Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Decent espresso in Ottawa?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
lance

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 12, 2006, 12:39am
Subject: Re: Decent espresso in Ottawa?

I went to downtown library to get a book and just find that the coffee shop in library was totally changed.  They had a small little Rancilio espresso machine.  Well, I wasn't brave enough to try their espresso yet but I did try their cappuccino.  Honestly speaking, I never try anything like this before.   Really good.  If I go again, definitely I will try their espresso.

Lance
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeestork

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium Plus
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Fri Oct 8, 2010, 7:33am

Thought to resurrect this thread to see if we can get any up to date information from the Otttawa crowd.

Going to Ottawa for Thanksgiving and planning on doing a mini cafe tour.  Based on searches, my planned stops are a Bridgehead, Cafe Delices, and Morning Owl.  Any other new recommendations?  Thank you.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeestork

Posted Thu Oct 21, 2010, 5:35am

Didn't make it to all 3 places, as 2 were closed on Saturday afternoon ... boooooo . Did make it to Bridgehead and here are my thoughts.
RDarryl

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: Keurig Elite
Posted Thu Jan 26, 2012, 10:58am

Hi all - my first post on this forum and I'm reviving an old thread.

I'm living in Ottawa and trying to understand which roasters are open in 2012 in the Eastern Ontario area that sell online. After searching around I have found the following:

Equator.ca (Almonte, ON)
cafedejoel.ca (Rockland, ON)

I have found some mention of Francescos but the website doesn't appear to be working. Are they still in business?

There are also others in Southern Ontario like greenbeanery.ca but I'd like to try some up this way if there are any quality ones anyone can recommend. I couldn't find much information about Joel's but lots of info on Equator.

I'm interested in whole beans for espresso.

Thanks for any help!

-Darryl
alex

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Super HX
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 8:52pm

Darryl,

From what i hear its almost impossible to find good fresh beans in the Ottawa area on a regular basis. Im from there but live in Toronto, but do visit quite a bit and im always disappointed. Equator roasts their espresso very dark. I was given a bag once and was very disappointed, ashy burnt, just gross. Francescos isnt better, no roast date, old beans usually and over roasted. I did hear some good things from Happy Goat http://www.happygoat.ca  I would suggest ordering from a bigger roaster in Canada like 49th Parallel, Transcend or Social coffee company. I know Social has free shipping when you order 2 bags. I do that occasionally and put tape on the second bags one way valve and put it in the freezer until i need it, pull it out to defrost. Its almost as fresh as the day it went in.
Ottawa really needs a good coffee shop that brings in fresh beans on a weekly basis, like most high end shops in Toronto do.

good luck! and happy brewing!
coffeestork

Posted Mon Jan 30, 2012, 6:43pm

I usually visit  Ottawa from Toronto a few times a year, and I am always curious form various comments posted on here.  At Christmas, I checked out Happy Goat and was very disappointed in the darkly roasted, burnt, flat Babbae's Blend.  In terms of higher quality beans, what I know is that Intelli is available at Cafe Delices downtown and Grace in the Kitchen in Kanata.  My second choice would be to try to get Morola or Morning Owl to order you something nice from JJBeans (not a huge fan of their organic).  Otherwise, Bridgehead's blend is passable.  Of course, the various mail order options are also highly recommended as you can read about many of them on my blog.  Enjoy ...
QuestForCrema
QuestForCrema
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rocky MD, Kyocera CM-50
Drip: Krupps (rarely used)
Posted Tue Feb 21, 2012, 5:57pm

coffeestork Said:

In terms of higher quality beans, what I know is that Intelli is available at Cafe Delices downtown and Grace in the Kitchen in Kanata.

Posted January 30, 2012 link

I just wanted to add the Grace in the Kitchen also stocks 49th Parallel and Stumptown.
coffeestork

Posted Sat Aug 11, 2012, 1:18pm

As I am sure many know, Bridgehead has brought their roasting in-house with the opening of a large roastery in Little Italy.  Many friends emailed me positive comments, and I had the pleasure of trying a few of their coffees.  I was really pleasantly impressed with their first iteration of their espresso blend.  I found it to have a great floral, fruity, fresh baking nose.  The shot was coming though with great balance of fruit acidity on dark chocolate and some nice dry cocoa sweetness at the end that lingers with a nice after taste.  I think Ottawa does now have a locally roasted option that can now be compared with some of Toronto's best.  Who knows, maybe with time, I will be comparing with some of the Western Canadian roasters ...
ecelis

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 4:26am

I am now visiting Ottawa and trying hard to avoid Star..s. visited Planet Coffee in the Market area and was so disappointed I almost thought that I would have to drink tea while spending this week in this beautiful City. Anyway, I thought I would walk a couple of blocks to try Bridgehead and needless to say I was very impressed by the cap I just had. Nice taste, art, microform. No need for sugar to fend out stale or bitter coffee. It's good to know that Ottawans have a decent place to drink coffee.
Clark

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Synesso
Grinder: Robur-e/Anfim
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 2:29pm

Esteban, I'm glad you enjoyed your coffee!

I wanted to share with folks here that Illume Espresso is supposed to open this weekend on Richmond just East of Island Park.  They've been working hard on this project for quite a while and will likely be pulling magnificent shots from the get go!
showing page 7 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Decent espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.234078168869)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+