Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Where to get good coffee to brew at home?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Where to get...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
huntantr

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Sep 19, 2012, 5:27am
Subject: Where to get good coffee to brew at home?

I'm going to start off by saying that I am not a coffee drinker, but by wife is, and I would like to buy her some good coffee to brew at home. Instead of her going to the local Tim Horton's, I want to get her some coffee that she would rather brew then drive down to the corner.

I was hoping that this coffee community would be able to point me in the right direction. I work the Burlington, ON area so if you have any recommendations on coffee to buy that would be great.

Thanks,
Anthony
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 8:41am
Subject: Re: Where to get good coffee to brew at home?

I would consider ordering online from Bridgehead.  Amazing coffee! Based in Buffalo or think about buying green and roasting.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
greggb
greggb
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Selenia
Grinder: Rocky; Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama SY5
Drip: Aeropress; Melitta; Brikka
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Sep 23, 2012, 2:07pm

Anthony,
           First a couple of words of caution... Just because your wife likes Tim Horton's, don't assume that she will like "good" coffee. This is especially true for those that take their coffee double-double. I like to say (only half tongue in cheek) that Timmy's double-double is for people that don't actually like the taste of coffee. The other problem you may run into is the brewing process... it is quite easy to make good coffee taste bad. So, first of all, you have to decide how much you want to throw your self (and/or your wife) into this.

Now that I have that out of the way... I would recommend that you start out small. Buy a Melita single cup brewer and some #2 filters. You will find instruction on pour-over brewing on this site and many others. (you will also notice the variances in the instructions). The next step is to actually find some fresh coffee. You need to avoid the big coffee chains and supermarkets. A quick Google should find a coffee roaster convenient for you. (I believe there is a Balzac's in Kitchener and another roastery in Dundas) You want to buy as little as they will sell you, 1/2 or 1/4 of a pound and have them grind it for pour-over. [I should note that, advising someone to have coffee ground at the store, is heresy. Ground coffee will start to loose it's flavour in minutes. But, for your purposes, you should be ok for a day or two.]

Then experiment - see if you can make coffee your wife likes. Since she is used to Timmy's, she may not like "strong" coffee. Don't try to brew week coffee - it is better to brew it strong (in terms of coffee to water ratio) then add hot water to dilute it.

Once you have established that you can make coffee that you wife prefers to Timmy's, then you can embark on the journey of buying a good grinder and brewing equipment.

Hope you found some of this useful. Good Luck...

Gregg.
fredk01

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Wed Sep 26, 2012, 6:50pm

Detour Coffee at 41 King St W in Dundas.  They have a cafe where your wife can try out the coffee before you buy.
huntantr

Posted Thu Sep 27, 2012, 6:41am

Thanks for the information everyone. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
Redbone
Redbone

Espresso: Brasilia cappuccino del-1
Grinder: Brasilia BFD flat burr...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 7:57am

You can also consider Reunionislandcoffee in Oakville or Javaworks & Muldoons own in Mississauga. Best to experiment with grind, amounts & filtered water etc before making final coffee judgements. I went through similar with my wife, now she won't go back. I use a bonavita brewer with excellent results.
altiplano

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 5:05pm
Subject: Social in Richmond Hill is a good roaster too, always and they ship free if you

Social in Richmond Hill is a good roaster too, it always comes freshly roasted and if you drink enough to order 2 bags at a time shipping is free...
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Where to get...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192882061005)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+