Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Color question..grind, roast, or other?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Color...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Burd
Burd
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia PID'd
Grinder: Nuova Simonelli MCF
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Cuisinart Grind & Brew...
Roaster: Behmor + i-Roast
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 12:46pm
Subject: Color question..grind, roast, or other?

My crema is coming out rather light in color.  It's not deep, dark, and rich like I see in some photos.  I'm using a Silvia with a PID and a Nuova Simonelli MCF as my grinder.  The shots are set for 25 seconds and it's darn near spot on 2oz.  I assume that means my tamp and grind is correct if the volume and extraction time is correct, or not?  I home roast and take it about 10 seconds or so into second crack then stop it.

The flavor is great so I shouldn't complain but it's just not "pretty".  Is there something I can try different to darken up the crema or is it something in my process?  Could it be my roast is too light?  Or do I just quit whining and enjoy what I'm producing :)
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 3:01pm
Subject: Re: Color question..grind, roast, or other?

Interesting you mention this.  I was just thinking about it earlier this morning.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Feb 14, 2014, 4:55pm

A couple degrees lower brew temperature can make a lighter crema. A lighter roast will make a lighter crema. A faster pour (or too fresh a roast) can make a lighter crema than a slower pour.
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Feb 16, 2014, 5:44pm

I was chasing a good shot for about two weeks, two different beans roasters and brewing at 7 days after roast. Then I read some info from one of them, 20gr grinds, 25 seconds. I was doing from 16-18 and got nothing worth tasting. Then I did the 20gm, that made all the difference. The beans may not even be at 2nd crack. I would try a 20gr shot.
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 7:52am

Itís a question of what to choose, the looks of your crema or the taste of its flavor. Sometimes we are not sure of what we are doing since it looks different from what we have seen from others. But so far, crema will vary on the coffee beans you are using. There are blends producing light colors and less viscous crema such as robusta blends that can produce lighter crema and coffees with yemen that can produce a darker brick red crema. However if you are brewing at high temperature, this kind of coffees will have burned smell and a dark black ring around. Right crema can be achieved through temperature band grinding adjustment and it has a great flavor too.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burd
Burd

Posted Tue Feb 18, 2014, 10:09am

Thank you all for the input.  I will try some of these ideas.  If it changes the taste any I will bail on the quest for that dark brownish red crema and keep the good taste I am currently getting.
Burd
Burd

Posted Sun Feb 23, 2014, 10:28am

Update:

I kept all the variables the same but increased the amount of coffee to 20 grams and set the temp on the PID 2 degrees hotter.  Those 2 tips did the job.  It is a lovely dark reddish brown and tastes even better.  Problem solved.  Thanks for the ideas and tips.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Color...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240942001343)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+