Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
What is the name of this coffee beverage?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What is the name...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Baldrake

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 2:07am
Subject: What is the name of this coffee beverage?

Not the usual kind of question posted here, but I'm sure there are people who will know!

I've been looking for what to use in the English-speaking world to order a particular drink.

In Germany, it's just called "Kaffee", as in the default thing you get when you order a coffee.

In France, I think it's called "long cafe" (long coffee.)

This is basically a medium-sized cup of espresso-brewed coffee, much larger than a simple espresso shot. I'm pretty sure it's just what you get when you brew an espresso and let the water run longer, but maybe I'm wrong.

It's not an Americano, which as far as I can tell is usually delivered as a pint of weak espresso brewed coffee, and is basically undrinkable.

Does anyone know what this is called if you go to a typical high-street coffee shop?

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 2:15am
Subject: Re: What is the name of this coffee beverage?

It could be a lungo that you mean which is an espresso shot run longer.

Ian

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 2:18am

I've just found the link to the espresso chart http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/questions/505643 and there's another one here Click Here (popchartlab.com)

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
Baldrake

Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 2:34am

Thanks guys, I checked the chart, and you're right, I think I mean a Lungo!
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 27, 2014, 8:34am

Baldrake Said:

Thanks guys, I checked the chart, and you're right, I think I mean a Lungo!

Posted April 27, 2014 link

You actually want to go to the next degree of dilution, which is cafe crema aka cafa suisse.  

The grind for a lungo should be coarser than for a normale, and the grind for a cafe crema should be coarser than for a lungo.  Dosing should be the same or only very slightly higher than for a normale. Respective flow rates, should be respectively faster.  Lungos aren't much of a problem.  

On the other hand, because cafe crema shots will finish so blond, judging the end point by eye is very difficult.  Most machines' brew temperatures will drop during the long pull, but a few machines' temps, NS Oscar for instance, will rise unacceptably.  Unless everything is on the mark, cafe cremas tend to be simultaneously over-extracted (bitter), and attenuated (weak).  

Shops which make a lot of cafe crema have grinders set correctly for the drink; and that's about 90% of the way home; and of course, baristas who make the same drink over and over quickly learn the rest of the tricks.  Oddly, there are one or two super-automatics which make outstanding cafe crema; and mokapot coffee isn't too far off.

If your plan is to go back and forth from normales to lungos or cremas, remember that you'll have to reset the grinder every time you switch.  

It's much easier to do an Americano or long black well.  

An Americano is a shot or double shot of regular espresso, with hot water poured on the shot.  It can be diluted to any degree you like.  If an Americano tastes watery and weak, it was poorly made.  If it

A Long Black is an increasingly popular alternative to an Americano.  It's made by pulling the shot on to the hot water.  Reversing the Americano's sequence does two things.  It allows the crema to stay on top, and prevents the barista from burning the espresso by putting superheated water from the machine's tap directly on top of the shot.  

Not only is it easier to make a good Americano or long black than it is a cafe crema, but a normale diluted with hot water (which is what they both are) brings a lot more of the coffee's nuances to the cup than a lungo or crema.

My wife drinks long blacks, she prefers them with cream and sugar.  Here's how:
  • Have a clean steaming pitcher, sugar (or sweetener), cream, and a cup or glass redy;
  • Pull hot water from the machine's tap into the pitcher;
  • Add the sugar to the cup;
  • Pour some water from the pitcher on the sugar, enough to make a simple syrup;
  • Add the appropriate amount of cream;
  • Add more water -- enough for the desired dilution.  Typically that's either the same or double the amount of the shot you'll pull.
  • Grind the coffee and prep the basket; and finally
  • Pull the shot (or double shot) on top of the water.  

If desired, you can add a little more water from the pitcher on top of the shot which will diminish some of the inherent bitterness of the first sip, and slightly mix the drink.

To make a regular long black, just omit all the cream and sugar and their extra steps.  That is, hot -- but not too hot -- water in the glass or cup; then pull the shot on top.  

The secrets, such as they are, to making an Americano is to use water that's the right temperature, and not to over dilute.  The best practice for the barista, is to pull the shot, remove the pf from the group, then immediately pull (already temped) water from the group into the cup.

Hope this helps,
Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Baldrake

Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 3:39am

Whoh, Rich, I am going to print this out. What a lot of ideas, and I think some serious experimentation is going to follow! Thanks a million for taking the time to write this all out.
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon Apr 28, 2014, 8:42pm

My girlfriend insists on drinking drip coffee and won't do espresso drinks...perhaps as a result of the lengths I take my hobby too :-)  However, the long black with cream and sugar sounds like something she'll love.  I'll sneak one into her cup instead of the drip and see her response.  Thanks for the nice instructions Rich.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > What is the name...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240135192871)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+