Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
La Marzocco GS3 Steaming Milk... too much foam
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > La Marzocco GS3...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Circlestreetcoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La marzocco gs3
Grinder: Mazer sj and baratza vario w
Roaster: Top of the world coffee
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 8:57pm
Subject: La Marzocco GS3 Steaming Milk... too much foam

I'm a new wonder to the GS3.  Ive got the factory steam wand set at 1.3 bars of pressure (I'm at 4,600 ft above sea level), and I am constantly getting too much foam.  I can handle making cappas, but for Lattes the foam is just too much.  I try to make sure I sink the tip of the wand really early, but the vortex is so deep and hollow that air still gets in.  I'm using a 12 oz pitcher and did notice that the process is easier with a  20 oz pitcher.  

Is my steam wand at too high  a pressure?  

I've noticed on a friends machine the pressure is a bit lower and the process seems way easier.

I also get a lot of water in the steam wand even if unused for only a minute or two.  Ideas?  Help?
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Feb 25, 2014, 9:07am
Subject: Re: La Marzocco GS3 Steaming Milk... too much foam

Back off on the boiler pressure and/or get a slower tip.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
T_Rick
T_Rick
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto
Grinder: Compak K10, Rocky DL, Zass
Drip: press pot; Chemex
Roaster: Poppery II; iRoast 2
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 9:52am

Just like there are several variables involved to pull a shot, steaming milk is affected by the amount of steam, the wand's tip, the vessel you steam in, the volume of milk, the type of milk (Skim, 1%, 2%, Whole will all get you different foam results with all other variables the same), and the technique used to steam.  I am still perfecting my steaming skills after several years.

You didn't mention the type of milk you are using.  Have you tried steaming milk with a higher fat content than what you're currently using?  The rule of thumb is the higher the fat, the less foam.

T-Rick

BOOKMAN: "You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried Crystals."
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Thu Feb 27, 2014, 12:55pm

I agree.  Rather than adjusting the pressure, you should work on your technique.  There's nothing wrong (nominally) with 1.3 bar.  It takes a lot of practice to get technique down, and every time one of the parameters is changed...be it a new machine, different wand, different wand tip, different pitcher design...there's a whole new learning curve to tackle.

Since you're complaining of too much foam, and I'll go out on a limb and guess it's too dense too, since you're probably introducing too much air.  Your description of difficulty controlling the vortex supports this.  I'd suggest trying to not at all introduce ANY air.  In other words, ditch the stretch phase (for now) and work only on your roll.  Try different angles, if necessary, and different distances from the pitcher wall.  Perhaphs try using Scott Rao's pinch of dish soap in water for practicing and spend an hour or so on it.  Then, once you feel more confident, re-introduce the stretch phase as needed, but keep it very short.

If all else fails, perhaphs you'll have to take Rich's advice and get a different wand tip.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > La Marzocco GS3...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.206530094147)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+