and are very lucky with your first couple of shots, you can not taste enough coffee by the cupful to learn what needs to be learned -- at least not when you're first starting out.

Learning to use machine and grinder isn't as difficult as learning to use your palate.  It's a process everyone must go through to become good at espresso.  Be patient with yourself.

Your grinder will very likely be harder to learn than your machine; and will act as an ultimate limiting factor.  Which grinder are you using?

There's a great deal more to temping an HX with cooling flushes than Nobby described.  You'll have to learn to identify "sweet" from "bitter," as well as the basic mechanics of temping the machine before you learn how to taste, identify and solve temp problems. In fact, there are some subtleties not mentioned in the H-B FAQs.  

One of the beauties of the E-61 group is that it's very tolerant and forgiving.  Another is that it's so popular there are tons of aftermarket accessories.  You can purchase a thermometer (from EricS) which mounts in the front of the grouphead and which will give you a very accurate, real time picture of what's going on.  It is not, strictly speaking, necessary; but it is very reassuring for someone just starting out with temping.  

The really good news is that once you can recognize "a little too sour," and "a little too bitter," you can "dial-in" for temp easily and with great accuracy.  Similarly if you can count to six, you can hit that temp with consistent precision.  

If, after reading the H-B advice, fooling around with it for awhile, asking questions there and here, and you're STILL having trouble -- you can post here or there, PM me there, or e-mail me using the link here, and we'll go through the procedures in detail until you're comfortable.  

BDL
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 2:31am

This is one of the Home-Barista sections recommended to read: How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love HXs: Managing the Brew Temperature of Your Heat Exchanger (HX) Espresso Machine.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
ChrisInked
ChrisInked

Espresso: Isomac Tea v1
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 8:39am

Thanks guys!! That's exactly what I wanted to know, where to find all those precious answers, so generous of you all!! I'm going to pick it up today! So thrilled! Breville time is over!! :)  thanks again guys but now I gotta go read :) a loooot!!!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Hi, I need some...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232226133347)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+