Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Erratic Brew Pressure on Vibiemme Domobar Super
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Erratic Brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
danield

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 12:44am
Subject: Erratic Brew Pressure on Vibiemme Domobar Super

Hi,
My Domobar used to brew at a near constant 12 Bars of pressure throughout the brew cycle. A couple of days ago the brew started to get extremely weak with the gauge jumping between 8 and 11 a few times during the cycle, with the sound and coffee flow to match.
Right before this happened I replaced the in-tank water softener so I thought it might have something to do with it. I tried brewing one time without it but still no change.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 9:06am
Subject: Re: Erratic Brew Pressure on Vibiemme Domobar Super

Access teh pressure relief valve, remove the screw, spring, and piston, Clean and lube it, and check the bore of the body for foreign matter, corrosion, and scale before assembly.
But brewing at 12 BAR? That's pretty high unless there is something wrong with the gauge.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 9:43am

frcn Said:

Brewing at 12 BAR? That's pretty high unless there is something wrong with the gauge.

Posted April 16, 2014 link

+1.

Way too high.  Vibratory pumps increase pressure with load, and (a nice thing about that), pressure can be used as a diagnostic.  12bar means a lot of load, which strongly implies you've got the grind/dose dynamic screwed up to the point where you're over extracting by quite a bit (over extraction -> bitter).

You want a pressure reading which goes almost immediately to 9 (ideally, but 8.7 - 9.7 is OK) and stays there through (or very nearly through) the duration of the shot.  A pressure drop indicates channeling.  High pressure indicates a grind which is too fine or an over dose.  Low pressure indicates a grind which is too coarse.  Gradually dropping pressure indicates an under dose.  Etc., etc.    

Rich
danield

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 9:54am

Somehow I got it in my head that 12 was the desired pressure so I upped the ground dosage and tamping pressure a while ago...
frcn - do you know of a (visual) guide for cleaning the pressure relief valve? (is it the valve on top of the boiler on the side opposite the pressurestat?)
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 10:18am

danield Said:

... so I upped the ground dosage and tamping pressure...

Tamp pressure rarely affects more than the first few seconds of the shot -- especially with pre-infusion (which is a part of your E-61 group).  

If you're getting an appropriate flow rate and brew ratio, you may want to tighten the grind as you reduce dosage.  But keep your "eye" on the balance of bitter and sour, as well as on assertiveness.  

Rich
frcn
frcn

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2014, 4:35pm

danield Said:

Somehow I got it in my head that 12 was the desired pressure so I upped the ground dosage and tamping pressure a while ago...
frcn - do you know of a (visual) guide for cleaning the pressure relief valve? (is it the valve on top of the boiler on the side opposite the pressurestat?)

It is NOT the valve on top of the boiler. See THIS post and THIS post and THIS post. Remove case and (iirc) possibly the divider(?) and put a towel under the machine. Unscrwew the but slotted screw thing and remove it. Pull out the spring and remove the piston inside the valve (it just pulls out). Check condition of the spring (and be sure it is one of the newer ones), clean the piston and bore, replace the O-ring if necessary, lube with Dow 111 which is called something else now, and reassemble. Use a blind filter and adjust the valve by turning the screw one way or ther other to get a max of about 10.5 to 11 (I do not recall the best setting offhand). 12 is just a screaming prayer for over-extraction.

Visit My Website
danield

Posted Fri May 2, 2014, 11:56pm

Thanks for your help everyone. At first the technician also though it was the pump but after testing with a blind flush it turned out to be fine. The erratic pressure was apparently the result of improper grind/tamping etc..
frcn
frcn

Posted Sat May 3, 2014, 9:12am

As it often turns out, most espresso problems are caused by a loose nut behind the portafilter handle.  ;-)

Visit My Website
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Erratic Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.263518095016)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+