Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Australia, New Zealand and Asia
Attn: All Wega Mininova owners, check your pressure!
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Attn: All Wega...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mininova
Mininova
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1 Gr. Diadema "Electronica"
Grinder: Anfim Super Lusso
Roaster: Fetish Coffee
Posted Wed Oct 27, 2004, 3:58pm
Subject: Attn: All Wega Mininova owners, check your pressure!

For months I have been struggling to consistently reach nirvana for each espresso I pulled. My results were mostly good (sometimes great) but I always felt there was still room for improvement.

I experimented with the pressurestat, grind & tamp and even plumbed in the machine to a double filtered water supply (yes I did include a regulator adjusted to 10psi) but something was still missing.....

So a few days ago I constructed a pressure gauge using a high quality oil filled pressure gauge screwed into one of my group handles and measured the pressure. I was shocked to see it climb all the way to the 10bar stop point (unfortunately the gauge only reads to 10bar so who knows what the pressure was). I adjusted the pressure down to about 8.8bar and ran a few shots. The improvement was incredible! Thinking this increase in pressure was caused by plumb in I tested another Mininova which uses a static water supply (pourover) and got the same result over 10bar.

If you haven't checked your pump pressure then do yourself a favour and have it checked. It is now almost impossible (ok slight exaggeration) to run a bad shot and each one is as good as the last. So good in fact that I no longer require sugar in my espresso. Nirvana achieved!

Regards
Doug.
 View Profile Link to this post
Skarsnik
Skarsnik
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Posted Thu Oct 28, 2004, 11:00pm
Subject: Re: Attn: All Wega Mininova owners, check your pressure!

Mininova Said:

So a few days ago I constructed a pressure gauge using a high quality oil filled pressure gauge screwed into one of my group handles and measured the pressure. I was shocked to see it climb all the way to the 10bar stop point (unfortunately the gauge only reads to 10bar so who knows what the pressure was). I adjusted the pressure down to about 8.8bar and ran a few shots. The improvement was incredible! Thinking this increase in pressure was caused by plumb in I tested another Mininova which uses a static water supply (pourover) and got the same result over 10bar.

Posted October 27, 2004 link

I don't think it says much for the suppliers that are selling the machines.

Skars
OzBean

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Roaster: Wishlist = iRoast
Posted Thu Oct 28, 2004, 11:31pm

I've been putting off doing this on my Silvia but time is near ...

I was intending to place pressure gauge on steam wand and keep it open during shot. Then get a pressure relief valve washer and add it to the existing one (if pressure high) ... measure again ... etc etc ....sand washer down reinsert etc etc.

Why is it we do the easy mods first !! ?? (smile)

Anthony
strugs
strugs

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Thu Oct 28, 2004, 11:37pm

Skarsnik Said:

I don't think it says much for the suppliers that are selling the machines.

Skars

Posted October 28, 2004 link

My machine was set up properly at 9 bar when it arrived.  The interesting thing about the internals of my machine is that the bypass from the OPV goes back to the main water supply immediately before the pump.  Most other machines route the bypass to the drip tray.  Is this a feature of all other Wega machines?

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
syd
syd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Sunbeam EM6910
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E
Roaster: Many
Posted Sat Nov 20, 2004, 7:09pm

strugs Said:

My machine was set up properly at 9 bar when it arrived.

Posted October 28, 2004 link

Hey Sean, I thought you said that yours was set up too high at 15bar in an earlier thread? "Re: Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines".

Thanks to MiniNova who lent me his pressure gauge yesterday I found out that my Lyra was also set super-high. I'm experimenting now with a lower setting somwhere between 9-10bar.
strugs
strugs

Espresso: Vincent Wega (Wega Lyra)
Grinder: Jules (Mazzer Mini)
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-5
Drip: Tray
Roaster: 49th and/or Intelly
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 12:24am

syd Said:

Hey Sean, I thought you said that yours was set up too high at 15bar in an earlier thread? "Re: Adjusting vibe pump pressure on HX machines".

Thanks to Doug who lent me his pressure gauge yesterday I found out that my Lyra was also set super-high. I'm experimenting now with a lower setting somwhere between 9-10bar.

Posted November 20, 2004 link

Well - to make a long story short, when I first took the top off the machine, I marked all of the the initial settings using a felt pen.  I monkeyed around with the pressure valve several times (without any clue as to what I was doing) before trying the runoff method mentioned in that article.  Several months after investing in the proper pressure guage and setting it up at 9 bar, I noticed that the felt pen marks almost lined up as per my initial setting.  The 15 bar setting that I thought was how it was originally set up was actually after my first attempts at messing around with it.

Lesson learned - don't mess with default settings unless you know what you are doing (but what fun would that be?).

- Sean
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
syd
syd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Sunbeam EM6910
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E
Roaster: Many
Posted Sun Nov 21, 2004, 1:49am

I marked my settings too, just in case, but mine like MiniNova's were really high. I needed about 1.3 turns anti-clockwise to get it down to 9bar. I'm going to be interested to see how this all plays out in the next week or so.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Australasia > Attn: All Wega...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301394939423)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+