Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Swirled extraction from bottomless portafilter
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Swirled...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
kajitox

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 7:59am
Subject: Swirled extraction from bottomless portafilter

Hey folks, I've been having an interesting problem the last couple of days and want to know if it's due to what I suspect. First, gear:

-La Nuova Era Cuadra II
-Baratza Preciso
-Bottomless portafilter

I'll weigh each shot, I use a OE dosing ring and an almost-needlepoint to ensure even distribution. I do a cooling flush and measure the temperature with Eric's thermometer. It should be a no-brainer at that point, right? Well, I put the portafilter in the group, pull the lever and I start to see really nice, thick drips from all over the basket, coalescing...but as it does, it stops extracting from certain parts of the basket. Then since the coffee is only coming out of small parts of the basket and is getting strangely extracted, the pull comes out heavily tiger striped *and* swirled like a barber's pole.

I pulled 6 shots one after the other to narrow the problems down: I changed my dose between 18-20g, I changed my grind within a couple of large clicks on the hopper (significant on the Preciso), then in an act of desperation, I changed the beans to make sure it wasn't those beans.

Now personally I think this sounds like a problem with dosing or grinding. As I mentioned, I'm pretty meticulous about dose. Grind, though...maybe it could be the grinder! I checked the grinds on a plate and inspected them like a madman (my housemates were questioning my sanity). Nothing wrong there, either.

Last possible thing: maybe it's the beans. The beans are old. It's true. I used a 2 week old geisha and a 3 week old aricha. I've had them both pull nicely in the past though...

Can anyone confirm that old beans could cause what I'm experiencing, or do you think there's another culprit?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
StereoHeathen

Expertise: Pro Barista

Grinder: "Starbucks" Baratza Maestro
Drip: Bee House, Clever
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 12:23pm
Subject: Re: Swirled extraction from bottomless portafilter

How does it taste?
I honestly don't understand what the problem is.

And yes, old beans sometimes just do strange things.
 View Profile Link to this post
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 6:57pm

Your machine outclasses your grinder by a mile! Something with better ability to dial in is what I'd put my money on. I tried some god-knows-how-old beans from Natural Grocers equal exchange "Fill a big" to get me through a day before my new stuff arrived (I shop there anyway), and it needed a pretty stinking fine setting on my Vario, about a 2-B. Normally I'm about 2-P through 2-E, and thats a pretty stinking fine adjustment going from too fast to ristretto territory.

[espresso snobbery] natural grocers equal exchange espresso blend at who knows how old has some blueberry acidity, more than I can say for *$, and is only about a full city roast! How can a volume grocery store level espresso blend outdo starbucks? I guess just ask a Starbucks barista what kind of tamper they use, problem solved [/espresso snobbery]

Pretty Stinking Fine.
 View Profile Link to this post
kajitox

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra II
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Drip: Bodom French Press,...
Posted Thu Mar 13, 2014, 9:42pm

Tragic, but you might be right. I love the Preciso and it's tough to spend another $500 on a Vario, but I can't help but think: "what would cause this type of uneven extraction excluding the distribution?" and it really comes down to the grind...

I'm going to get some fresher beans and see if the problem continues. If it doesn't, though, I want to pay more attention to the tiger striping of the shots to see if I still have strange spots where it's not extracting evenly.

As for the taste - the aricha is pretty bright to begin with. I can usually tell bright from acrid and this was just bright. The body was pretty good, all things considered. But the problem with those test shots was that they started pulling so crappy that I always cut them off around 1oz -- more in a ristretto range. If I had tried to pull them into a full 1.5-2oz I'm not convinced they'd be drinkable.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Swirled...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211478948593)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+