Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Questions and Answers
carbonate hardness titrations - which would you trust?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > carbonate...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 26, 2014, 8:01pm
Subject: carbonate hardness titrations - which would you trust?

So, I've often touted the benefits of my API GH/KH test kit. I just plumbed in my machine, and I installed a Mavea filter I picked up from CCS. I came with it's own KH titration kit. The filter has a table telling the user where to set the bypass percentage, based in KH. Unfortunately, the two titrations give me very different results. I got 12 grains on the API kit, and only 7 grains with the Mavea kit. For 12 grains, you're supposed to set the bypass at 30%, but at 7 grains it's 60%!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 5:20pm
Subject: Re: carbonate hardness titrations - which would you trust?

I would think that the kit provided with the filter would be best to use since hopefully they have tested against this kit and not the API kit.  You could either do that, or split the difference, but I really don't know which one would be more accurate, or correspond closest to Mavea's guidance.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Tue May 27, 2014, 6:31pm

Thanks Chris,

that's about what I was thinking too - even the part about splitting the difference. In the end though, I decided to go with the Mavea kit results, and adjust the bypass accordingly. I just wondered though about the possibility the API kit was more accurate, because people's aquarium life relies on it...and the Mavea kit's just for drinking water. What shocks me the most is how big the discrepancy is. The techs at CCS also agreed it's probably best to go with the Mavea kit, so I'll probably just drop the worry now. Of course, that'll mean dumping the rest of my API kit and no longer recommending it...eh, maybe I'll run another sample or two from the same faucet using both kits...just to make sure there wasn't something funky going on.

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 6:37am

Update:

Since my plumbing to the coffee bar was brand new, and I've now run several gallons of water through it, I decided to draw another sample from the faucet and retest with both kits. I drew 300ml into a Pyrex pitcher, then scooped out the requisite 5ml aliquots for testing. I repeated this 4 times with each kit to check consistency - which was quite satisfactory.  I noticed two things. First off, the Mavea kit no longer read only 7 grains KH, but instead, read between 10 and 11 grains. API kit showed 12-13. Second, in checking the tables from both kits, the corresponding ppm charts showed nearly identical readings for the two samples.  I can only conclude this is due to differing drop sizes from the two kits chemical droppers.  Anyhow, it's quite promising, in that the API kit is not at all faulty, and being how cheap it is and how easy it is to acquire one, it is still a great investment for the home enthusiast.

During this process, I contacted Mavea. I've found their service to be excellent. The person who replied to me, was not only quickly responsive, but he was also very polite and knowledgeable. He started by instructing me to check the kit expiration dates.  It was a step I hadn't considered...and no one else suggested. He also had me check the outflow from the filter, by grabbing a sample from the flush line, and told me what to expect, and how long to wait until I should get equilibrium in the filter from the new bypass setting.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Q and A > carbonate...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213671922684)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+