Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Expobar Level
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Expobar Level  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 8:59am
Subject: Expobar Level

I just got a Expobar Level and have run a few shots to get used to it coming from a Gaggia Classic. There is lots of talk about flushing a 61 group, to remove the possible steam in the group. I do a flush and I get no steam, water flows just fine. I am about 8.5 on the boiler gauge. My shots are running fast but I'm changing grind on my Vairo, but I am running a 2nd crack roast on fresh beans. My bottomless PF does show a high pressure pinhole leak right in front of the handle and always the same place, so I need to look at that also. I haven't run temp checks yet, that comes next. Otherwise moving right along.
 View Profile Link to this post
CSME9
CSME9

Espresso: Bezzera Mitica Top, Spaz...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Moka Pot
Roaster: BBQ Roaster
Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 12:31pm
Subject: Re: Expobar Level

The new Expobar Lever's come with a small restrictor installed in the inlet pipe to the group head to reduce the flush required. What is your boiler steam pressure set to ?

If its set to 1 bar it will require less flushing and reduce your steam power, if set at 1.3 bar it will increase your steam power but will increase the flush time.
steamer
steamer

Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 1:11pm

my steam gauge is .85 bar, my brew gauge is about 11 bar at fully heated and idle.
CSME9
CSME9

Posted Sun Feb 2, 2014, 1:21pm

steamer Said:

my steam gauge is .85 bar, my brew gauge is about 11 bar at fully heated and idle.

Posted February 2, 2014 link

At .85 bar that will reduce the super heated water flush so that's why you don't see the hot steam during the group flush, if your shots are hot and you have enough steam power you should be ok. If not then open the machine and adjust the press stat to 1.2 bar which will give you more steam power but may require a longer water flush.

The lever makes very good espresso & the one hole steam tip is easy to control and produce wet paint texture milk.
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 11:35am

CSME9 Said:

At .85 bar that will reduce the super heated water flush so that's why you don't see the hot steam during the group flush, if your shots are hot and you have enough steam power you should be ok. If not then open the machine and adjust the press stat to 1.2 bar which will give you more steam power but may require a longer water flush.

The lever makes very good espresso & the one hole steam tip is easy to control and produce wet paint texture milk.

Posted February 2, 2014 link

I hated that steam tip, I switched it off my brewtus with a rocket 2 hole hand have had much better results. I found it was a very powerful but very wet  steam. perhaps the increased velocity pulled more water down with it? I dont know but I didnt like it and new tips are only a few bucks. Worth playing with.

Anthony C

Currently pulling: Whatever Sweet Maria's sends me :D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steamer
steamer

Posted Mon Feb 3, 2014, 3:37pm

acasabia Said:

I hated that steam tip, I switched it off my brewtus with a rocket 2 hole hand have had much better results. I found it was a very powerful but very wet  steam. perhaps the increased velocity pulled more water down with it? I dont know but I didnt like it and new tips are only a few bucks. Worth playing with.

Posted February 3, 2014 link

the new Level's have changed their steam wands and those no longer work, but there some WLL carry in 2 hole I think.
Pazu

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV-R
Grinder: HG-ONE, FUJI ROYAL R220-DX,...
Vac Pot: KONO SK-2A
Drip: TIAMO 01, HARIO 02, TIAMO...
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 12:41am

The more holes in the steam tip the wetter the steam and the faster the pressure drop
I tried both 1 hole and 2 holes on the brewtus and found that using the 2 holes tip the steam is very wet. Nothing I can do to make it dryer.
acasabia
acasabia

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus iv-p,...
Grinder: Quamar M80e, Hario slim
Vac Pot: Yama Vacpot, Aeropress,
Drip: french press
Roaster: hot-air popper.
Posted Fri Feb 21, 2014, 6:35am

Pazu Said:

The more holes in the steam tip the wetter the steam and the faster the pressure drop
I tried both 1 hole and 2 holes on the brewtus and found that using the 2 holes tip the steam is very wet. Nothing I can do to make it dryer.

Posted February 21, 2014 link

I found that the single hole was pretty wet, switched to a two-hole and had better results. I usually flush the wand pretty thoroughly no matter what though.

Anthony C

Currently pulling: Whatever Sweet Maria's sends me :D
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
steamer
steamer

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 8:08am

I just got the two hole tip. It does a great job of turning over the milk, more so than the single hole, but that being said, the steam runs pretty low real fast. I am up to 1.2 on the boiler now. On the group head, mine really likes to hang at 192f, unless it has sat for a bit and then it drop to 120f. The hard part it takes some time to get it back up on a moments notice.
CSME9
CSME9

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 8:45am

2 hole tips holes are not created equal, holes come in different sizes & some steam quickly but out run the boiler.
A good compromise 2 hole tip is the 1mm 2 hole tip, which is a bit faster than the 1 hole, rolls milk well and doesn't over power the boiler.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Expobar Level  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.332403898239)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+