Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Cheap Illy Knockoff Espresso Cups (Melbourne)
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Cheap Illy...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 4:53am
Subject: Cheap Illy Knockoff Espresso Cups (Melbourne)

Just to let y'all know that the cups pictured are Maxwell Williams brand and quite widely available.  I paid $3.50 per cup/saucer pair (they won't sell just the cups!) at Matchbox.

They look like the iconic illy cups, but are lighter - they weigh ~100g, which is still pretty good.  The handles are also different; whereas the illy cups just have the small ring, the MW cups have a slightly larger handle that is scalloped in.  They hold ~65-70mL and are a fantastic shape for macchiato art (scroll down).

Cheers,

Luca

Luca: Illy Knockoff.JPG
(Click for larger image)

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Framey

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Diadema Jnr, Linea 2AV
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Roaster: Home made drum roaster
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 5:16am
Subject: Re: Cheap Illy Knockoff Espresso Cups (Melbourne)

Good find. Any idea if Maxwell Williams make a cappuccino sized version?
 View Profile Link to this post
jackandthebean

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 3+4 Group Linea, Vibiemme
Grinder: Mazzer Robur, Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario, Bodum
Drip: Single Cup Monmouth
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 5:29am

mooshu
can you pick up some more?
and send it up to sydney?
ill love you long time :)

2007 World Latte Art Champion

Jack and the Bean
www.jackandthebean.com
Yann
Yann
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Mazzer Kony-E
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 4:28pm

Heck, are these a knock-off or what?  I guess if they're selling in AU, they're probably selling in NZ as well.  

Would be interesting to see what they were like, though I've got too many illy cups that I don't use anyway.  

Curious though, I mean, isn't the Matteo Thun cup shape copyrighted or something in some way?  It'd be interesting to see whether they had cap cups, and if they were the same as the illy cap cups.

Strange really :)

yann
TonyJ

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 4:52pm

Yeh.......dont bother!
I have purchased them.........they are not ar heavy as the Illy or any of the italian made espresso cups, and hence do not hold the heat as well!

The enamel surfacing is quite poor, and will scratch quite easily. Everyone bags ILLY but wants their cups??????

Anyway back to my story..........after the enamel scours, it stains easily.
Look ok, but are very poor quality.
If you go to Hotel Agencies in Nicholson Street, you buy the same ones for cheaper than the department stores.

The best cups are the Italian made fully ceraminc ones that are used in Caffess in Italy...................dimatasse standard, boil proof.......as I warm my cups with boiling water prior to making espresso....................and are extremely temperature stable due to their weight!

Coffee Company in Carlisle Street Balaclava sells them for $5.00 each, and they will last forever because they are commercial grade.

Sorry....................but Maxwell Williams......................cheap and YUK! But they are ok if you want to fool yourself and your friends. If you want Illy cups, buy them..........the quality difference between the chinese and the Italian materials is incredible, and you will not have to buy any other cups for the rest of your life!
Although I have been accused of being an espresso snob!

Cheers
fad
fad
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Grimac La Uno, Isomac...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ. Cunill...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: SwissGold
Roaster: Ron Kyle BBQ Drum,...
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 5:30pm

jackandthebean Said:

mooshu
can you pick up some more?
and send it up to sydney?
ill love you long time :)

Posted September 20, 2004 link

Why would you want to go to the bother of shipping Maxwell & Williams stuff up from Melbourne? There are lots of Sydney places that sell it.

Victoria's Basement, Peters of Kensington, Reject China Ship Birkenhead Pt, possibly McCarthy's at Stanmore as well.

BTW places like McCarthy's, Crocker's in Auburn and Goldstein near Toby's Estate are good places to browse. Which explains why I've got a whole drawer full of individual espresso cups, all different ;)

Cheers

Paul Haddon
Sydney, Aus
Yann
Yann

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 5:49pm

I don't think I've ever purchased any Maxwell & Williams stuff.  And really, come to think of it, if I did buy any, I probably wouldn't use them.  I have a few sets of Ancap espresso cups stuff which sit in their boxes, as well as illy stuff.  

I tend to use IPA Milano for flat whites, ACF Tulip shaped cups for macchiato type stuff, then illy cups for espresso if I ever drink it.  All these cups have been really excellent, especially with their heft, and heat retentiveness.

Hmm, I can't quite remember the topic of this post now!  :|

I mean, when you think about it though, how many cups do you own, as opposed to how many you use?  I can probably say I have over a hundred cups (probably closer to 150), and actually only use about...  hmm, 15-20 at most?

y :)
jackandthebean

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 3+4 Group Linea, Vibiemme
Grinder: Mazzer Robur, Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario, Bodum
Drip: Single Cup Monmouth
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 8:01pm

fad Said:

Why would you want to go to the bother of shipping Maxwell & Williams stuff up from Melbourne? There are lots of Sydney places that sell it.

Victoria's Basement, Peters of Kensington, Reject China Ship Birkenhead Pt, possibly McCarthy's at Stanmore as well.

BTW places like McCarthy's, Crocker's in Auburn and Goldstein near Toby's Estate are good places to browse. Which explains why I've got a whole drawer full of individual espresso cups, all different ;)

Cheers

Paul Haddon
Sydney, Aus

been to all of them
couldnt find them, i need decent cups as well (not saying they are but is there somewhere i can get commercial quality IE heavy..)
mmmmmm

2007 World Latte Art Champion

Jack and the Bean
www.jackandthebean.com
Yann
Yann

Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 8:42pm

A lot of the cafes in NZ use ACF cups.  Not sure what they use in AU, but the ACF stuff is available here, and relatively cheaply.  They're pretty solid, and are really commercial grade cups.  My IPA cups are probably a bit more sturdy than they are, but definitely, ACF are very good for the price.  I think anyhow.

What are the common cups used in AU?
short_black
short_black

Espresso: La Cim Jun S1
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Iberital
Roaster: 1/4 share broken(;-() Imex
Posted Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:24pm

Yann Said:

I tend to use IPA Milano for flat whites, ACF Tulip shaped cups for macchiato type stuff, then illy cups for espresso if I ever drink it.  All these cups have been really excellent, especially with their heft, and heat retentiveness.
y :)

I really like the looks of the IPA porcelain cups - Anyone know if/where you can get them in OZ?
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Cheap Illy...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292567968369)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+