Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
Help me to choose a grinder
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help me to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
app6cxc

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58 V2
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 2:36pm
Subject: Help me to choose a grinder

Hello,
I currently own K30 Vario.
I am going to keep it and I want to buy a Conical grinder.
Trying to pick between K10 Fresh, K10 Pro Barista or Ceado e92.
If you used these grinder before please share your thoughts.

Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 3:25pm
Subject: Re: Help me to choose a grinder

app6cxc Said:

Hello,
I currently own K30 Vario. I am going to keep it and I want to buy a Conical grinder. Trying to pick between K10 Fresh, K10 Pro Barista or Ceado e92. If you used these grinder before please share your thoughts.

Posted May 16, 2014 link

I've used both Compaks and the Mahlkonig enough to have a very good idea of what's what with all three, and purchased an E92 in November which I use and love.  

The E92 and Fresh have nearly everything in common; but are very slightly different in the cup and some of their "use" aspects as well.  While I prefer the Ceado, I may have different priorities than you.  It may be more helpful if you could pose specific questions based on your intended use rather than me just nattering on.  

Compak is retiring the current K10 line in June (or so they say), and replacing it with slightly differing K10 E and F lines, each of which has multiple models which more or less mirror the current spectrum.  So, not only will there be New! and Improved! Compaks entering the retail stream, there may be discounts on what's about to be obsolete.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 12:03pm

I've had a Macap M7D for a week and a half now and would encourage you to add it to your list of possibilities. With the shot count at 82 probably 45 of those are mine. It's only a little bit louder than the K-30, and not nearly as messy. The specs on the site say 800 watts but the bottom label says 1000 watts. This is a serious grinder! Very solid and well built. I don't know if the honeymoon will ever end. I've only had to adjust the grind three times in the last week, and the burrs are still breaking in.

I can't compare it to the other conicals, but it was closely compared to the Robur in the "Beat the Robur" thread on H-B. I still don't understand how Chris' sells them for $1500 with comparable grinders going for so much more.

I only wish Rich could get his hands on one for a bit for comparisons, as it seems it's the only one he hasn't used. If I ever head down your way Rich I just may lug it along and stop in :)

Ron
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 6:17am

CoffeeRon Said:

I only wish Rich could get his hands on one for a bit for comparisons, as it seems it's the only one he hasn't used. If I ever head down your way Rich I just may lug it along and stop in :)

Posted May 17, 2014 link

Hi Ron,

Of course you're welcome here anytime, with or without your grinder.  We'd love to have you.  

Because there are so many physical similarities, I have little doubt your M7D will be a lot more like the Ceado, Compak and Mazzer big burr conicals than different.  But "little doubt" isn't the same thing as dialing it in, and tasting -- by the spoonful ;) -- a couple of dozen shots.      

Speaking of which, if anyone in SoCal wants to go through espresso grinder testing/tasting (including "dialing-in" and espresso lessons if you want them) for any grinder I don't know very well... I'm open and will provide the beans, and -- if you like -- my coffee room.    

Since I love meeting other coffee people as well as learning about equipment, it would be a favor to me.

Rich
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat May 24, 2014, 6:21pm

boar_d_laze Said:

Hi Ron,

Of course you're welcome here anytime, with or without your grinder.  We'd love to have you.  

Because there are so many physical similarities, I have little doubt your M7D will be a lot more like the Ceado, Compak and Mazzer big burr conicals than different.  But "little doubt" isn't the same thing as dialing it in, and tasting -- by the spoonful ;) -- a couple of dozen shots.      

Speaking of which, if anyone in SoCal wants to go through espresso grinder testing/tasting (including "dialing-in" and espresso lessons if you want them) for any grinder I don't know very well... I'm open and will provide the beans, and -- if you like -- my coffee room.    

Since I love meeting other coffee people as well as learning about equipment, it would be a favor to me.

Rich

Posted May 19, 2014 link

Thanks for that Rich, would love to take a trip down your way sometime. Used to live in San Diego in the Navy and miss the sunshine!

Haven't been on much lately- house hunting :P

Hows the grinder hunt going Ray? There's a Wega rebadged K-10 in the BST right now that's going to make someone a heck of a grinder at a really good price!
cosminlife

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jun 2, 2014, 2:17pm

MACAP M7D , 1310$ is very good. I wanted to shrink the price but can not...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > Help me to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264980077744)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+