Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
EC155 - Very hard to attach portafilter all the way
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > EC155 - Very...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
RobbW
RobbW
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton with drill
Drip: Hario V60 Pour-over,...
Roaster: Stovetop and Oven
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 7:42am
Subject: EC155 - Very hard to attach portafilter all the way

Hey all.  New CG here with my first post.  I apologize if this has been asked and answered before.  I searched the forums using both the CG search function and also the Google site search function and could not find anything addressing my issue.

I purchased a Delonghi EC155 yesterday.  Being the impatient OCD type that I am, I immediately opened the box and started playing as soon as I got it home.  After spending a couple hours making shot after shot trying to dial everything in, my only complaint so far (other than my lack of espresso experience) is that the portafilter is very difficult to attach and turn all the way to the front of the machine.  If I want the PF to be installed with the handle sticking straight out to the front (as I assume is how it should be), I literally have to hold the machine down with all the strength in my left arm and apply significant force to turn it all the way forward.  This is the case whether I attach the PF empty or filled with coffee.  Then, when I twist the PF to the left to remove it, I sometimes hear a slight metal-on-metal grinding noise.

Should the EC155's PF be this difficult to attach?  Do others have this problem?  I have only tried using the double filter that comes with the EC155 as I don't care to ever brew a single.  Would there be any difference between the two?  (I'm at work now.  So I cannot check at the moment.)  Is there anything I can do to make the PF attach more smoothly?  I don't want to damage anything, and that's what I'm afraid I'm going to do if I have to keep using brute force like this.

Thanks,
Robb
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Apr 11, 2014, 6:49pm
Subject: Re: EC155 - Very hard to attach portafilter all the way

Hi Robb, welcome to CG.

You only need to rotate the PF handle enough to tighten it against the gasket enough to prevent leaks.  It is usually pliable enough especially when new to seal with not much pressure or rotation.  Do not aim for a specific spot of rotation.  Just seal the leak and the gasket may last longer.

Nope, not related to the basket, single vs double, unless the basket has a different lip, and it should not.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 2:00pm

RobbW Said:

Hey all.  New CG here with my first post.  I apologize if this has been asked and answered before.  I searched the forums using both the CG search function and also the Google site search function and could not find anything addressing my issue.

I purchased a Delonghi EC155 yesterday.  Being the impatient OCD type that I am, I immediately opened the box and started playing as soon as I got it home.  After spending a couple hours making shot after shot trying to dial everything in, my only complaint so far (other than my lack of espresso experience) is that the portafilter is very difficult to attach and turn all the way to the front of the machine.  If I want the PF to be installed with the handle sticking straight out to the front (as I assume is how it should be), I literally have to hold the machine down with all the strength in my left arm and apply significant force to turn it all the way forward.  This is the case whether I attach the PF empty or filled with coffee.  Then, when I twist the PF to the left to remove it, I sometimes hear a slight metal-on-metal grinding noise.

Should the EC155's PF be this difficult to attach?  Do others have this problem?  I have only tried using the double filter that comes with the EC155 as I don't care to ever brew a single.  Would there be any difference between the two?  (I'm at work now.  So I cannot check at the moment.)  Is there anything I can do to make the PF attach more smoothly?  I don't want to damage anything, and that's what I'm afraid I'm going to do if I have to keep using brute force like this.

Thanks,
Robb

Posted April 11, 2014 link

thats what fifty dollars buys you. I found myself lifting it off the table accidentally all the time, ha. But like stated, I wouldn't worry where the handle ends up. just pull until it stops moving using light pressure.
RobbW
RobbW

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 2:20pm

brianl Said:

thats what fifty dollars buys you. I found myself lifting it off the table accidentally all the time, ha. But like stated, I wouldn't worry where the handle ends up. just pull until it stops moving using light pressure.

Posted April 13, 2014 link

$75, but who's counting?!  Yeah, I know I'm getting in at the low end, but I've never really been in to espresso before. I'm a regular coffee drinker; high-quality regular coffee though.  I prefer to spend my money on the beans rather than the equipment. I roast my own coffee at home. However, I roast in a pan on the stove or a perforated sheet in the oven. No fancy expensive roaster for me. I brew my coffee using all manner of manual methods (pour-over, French press, Aeropress). No fancy expensive brewing equipment for me. I've been enjoying pure coffee bliss at home for about 10 years this way.

Only just recently did I decide to check out this whole other side of the coffee universe: espresso. I didn't want to spend too much on equipment right off the bat if it turns out I don't care for it in the long run. Plus, I have the SAF (Spousal Acceptance Factor) I have to contend with. I couldn't really justify to her spending multiple hundreds of dollars on espresso equipment when I have never really shown much interest in it before. Especially since I go so low-tech with all the rest of my coffee brewing equipment and still manage to brew coffee that stands out from almost any cafe I visit.  I'm just getting my feet wet in the world of espresso. If it turns out I really like it and the upgrade bug bites, then so be it. At least the EC155 will give me plenty of room to practice and learn about espresso without having to take out a small loan! ;-)
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 2:56pm

You can have a great time with that machine for fairly low budget.  A great place to start

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/522849

Think about a non-pressurized portafilter and fitted tamper, or mod the pf to unpressurized.  If you staem much, change the wand,  Eventually you can add PID, and if you are decent at DIY, it is a reasonable cost and can be moved to another machine. You're off to a good start.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
RobbW
RobbW

Posted Sun Apr 13, 2014, 4:26pm

Thanks!  First things I did with this machine after I got it (besides joining CG) was to depressurize the PF. I also got the 607706 basket and converted to stock PF to bottomless. I also performed the Silvia wand upgrade. All this, and I  only had the machine sine Thursday!  I may have gone low-cost to begin with, but I'm nothing if not OCD about modding equipment to make it mo' betta!
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 4:00am

Sounds like your already off to a good start.  What grinder do you have paired with your EC155?  Make sure you don't over fill the basket.  That will make it hard to lock in the portafilter.  Congrats on the mods!
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
RobbW
RobbW

Posted Mon Apr 14, 2014, 6:17pm

Meh, nothing great.  Just the stainless version of the Capresso Infinity grinder.  It has always worked perfectly fine for brewed coffee.  And since I already had a grinder and just bought another piece of coffee gadgetry, I really have no way to justify to my wife (or myself at the moment) the need to get a new expensive grinder.  Maybe in the future when I've moved beyond the newbie learning phase of espresso, I will consider upgrading to high-quality equipment.  I'm just having fun learning the methods for now!
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano DB
Grinder: HG One, OE Lido 2, Baratza...
Drip: Chemex/V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 6:13am

RobbW Said:

Meh, nothing great.  Just the stainless version of the Capresso Infinity grinder.  It has always worked perfectly fine for brewed coffee.  And since I already had a grinder and just bought another piece of coffee gadgetry, I really have no way to justify to my wife (or myself at the moment) the need to get a new expensive grinder.  Maybe in the future when I've moved beyond the newbie learning phase of espresso, I will consider upgrading to high-quality equipment.  I'm just having fun learning the methods for now!

Posted April 14, 2014 link

Just make sure when you do upgrade, that it's the grinder first. Even for your current setup, the infinity grinder is a stretch. Maybe get a hand grinder like the LIDO 2? It costs 175$ but thats peanuts compared to the 450$ Vario.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2014, 7:25am

Get a Hario Skerton hand grinder and do the step-less mod (can find instructions on here). Cheap and effective, and will be much better than the Infinity. Being depressurized/using normal basket you need something at least capable of espresso grinding. Congrats, I started with a Bar32 (same internals as the EC155) and depressurized it as well, and then the bug bit ;)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > EC155 - Very...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31690120697)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+