Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Touch-N-Fill Auto Filler?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Touch-N-Fill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Sun May 11, 2014, 8:28am
Subject: Touch-N-Fill Auto Filler?

Anyone seen this or heard anything else about it?  I'm intrigued.  

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1805098759/touch-n-filltm-25-auto-water-filling-for-your-coff
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun May 11, 2014, 8:59am
Subject: Re: Touch-N-Fill Auto Filler?

No thought, opinion, or comment about the device's suitability for a Keurig.  But a less than good idea for an espresso machine.  

Espresso machine reservoirs should be completely emptied and refilled (to whatever level is appropriate) on a regular and frequent basis.  Biweekly is good, every other day better, and daily better still.  

Reservoirs should also be washed with hot water and soap on a regular and frequent basis; weekly is probably the absolute minimum; but "safe food handling practices" suggests more often.  

When I last owned a reservoir fed espresso machine, I ended up removing and emptying the reservoir every other day; and since it was out, wotthehell wotthehell, might as well wash it too.  It's not like it needed to dry before going back into the machine and getting refilled or anything.  It was a lesson learned the hard and disgusting way.  Lower frequency than once a week meant weird stuff floating.  Sadly, weird stuff floating doesn't just mean "wash me," it also means "you're waiting to long."      

That the reservoir should be removed at least twice a week, if only to be emptied, is reason why an auto-fill is not much of a convenience.  How much more of a problem is it to schlepp a pitcher to the machine along with your freshly emptied reservoir than just schlepping the reservoir itself?  

Some people find the thought of changing the water and cleaning the reservoir as often as I'm suggesting to be controversial, unnecessary, onerous, insulting, etc.  But ask yourself this:  If you were served coffee at a restaurant which ladled its water into the machine from a loosely covered vat held at room temperature, how often would you want that vat completely refreshed?  How often would you want it cleaned?  

Last, not many communities in the US supply tap water that's right for espresso.  Most people need some kind of filtration, or use bottled water...  So...    

Am I haranguing again?

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mikeh9
mikeh9
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 4:43am

I love inventing things so I created this little device to make my life easier and have been using it for quite some time now. It works really well for my Kuerig.

I created a Kickstarter project because I thought other people might like it too. I really hope people will be willing to back it and help me out.

I would be happy to answer questions and I hope I'm not violating any forum rules.

mikeh9: Controller - Maker - Overview Med.JPG
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 9:33pm

Sorry it took me a minute to get back on this thread.  

Rich--I see what you're saying, sort of silly on my part for not putting that together.  I'm sort of surprised I didn't come across more of such discussion when I was researching a float-valve setup (didn't end up doing it...hopefully someday I'll have something to plumb in directly).  Perhaps people were already in tune with cleaning the tank, or just attempt to ignore it.  I'm sort of a neat-freak and enjoy doing regular maintenance so I'm going to try and be more regular with my tank washings.  

Hi Mikeh9, thanks for joining the conversation.  It's really nice to get input on new stuff from the people that did the creation.  The above post sort of answered some of my concerns (most people on this forum are espresso machine users, so there may be some delta between your design and what you may have designed with espresso machines in mind).  That being said...it's a great idea and seems to simplify a lot of stuff compared to other methods of auto-fill.  After installation, how easy would it be remove the device from the tank for cleaning purposes?  The water tanks I'm talking about are housed within the walls of the machine (water inlet holes for tubes are present), and covered by the top of lid of the machine.  Thanks, and good luck with the kickstarter!
mikeh9
mikeh9
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 4:36am

The reason I designed the system this way instead of the float based design is for two reasons:

1. This design requires no modification to your machine. The fill tubing just needs to enter the tank somewhere and is easily removed if needed.
  2. This design is easy to clean. You just remove the fill tube and clean as before.

If anyone has any ideas of things that are needed in this world let me know. Maybe we can make it.

Michael
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Touch-N-Fill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236680030823)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+