Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Coffee Italia Australia??
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Coffee Italia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
elcafesolo
elcafesolo
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: H:Dalla Corte Mini/La Maz...
Grinder: Eureka MDL Con, Casadio...
Vac Pot: Yama, Santos, Cona
Drip: Prefer my vaccy's
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009, 4:11am
Subject: Coffee Italia Australia??

Hi there CGer's Just wondering if anybody here has dealt with the company Coffee Italia.
I have seen an item I would like to purchase, but the site looks rather dodgy and cheap. The link is http://www.coffeeitalia.com.au/index.php
Anybody?
 View Profile Link to this post
Rancilio

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Back to Basics Popcorn...
Posted Thu Aug 13, 2009, 6:55am
Subject: Re: Coffee Italia??

In my opinion it's hard to tell by a poorly constructed website with uncorrect english language. They have a contact phone number for Australia, it might be worthed to call and get the feeling, unless someone here will give you an answer to your question.
Mr.T
elcafesolo
elcafesolo

Posted Fri Aug 14, 2009, 2:56am
Subject: Re: Coffee Italia??

Thanks for the response, but I have posted this here in the Australasian section for good reason.
Forgive me if I'm wrong and theres a New Jersey somewhere in Australasia, but the only one I know of is hanging on a hanger in Hallensteins.
coffeehorse
coffeehorse

Espresso: Bezzera Domus Galatea, VBM...
Grinder: BNZ MD-74x2, Macap M4, Anfim...
Drip: Ceramic Pourover from MCM
Posted Wed Aug 19, 2009, 11:26am
Subject: Re: Coffee Italia Australia??

I'm also looking at a product from there (thanks for the heads up luca), but I suspect they're italy-based global retailers.

cheers,

John
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
elcafesolo
elcafesolo

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009, 1:11am

Just as an update, I have tried to call the company in Australia several times during working hours with no response.
Unless they also adhere to the Italian holidays, I'm beginning to doubt the reliability of the company.
Also the listed physical address seems to belong to a Piano warehouse. Pity because they have possibly the best price on a professional conical grinder I have seen anywhere.
potisteve

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009, 1:25pm

I have called several times for help.  I've spoken with a Donna and  a Greg.  They prefer email but they are real.  they're also starting to sell parts and when I complained about the bid price not working I was told that a new website wass coming soon.  That was 2 weeks ago.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
potisteve

Posted Thu Aug 20, 2009, 1:27pm

I have called several times for help.  I've spoken with a Donna and  a Greg.  They prefer email but they are real.  they're also starting to sell parts and when I complained about the bid price not working I was told that a new website wass coming soon.  That was 2 weeks ago.  They don't have a showroom but work at the back of a pianoshop.  Not sure what the arrangement is but they are in Melbourne.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
elcafesolo
elcafesolo

Posted Fri Aug 21, 2009, 2:46am

Hey thanks for that, its always nice to talk to somebody rather than rely on an email as they really could be anywhere. The pianoshop part could be conceivable, will have to try again but unfortunately I've ordered a new grinder from Italy now for heaps more $$$$$$.
Thats one vote now for Caffe Italia.
noCoolName

Espresso: Briel Versatile Due
Grinder: KitchenAid Artisan (Proline)
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Posted Wed Apr 21, 2010, 12:03am

John, I think you are right about them being a global retailer. They seem to ship most goods direct from Italy. I'm from the UK my new espresso machine has just been dispatched from there. I don't see this as a problem given the lower price they offer but the main risk is for warranty repairs. The (UK) coffee italia website says that they have a license from Rancilio to sell to Europe so it should be possible to get repairs.

Looking at the Coffee Italia UK address on Google Street View it looks like it's in a very small industrial estate unit in London. This sounds similar to Australian piano shop address set up. I wouldn't be surprised if the Italian set up is similar. A lot of internet retailers are just fulfillment agents with the goods themselves being sent direct by the manufacturer. I'm not saying Coffee Italia do this but from the comments here indicate that they are certainly working on a shoe string budget outside of Italy - hence the lower prices I suspect.

I think that Coffee Italia should be more open about the shipment from Italy. The UK web site several tell tale statements that allude to this but nowhere is it clearly stated.
E61Shuttle
E61Shuttle
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Shuttle
Posted Thu May 20, 2010, 1:48am

What Coffee Italia appear to be doing is called grey importing. This means that they probably purchase from an agent, wholesaler or, very rarely, from the manufacturer. When a sale is made the goods are shipped directly from the agent/wholesaler/manufacturers warehouse to Coffee Italia's customer. The advantage to the grey importer is that it is not subject to the requirements a manufacturer may have of a traditional distributor. The main requirements avoided are  to purchase large volumes, invest in marketing and generally commit to a long term relationship with the manufacturer.

There are significant cost savings selling this way. The grey importer or Seller (in this case apparently Coffee Italia) doesn't incur finance costs to finance container loads of machinery, warehouse overheads to store and manage the stock and wages are significanly less than traditional distribution companies because less staff are required. All this means that the retail price should be closer to the wholesale price. A big win for the consumer.

What is often left out of the grey importer sales process, however, is bench testing or calibration of the machine prior to the customer receiving it and sometimes the warranty process may not be as simple as when a machine is purchased from a retailer supported by a distributor in Australia.

For example if a machine under warranty needs to be replaced and the grey importer doesn't hold stock then a new machine must be requested from the manufacturer. If the grey importer is dealing with a agent or wholesaler, and not directly with the manufacturer, then there may be a further delay.

I am not for one moment suggesting that this would be the case with Coffee Italia, merely, passing on my thoughts and experience.

Another disadvantage with purchasing from a grey importer is that, by definition, the business operation is lean. This may mean that someone may not be always available to answer the phone immediately or provide the level of customer service offered by a traditional distribution company or a retailer.

Having said all that it seems that these days we purchase more and more over the internet and look harder for the "best price"

I would suggest that if your purchase decision is dictated primarily by price then consider purchasing from a grey importer. If you are making a significant investment and expect the best possible service and after sales support then perhaps a traditional retailer or distributor would be the better option.

The E61 Espreso Machinery Co Ltd
www.e61.com.au
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Coffee Italia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.243498802185)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+