Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Why are all my shots bitter?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Why are all my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
RonMJ

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Dream T
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Cuisanart
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 6:28pm
Subject: Why are all my shots bitter?

So I've had my Dream T for almost two weeks.  I've run almost two pounds of coffee (Ethiopia Harrar - local roaster, and Toscano from CCC) through it.  The grinder is a Vario.  I've tried 14, 15, 17, 19 grams.  1 oz, 1.5 oz, 1.8 oz., all in about 25 seconds.  196 and 198 degrees.  Frustratingly, there is not much difference between all the shots, probably because every shot is characterized by a sharp bitterness and a not so good aftertaste.  No fruit, caramel, chocolate and all the other flavors I've read about and expected from a $2,200 espresso machine.  I bought the machine from Chris' so it should be properly calibrated.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 8:51pm
Subject: Re: Why are all my shots bitter?

I'll leave the diagnostics to other, more experienced forumites, but what is your experience with espresso? I only ask because when I first started with my (cheap) machine, my results were either extremely bitter or extremely sour. After making some modifications, I found that my shots were much better, but I am still noticing that with each shot I appreciate the taste more and more. When first starting, I could barely describe the differences between bitter, sour, or other flavor notes, but as my palate becomes accustomed to such strong flavors, it has been much more tolerable and pleasant.

Have you tried any other roasts? My experience with Ethiopian tends to be quite bright - certainly not my taste for espresso, but very nice for drip.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 10:11pm

1 - Forget extraction time. It is complicating matters at this point.
2 - Stick with one dose. Something that leaves sufficient headroom when locked in.
3 -  Find a grind that is close and vary temperature until you get the best taste
4 - Keep that temperature and change the dose SLIGHTLY and repeat #3
5 - Read Chapter 139 "Once Again Variables Are King" on my website and see that you are not alone.
6 - On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SproBro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Thu Mar 20, 2014, 11:38pm

If you do not have a bottomless portafilter, I highly highly recommend that you acquire one. Visual analysis of how your shots develop and pour is extremely valuable into resolving issues.
RonMJ

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 4:26am

SproBro Said:

If you do not have a bottomless portafilter, I highly highly recommend that you acquire one. Visual analysis of how your shots develop and pour is extremely valuable into resolving issues.

Posted March 20, 2014 link

I have a bottomless.  Came with a triple basket.  My extractions do need work:  some look good, some look, well, pretty bad.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Drip: chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 6:56am

Are you 100% confident that it's bitter? I know plenty of people that when it comes to espresso get the two mixed up. I would expect that your beans are a lighter roast and would therefore need a little higher of a temperature to get out the 'fruit' tastes. I usually like to drop it in a french press to see what kind of tastes are in there first.

Then again, like others said, it takes awhile to figure out what you actually taste in espresso.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 9:28am

There are many reasons coffee can be bitter.  If the cause is technique, as seems extremely likely, than the coffee is over extracted.  

Randy (frcn) is right.  Do what he says. My own approach is slightly different.  Randy like to move in small steps, I like to start with big ones and then bracket.  But let's not clutter this up with confusing distinctions which won't lead to ultimate differences.  Do what Randy said, and you'll fix your problem.

RonMJ Said:

I have a bottomless.  Came with a triple basket.  My extractions do need work:  some look good, some look, well, pretty bad.

Posted March 21, 2014 link

It's possible that at least some of your over extraction results from distribution.  A bottomless pf will reveal if one part of your puck is denser than another, or whether your pucks channel and/or crack.  Bottomless pfs are also easier to keep clean and will net you slightly better mouthfeel.

But, channeling, side channeling, spritzing, and cracking are all signs of sour, under extraction. Bottomless pfs typically aren't much of a help in solving over extraction problems.

HOWEVER, triple baskets suck.  Pop it out of the pf and replace it with one of your double baskets.  

There's a lot of variance in baskets -- even those from a given maker, of a given size and shape.  The only real consistency is from VST and Strada baskets.  I think the consistency is worth their high price (about $30/basket) but you may not.

Hope this helps,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
RonMJ

Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:14am

Problem solved. Mostly.  Chris' Coffee Service did NOT set the boiler offset before shipping, which is what they told me over the phone that they do on all these machines. I guess that they just missed it on mine. A member of the S1 Café suggested I check, and it was set at -10 instead of 0. So the brew temperature was off by 10 degrees from what I had selected.  I verified this on the phone this morning with CCS.  The taste is a lot better now since the temp is not off by 10 degrees.  Now I can focus on how to go from okay to good to great shots.  Thanks for all the help.  The suggestions give me a lot to use to improve.
TheRealScubaSteve
TheRealScubaSteve
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Delonghi EC155
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Fri Mar 21, 2014, 10:29am

Thanks for the update. I would've never known there was such a thing.

"But it is not a perfect world and none of us are god-shots.  As for me, I am a little over extracted and therefore slightly bitter and my crema is thin..." -Buckley
RonMJ

Posted Sat Mar 22, 2014, 4:37pm

frcn Said:

1 - Forget extraction time. It is complicating matters at this point.
2 - Stick with one dose. Something that leaves sufficient headroom when locked in.
3 -  Find a grind that is close and vary temperature until you get the best taste
4 - Keep that temperature and change the dose SLIGHTLY and repeat #3
5 - Read Chapter 139 "Once Again Variables Are King" on my website and see that you are not alone.
6 - On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME.

Posted March 20, 2014 link

Maybe I'm missing something but in #3, find a grind that is close to what, without using a fixed extraction time? As I'm varying the grind, without a fixed extraction time I'm dealing with two variables, not one.   Do I just look for blonding without regard to time?  Unless I know when to stop the shot I can't determine what the change in grind is doing.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Why are all my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303539037704)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+