Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Speciality Coffee in Bangkok
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Speciality...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Koreanism

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 12:19pm
Subject: Speciality Coffee in Bangkok

Hi,

I will be travelling to Bangkok soon, and was wondering if there are any speciality coffee shops located in Central Bangkok. As I wish to have a taste of the coffee prepared in Bangkok, not in any special culture way but more of the coffee in the region of Bangkok.

Sincerely,

Ignatius
 View Profile Link to this post
boblam

Posted Thu Oct 6, 2011, 2:06pm
Subject: Re: Speciality Coffee in Bangkok

It was a while back though I posted some info below.
Bangkok Cafe Click Here (www.hkcoffee.com)
For Cafe: new ones that I've never been but worth looking are
  1.  Roast Coffee & Eatery: http://www.roastbkk.com/ In house roaster and Synesso Cyncra, got the coffee inspiration from the west coast
  2.  Bubble Cafe http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bubble-cafe/127605323954929 The owner previously worked for Kopplin's coffee, MN (Synesso + Clover) which I considered a good prospect.  Also, the winner of 2011 Thailand Grand Barista Championship and the 1st runner up of Australasia Grand Barista Championship (regional competition run by Danes of Australia) works here alternately with El Mello http://www.facebook.com/caffelmello (mentioned in the link above)

Bangkok Coffee bean Click Here (www.hkcoffee.com)
Also, I didn't mentioned Bangkok Espresso Lab in the post above.  It website is here http://happyespresso.net/  I find the place very promising but YMMV

Please take into consideration some issues below for coffee in Bangkok/Thailand
  • Seriously remember that Bangkok's traffic is always notorious
  • Indie cafes typically spread out, not in the best tourist area due to cost/name recognition, etc, making it harder to go, let alone cafe crawl in this city
  • Looking good with ton of coffee shops in the city?  It's just a mirage.  Quantity is not equal to quality and it is very salient in Bangkok or Thailand in particular.
  • Coffee is commonly roasted very dark to suit 'Iced' coffee.  Very common one ran into 'light' roast only to find out its "rolling 2nd crack" when they pulled the bean!!!
  • Robusta is common to cut cost (ie less coffee+dark roast for 'maximum' flavor in condensed milk sweetened iced coffee) and they don't feel anything putting robusta in the blend!!!  It was the way of life and still is for lots out there, even Indies.
DannyH
DannyH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Scala Butterfly, Gaggia...
Grinder: Mazzer mini E, Iberital
Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 1:20am

Thanks for the detailed review boblam.

I used to have my coffee at PNF near victory monument. The owner Sirada is a firend of mine and she roasts sells equipment and trains Baristas. To get there you get off BTS at Victory monument or at PhyaThai, and it is basically half way between those BTS stations.

I was in Bangkok for a wedding and PNF was closed because it was Sunday, so I went in serach of Roast. If you are travelling by BTS you get off at Thonglo station and then get a motorbike taxi up Soi 55 or Taxi to Thonglo 13 as it is probably a bit far to walk.

Roast is an impressive cafe / wine shop, definitely higher end than I was expecting. They have a Geisen Roaster and Synesso 2 group machine as suggested. The owner was not there but i chatted with his staff and took a couple of photos. The coffee was good but certainly expensive by Thai standards...110 baht or about $3.60...normally a latte is anywhere between 50-80 baht. But as I was i need of a good coffee I didnít mind.

Specialty coffee is on the rise in Thailand especially in Bangkok and Chiangmai...hopefully my soon to be opened cafe in Phuket will contribute to an upward trend there as well.

DannyH: IMG_2147.JPG
(Click for larger image)
DannyH
DannyH

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 1:24am

Another photo of Roast

DannyH: IMG_2149-3.JPG
(Click for larger image)
boblam

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 4:28am

DannyH: Thank you very much for the detail writeup.

Just wonder you've noticed the roast style of coffee at Roast vs. P&F.  I was told Roast is more of an Indie style while P&F that I had before and found it to be more traditional/italian style.

Please put up the address and things on your cafe when you're ready... :)
DannyH
DannyH

Posted Tue Dec 20, 2011, 5:12am

PNF have developed their signature blend through an experienced local roaster over a period of years. The espresso blend has a base of Thai coffee and I think Brasil and maybe one other South American. It is cost effective to use Thai coffee due to the 90% tax on imported coffees. I think Roast is brand new and I dont think the owner has been roasting for long. Just looking at the place you can see he is not short of money and has the best equipment money can buy. His blend is composed of 5 imported coffees so does not have the charateristic flavor of Thai coffee that i am used to having lived here for 3 years. My feeling was that he may have overdone it with the blend introducing too may different bean types. The differences in flavor are such that I am not really able to comment on roast style.

My cafe will be at Kalim beach outside of Patong. I will post information as we get closer to opening ;-)
jasstiv

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 7, 2012, 4:54am

before 2 months I was gone Bangkok and i visited coffee roaster.It was beautiful,but its place very small area.

lost friends
slysamonte
slysamonte
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM Domobar Super 2b, VBM...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Syphon, Aeropress?
Drip: V60, Woodneck, Melita types,...
Roaster: Hottop, Imex, Princess, hair...
Posted Thu Jan 19, 2012, 12:34am

I've been going back and forth to BKK (my wife is Thai:) ) and have had to drink Bluecup unfortunately when not bringing beans with me. bkk espresso lab was on my list to visit but their shop is still closed.

I'll be heading to Bangkok this CNY to do a tour of these Cafes and hopefully more. K2 and Bluekoff have cafe's at their retail locations both selling a local blend. Bluekoff has a Synesso and a Kees at their shop! There are a lot of small espresso kiosks littered through out the city.

Will report back to you guys after my trip with more info.
DannyH
DannyH

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 9:38am

boblam Said:

DannyH: Thank you very much for the detail writeup.

Just wonder you've noticed the roast style of coffee at Roast vs. P&F.  I was told Roast is more of an Indie style while P&F that I had before and found it to be more traditional/italian style.

Please put up the address and things on your cafe when you're ready... :)

Posted December 20, 2011 link

Well finally I have opened a cafe in Phuket...its in Kamala on the West Coast and the name is Garage Cafe. Any CG's travelling to Phuket please let me know and I can give directions :)
SpeedVelo

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2012, 10:42am

Thanks for all these Tipps you guys. On my next holidays in Bangkok, i will lookout for some good coffee in Bangkok. :)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Speciality...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.291728973389)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+