Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
I'm confused about proper amount of ground coffee?!?!
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I'm confused...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
RobbW
RobbW
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: DeLonghi EC155
Grinder: Hario Skerton with drill
Drip: Hario V60 Pour-over,...
Roaster: Stovetop and Oven
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 2:26pm
Subject: I'm confused about proper amount of ground coffee?!?!

Okay, so I'm doing my best to learn proper techniques for making espresso.  I realize I have cheap, crappy equipment for the moment, but at least I can continue practicing technique for when I get a proper setup.  However, something has been bugging me since I started into the addictive hobby of making espresso: the proper amount of ground coffee to pull a shot.

I know most of you will probably shake your heads thinking, "Hasn't this been asked and gone over like a gazillion times?!"  Yes, it has, but here's the catch: I keep seeing, hearing, and reading about different grind volumes just about everywhere I turn.  I know that traditionally a single shot of espresso uses roughly 7 grams of ground coffee, and that a double would be 14 grams.  I only make doubles so let's stick with that.  Before I got any espresso equipment, I was reading a book my wife got me for my birthday last year.  It is "The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee".  In the espresso section of his book, James Freeman relays his method for dialing in a shot of espresso.  He says to use around 18.5 grams of coffee and then adjust the grind and tamp accordingly to get the right volume of extraction in the accorded amount of time.  I have also seen this 18 grams number bandied about here on the forums and in numerous YouTube videos I have watched trying to learn about making espresso.

And then there are all the YT videos, instructional videos on cafe's/roaster's websites, forum posts, and numerous other places where folks just grind directly into their PF basket until it is overflowing, level it off, tamp it, and then pull their shot; all without measuring the weight of coffee used.

So, if I want to make a double shot of espresso at home, how much coffee should I be using: 14 grams, ~18 grams, or just fill the basket until it is overflowing?

BTW, I'm using an EC155 and a Hario Skerton manual grinder attached to a drill.  Like I said, crappy machine and a so-so acceptable grinder.  Also, I converted my PF to bottomless and replaced the basket with the Delonghi #607706 basket.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 2:29pm
Subject: Re: I'm confused about proper amount of ground coffee?!?!

Use 14 TO ~ 18, just be CONSISTENT in the weight, the same each time then adjust from there for grind.

My preference is 18 g for 2 floz, you may prefer something different.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 3:14pm

I had a Bar32, samething as an EC155 just different design. With those machines you can't go off any recommendations from roasters or general guidelines. Mainly b/c the baskets are way smaller then a regular machine basket for single and double sizes. For example my double basket on my CC1 can easily do 18g no prob, the double basket on my Bar32 if I remember could barely do 12g if that maybe slightly more maybe slightly less max depending on bean/blend/roast level, any more and the puck will fracture locking it in or pressing against the screen w/ like no headroom once pump is turned on. And no way is an EC155 fitting anywhere near 18g in the basket lol.
RobbW
RobbW

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 4:24pm

I'm not using the OEM pressurized basket that came with the EC155.  I'm using the # 607706 replacement basket on the modded bottomless PF.  I have been using 18 grams in the PF with every attempt since I got the replacement basket.  It fits.  I might lose a half gram or so with leveling off the basket, but it fits.  And with a good tamp, the puck gets nowhere near the shower screen.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 5:26pm

RobbW Said:

And with a good tamp, the puck gets nowhere near the shower screen.

Posted April 18, 2014 link

That sounds like you could dose more, or perhaps tamp less (not both...only change one thing at a time).  The puck coming "nowhere near the shower screen" is not the goal.  Read the section in the following link regarding dosing.  It goes into some great detail on how to tell how much to dose.  Reading the rest of the info is also highly recommended:

http://www.frcndigital.com/coffee/HowToEspresso.html
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 5:28pm

Ahhh, forgot about that, thought you were using the stock baskets. The PF is small on these machines so I'm guessing the basket is really deep for bottomless to fit 18g and not come near the screen, any impression on the top of the puck after extraction? Do you have a digi scale that weighs to .1g? Or if not how are you weighing? Personally I usually stick around 16-18G, I'll play around with a bean/blend and keep track of the dose for next time. Really not a noticeably taste difference, more so some beans/blend pulled better at 18 then they did at 16 for example. I'm using a Papua New Guinea right now at 16.5g
RobbW
RobbW

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 6:57pm

Yes the basket is fairly deep. I also got a La Pavoni basket that is slightly shallower. I keep going back and forth between the two but haven't settled on a preferred basket. I am using a My Weigh Triton 2 scale to weigh down to 0.1g resolution.
SproBro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 9:40pm

I believe the correct answer is: there is no correct answer. I'm using a 21g Strada basket with 18.6g (I usually adjust dose in .3's). It seems like at 20+ grams my puck building technique just isn't good enough to get an even extraction. I like my espresso pretty in-your-face tasting though, with high viscosity.

I feel like 14-16g is easier to build a good puck at though.
RobbW
RobbW

Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014, 4:48pm

Okay, I think I may know where some of my confusion is coming from.  In the "Blue Bottle" book I am reading, the author says to never use the single basket, only the double.  He uses 18.5 grams and pulls a shot in 25-30 seconds.  However, he also talks about pulling a shot volume of 30-35mm in that 25-30 seconds.  That can't be right.  That would be the volume for a single shot, right?  If I'm pulling a double, shouldn't I be pulling ~60ml?
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Apr 19, 2014, 5:17pm

Here is a good place to start with volumes and weights of espresso.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

The weight of espresso brewed will depend on your taste.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > I'm confused...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.280539989471)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+