Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Mobility of Espresso. Please tell me what you think
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Mobility of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
CateWalker
CateWalker
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 7:29am
Subject: Mobility of Espresso. Please tell me what you think

Hi Coffeegeeks,

I hope that my post is in the right place and that I will get some answers, judgements and suggestions from you. I am from Germany, so pls forgive me if I write with "accent" ;-)

It is about "Mobile Espresso". I love espresso and as we all know, it is sometimes pretty hard to find a high quality one in shops and cafés. When I was sitting in my car early in the morning in the everyday traffic jam in Frankfurt city, a man came up to my window and offered me a newspaper. I just thought "go away and bring coffee!". Then I thought about it why this service shouldn't make sense? In fact the problem is, that every machine needs a plug for electricity and therefore no mobility is possible. Pre-brewed coffee runs out of taste and temperature in a very short time, so that's a no-go in quality. Fresh brewing is the only way to offer quality!

I found a solution for that and now I have invented a machine for fresh brewing and selling of finest Espresso, totally mobile through a backpack system, so you can carry it and walk around with it and it looks a little like Ironman's suit. Before I start to spend a lot of time and money (honestly I will have to start finding investors for that, but before I start, I will need more evaluation) I would love to ask YOU in advance, if you can imagine being an every day customer for that service. Imagine sitting in the park, on the beach or on the coastline of rivers in the sun and there is no way getting a fresh brewed Espresso without leaving the place? Think about concerts, festivals, fairs or even demonstrations but as well as a service in the high streets of the cities. In fact this could be the fastest and hottest espresso service ever :-)

• Would you like this kind of service and buy a fresh brewed shot?
  • How do you judge the chances for a business like this? Do you see there any business?
  • Please tell me what you think about this idea of a "feet-mobile" espresso bar.

The system runs with any kind of capsule the market offers and I am favouring/focussing illy I.E.S., because the quality is pretty close to what I would call a high quality espresso. Surely this can't compete with hand made, fresh grind fine art espresso, but for an everyday service illy is perfectly valuable in my eyes. For the tekkies in the forum, the machine brews with 13-14bar and the water is perfectly tempered (sensor controlled) at ~93°C. Espresso quantity is regulated at 3,5cl/cup. Output quantity is ~120 portions, refill time of the system is less then 5min, total system weight is less then 20kg. Energy load is good for approx. 500 portions. Recharging time 6h, when changing energy components less then a minute.

I hope for a lot of comments and of course your questions too. This Topic is simply to get a feeling if I should make a start-up out of this or just keep it for myself as some kind of art-product.

So what do you think?

Best regards and I wish you always a perfect crèma on top of your espresso,
Uwe

PS: I am NOT a company (yet) and this is NOT for promoting some kind of business! I just want to get a feeling, if my thoughts are on the right track, because I belief this could have a chance to be a business.
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 9, 2014, 8:45am
Subject: Re: Mobility of Espresso. Please tell me what you think

I think that this is the wrong place to ask questions abour commercialization of any sort of capsule system. The consensus here seems to be that even the finest capsules are not real espresso. They're stale before they leave the factory, not ground finely enough, and have to rely on artificial means to achieve even the appearance of true espresso.

Plus, the liability factors of carrying boiling water around in a backpack? Even if it made real espresso, it would be a nightmare of lawsuits waiting to happen.
CateWalker
CateWalker

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 3:59am

Hi GVDub

so far I am with you, that the "real thing" called espresso needs to be done fresh and with empathy. I don't want to compete with this, because this is a different world of espresso.

My aim is more to get more quality and espresso competence to places, whrere there is non, making people aware of what it means to drink espresso. Additionally I want to bring a good standard espresso to places, where you are far from getting one. I am using that capsule system since a few years but honestly I never had a stale espresso out of these. Again... I would not compare it to fresh roasted, perfectly grindes and brewed high class espresso. This would be like comparing apples and beans.

Regarding the liability factor I can tell you, that the system is leak safe (5 security levels) and that only 5cl are boiled. So the chance to get burned by boiling water is even smaller then getting hit by an Amtrak ;-) ...what might harm you a little more.

But at the end, this was not my question. the question was, if you would try/buy an espresso out of a system like that or not.

Thanks for your comment. Best wishes
Buckley

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 4:52am

I would not.
But I would give the guy a dollar anyway.
B
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 5:50am

No, I wouldn't drink a capsule beverage out of anything. Period. Life's too short to dirink even mediocre coffee.
CateWalker
CateWalker

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 6:27am

Buckley Said:

I would not.
But I would give the guy a dollar anyway.
B

Posted March 10, 2014 link

;-) ...Thanx Buckley
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 12:57pm

A key question:

How long will an auto be stationary in a Frankfurt traffic jam (on average)?  How much time is required is much less for the fellow who offers you the newspaper? He simply needs to find a customer, engage the customer, hand the newspaper to the customer, wait for the customer to find the money, receive the money in hand and place the money in a pocket or pouch. You will be doing the same things except that instead of handing a newspaper to the customer, you will need to find a cup, draw the coffee, sweeten it or add cream to taste, stir it, find a lid and place the lid on the cup.

You should make an experiment and go to an intersection where the fellow is offering newspapers. Using a stopwatch, you should record the service times and number of papers he sells. Then use the stopwatch at home to time yourself as you go through the actions that you would need to take, and figure out whether you could offer an effective service in the traffic jam situation.

In the US, it's not uncommon for drivers to get their cup of coffee at a drive-through facility located before the point where traffic gets heavy.
Buckley

Posted Mon Mar 10, 2014, 4:43pm

Also (and I apologize for my stuttering installlments of an answer) there is an ineffable quality to an espresso; it is being eclipsed but by no means diminished by the commonplace and vulgar 'caps-to-go' drive-through culture.  What is being referred to is the porcelain cup, a sine qua non of espresso service.  It requires that espresso is savored in situ.  The act of catching an infusion into a paper cup, or worse, pouring it from a shot glass into a paper cup, is a homely exercise in disregarding everything that came before.  Of course if the infusion were at one time encapsulated it might be well to disregard what came before.
I am in no way denigrating your dream, CW; it is a noble daydream to try and turn an espresso into a version of 'a movable feast'.  I am enjoying the inner 'metube' of watching a white-gloved entrepeneur wearing a Victorian-looking steampunk device hand a porcelain cup and saucer to the anonymous occupant of an idling Maybach through the open window only to receive it back with good timing as the light changes, a five-Euro note between the cup and saucer.
Thank you for your creativity; perhaps it will take solid form in ways we both cannot predict.

Buckley
CateWalker
CateWalker

Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 8:24am

Buckley Said:

Also (and I apologize for my stuttering installlments of an answer) there is an ineffable quality to an espresso; it is being eclipsed but by no means diminished by the commonplace and vulgar 'caps-to-go' drive-through culture.  What is being referred to is the porcelain cup, a sine qua non of espresso service.  It requires that espresso is savored in situ.  The act of catching an infusion into a paper cup, or worse, pouring it from a shot glass into a paper cup, is a homely exercise in disregarding everything that came before.  Of course if the infusion were at one time encapsulated it might be well to disregard what came before.
I am in no way denigrating your dream, CW; it is a noble daydream to try and turn an espresso into a version of 'a movable feast'.  I am enjoying the inner 'metube' of watching a white-gloved entrepeneur wearing a Victorian-looking steampunk device hand a porcelain cup and saucer to the anonymous occupant of an idling Maybach through the open window only to receive it back with good timing as the light changes, a five-Euro note between the cup and saucer.
Thank you for your creativity; perhaps it will take solid form in ways we both cannot predict.

Buckley

Posted March 10, 2014 link

Wow... first of all, thanx a lot Buckley for your way of expressing yourself. It's a fact, that I needed to use a translator for a few expressions I've never heard before. No joke! Thank you for that, because I love it to learn and my senses told me after reading, that you must have style and education. This explaines as well to me, that you have nothing to deal with any kind of mass-coffee-chain products and I accept that.

Due to the fact, that the numbers of Maybach in any street of the world is extremely limited, I wouldn't see any business as well, not even with white gloves and porcellain cups included. My aim is simply to offer a better quality and a unique service on top, as competitors like "Moonpennies" offer. Surely this is still mass market and far below of what you would call an espresso. Therefore I asked about the service itself, not the battle for quality. Compared to the whole market and what you sometimes get, when you ordered an espresso, my espresso should belong to the better ones you can get in gastronomy.

@johnboddie
In Frankfurt, cars are stationary or moving sometimes very slow for about 5 red light phases. Each one is 2min long. The output peak of my machine can be one portion each 30sec but realistic is 1min each... all included. In fact, traffic jams are not the #1 place for service, but it is possible and at the end there was my eureka! moment. It does make more sense to offer this service to fairs and events, stadiums and other POI's. Just look around you and you will see many places where there are masses of people and no café in sight.
johnboddie

Espresso: MCAL, Brasilia Mini Classic,...
Grinder: Rossi RR45a,Rocky,...
Drip: Cuisinart (non-grinding)
Posted Tue Mar 11, 2014, 11:19am

For coffee service at fairs and markets, coffee vendors will usually have an espresso/coffee cart, much like a schnell-imbiss cart, located near a power source. There are many configurations possible.  Best of luck.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Mobility of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271547079086)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+