Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Coffee in Hamilton, ON?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Coffee in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
zane9

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 20, 2012, 2:14pm
Subject: Re: Coffee in Hamilton, ON?

Anyone been to the Speakeasy Cafe on Ferguson North? It's open on the weekends only.
 View Profile Link to this post
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Mon Jun 25, 2012, 3:01pm

Have you ever seen speakeasy cafe ? It's his house.....and it is not in a pretty area.
piuforte
piuforte

Espresso: Dalla Corte mini, Quickmill...
Grinder: MAHLKÖNIG K-30 Vario,...
Vac Pot: No
Drip: NO
Roaster: No
Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 6:04am

have you visited carvalhocoffee.ca?

Gabriel imports coffee from the family plantation. Very passionate about coffee. Just off of Bronte at the south service road.
bigfatcat

Posted Wed Jun 27, 2012, 11:04am

zane9 Said:

Anyone been to the Speakeasy Cafe on Ferguson North? It's open on the weekends only.

Posted June 20, 2012 link

Hey, thanks for posting this! I live downtown and am definitely going to check this guy out sometime.

To the OP: Detour is the main roaster, and a lot of the cafes downtown pull Detour shots. Homegrown Hamilton (http://www.homegrownhamilton.com/) on King William just started roasting on site at their cafe/bar. I have yet to try their beans, though, so it's unclear if they know what they're doing.

Red Hill is the other local roaster, and they have a stall at the downtown Farmer's Market.
altiplano

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2012, 10:21pm

There is a new cafe at Ottawa and Cannon. They were just getting up and running when I visited but the vibe was good and there was promise...I liked it.

Domestique is a good spot just off the main strip in Dundas, I didn't recognize the beans, but they did right by my order and the staff was great, nice little patio out back and a comfy cafe... obviously serious cyclists going by the schwag... licensed too with suds on tap if you're feeling a different thirst in this heat...

I've been drinking a lot of Detour over the past year as it is so available in lots of spots in town and I really like their cafe... their espresso is consistent but the single origin products are a bit up and down - sometimes right on and sometimes lacking - maybe that's me or my equipment though, anyway worth checking out... I'd like to see them get sealed bags for their beans too.

I tried a spot on James or was it John a few weeks ago... name escapes me, maybe had something to do with a bird... anyway it is forgettable - no idea what they are doing and the detour beans were 2 or 3 months past roast date, meh.
zane9

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 5:26am

piuforte Said:

have you visited carvalhocoffee.ca?

Gabriel imports coffee from the family plantation. Very passionate about coffee. Just off of Bronte at the south service road.

Posted June 27, 2012 link

Love Carvalho. It would be great to see Gabriel's coffee in Hamilton.
zane9

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 5:28am

lost Said:

Have you ever seen speakeasy cafe ? It's his house.....and it is not in a pretty area.

Posted June 25, 2012 link

I dropped by Speakeasy on Saturday, but it was closed for the long weekend.  :-(

North Hamilton is an up-and-coming area, especially as you get closer to the harbour. Good for him to have the cafe attached to his house. Keeps the overhead low.
bigfatcat

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 11:36am

altiplano Said:

I tried a spot on James or was it John a few weeks ago... name escapes me, maybe had something to do with a bird... anyway it is forgettable - no idea what they are doing and the detour beans were 2 or 3 months past roast date, meh.

Posted July 1, 2012 link

Red Crow, by the hospital. My two experiences have been the same -- not great, and selling very old beans. There's a newer place down the street on James at Augusta, but haven't tried it yet.

Cake and Loaf at Dundurn+Aberdeen gets bagged Detour shipments every Thursday afternoon. You can also put in custom orders with them and pick them up there. It's convenient for finding fresh Detour without having to go to Dundas or pay for shipping.
RedCrowCoffee
RedCrowCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 5:21pm

Hmmm...

Just to set the facts straight....

1- our orders arrive each Thursday, just like all other Detour clients in the Hammer...

2- we order our coffee weekly! Often just making it to the next delivery date - the following Thursday, and occassionaly not... so, "stale coffee", I think not! Where you got the idea of old beans is something I'd like to know! Because they're the SAME beans, being delivered on the same schedule as every other Detour client!!

3- about 90%+ of our customers are repeat, they order brewed coffee, espressos, cappucinos, lattes and americanos - many are global travellers, and have experienced coffees (and espresso) across Canada and the world... they are not novice coffee drinkers! Yet they're repeat clients!!

4- I, myself spent the better part of the 90s on the West Coast - with several coffee tours to Seattle - and have been drinking espressos and espresso based drinks since the 70s, long before they became the "in thing", when many didn't even know what a cappucino was!  And I sample my product regulary!!

Lastly, we handcraft each and every espresso... we don't just push a button and let a machine do the work! Will there be some nuances in our drinks from barista to barista in our shop, you bet!  Will there be some nuances from time to time because of the roast or proportions of beans in a blend, you bet!  Will there be some nuances because to the palate of the taster, you bet!!

I'm more than proud to stand behind our product!!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
zane9

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2012, 5:26pm

bigfatcat Said:

. There's a newer place down the street on James at Augusta, but haven't tried it yet.

Posted July 3, 2012 link

On the weekend I popped into a place on James, south of Augusta, which has lots of roasted beans but none from local roasters (I asked).  I chatted to the owner,  who says the business has been there for 40 years! Can't remember the name of the place.

I went to that new place, on the east side of James north of Augusta. It's been open for 9 weeks. They have a great space in a lovely building, but the coffee is nothing special and the feel of the place was just a little too contrived. Looks like they use beans roasted in Italy. But the food looks good.

That part of town was completely empty of people on a Saturday afternoon.
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Coffee in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283055067062)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+