Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Extraction time low (~15 seconds) for double shots?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extraction time...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
eternal

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 3:35pm
Subject: Extraction time low (~15 seconds) for double shots?

Hi,

I'm pretty new to coffee and espresso so I'm probably making some beginners' mistakes. I have a...

Breville Cafe Roma w/ unpressurized portafilter
Breville BCG450XL burr grinder
some sort of metallic tamper

I understand that extraction time is a result of a combination of factors, but I'm not sure what's going wrong. I grind on the finest setting and tamp a few times, but both the unpressurized and pressurized filters give me roughly the same (around 15sec) extraction time (the former without much crema at all). I've tried extracting until around 20 or 22 secs but the espresso just becomes watery.

I doubt there's a concrete "perfect" extraction time, but I've noticed my home espresso tastes a bit less rich or full than espresso from most cafes.

Also, these times were counted from the moment I turn the switch, not from the moment the espresso starts flowing. I'm not sure which is correct.
 View Profile Link to this post
SproBro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Wed Mar 19, 2014, 9:28pm
Subject: Re: Extraction time low (~15 seconds) for double shots?

You need an espresso grinder. From the looks you can get espresso grinds out of this machine through modification, like most other bare bones burr grinders, at the expense of your time, effort, and likely increased wear on the machine. A common theme among the dozens of reviews of this machine on coffeegeek is "does not do espresso grind" or "does not do espresso grind without modification".

Extraction for most espresso is 22-35 seconds to my knowledge, faster than that and I don't think you'll get a fully developed beverage. You can search the forums or internet to find the modification procedure, or threads recommending certain grinders for espresso; there is substantial reading one needs to do in order to begin to grasp the big espresso picture.

Good luck sir/ma'am :)
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 6:00am

That Breville grinder is useless for espresso, that's your problem. Even the Smart Grinder (Brevilles top grinder)  is barely passable for espresso shots. Need an "real"  espresso grinder if your using a depressurized basket. Espresso requires fresh roasted beans as well, anything store bought is stale junk, and anything with a use by or sell by date run from.

Need an espresso grinder and fresh roasted beans and you'll get much better results than you are now even on a Cafe Roma. Depends on your budget for upgrading.
eternal

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 4:03pm

Okay, thanks. I was worried about the grinder... it's all I have for now, but I'll look into the mod.

One problem though. I also tried some pre-ground espresso beans that I had lying around (some brand called Caffe Barbera), but the extraction time was about the same. They weren't the freshest, admittedly. But I'm not sure if I didn't tamp correctly or if even these pre-ground beans aren't an actual espresso grind.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 8:26pm

Usually pre-ground beans are far too course to be considered espresso grind even when that is how they are advertised. Try tamping much harder to get a slower extraction time, but don't expect too much from pre-ground. They stale much faster than whole-bean, too. Once you make the jump to fresh, you'll ask yourself why you never did sooner. There are many roasters who sell inexpensive beans that are not much more (including shipping) than that bought at a retail store.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Extraction time...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.197008132935)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+