Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Kittel Coffee-Montreal
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Kittel...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
NeilK

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium with Eric S....
Grinder: LeLit PL53
Vac Pot: -
Drip: -
Roaster: i-Roast2
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 12:55pm
Subject: Kittel Coffee-Montreal

I had to share my first experience with this new company here in town.

I started reading about their espresso shortly after they opened this past summer.  A few of the local reputable shops in town have started using this coffee, so I was very excited when I found out a gourmet shop a block away from me stocked it.  I bundled up on a bitterly cold Montreal December afternoon and headed over to the shop.

Yup, they had several bags of the coffee I was seeking.  But roasted in September and October (i.e. at least two months old)!  There was one 2.25 kilo bag roasted in mid-November, but that was still three weeks old and who needs 2.25 kilos for himself?  Needless to say, I walked out without any coffee.  There was only a young girl at the cash, no signs of any management, so I didn't bother saying anything in the store.

On a whim, I wrote to the owner of Kittel, Guillaume.  Just to let him know one of his only local retailers was not doing justice to the coffee he is probably very proud of.  He's just getting started here in town so I thought it would help to encourage his accounts to stock fresh beans.  

I'd love to have a place a block away receiving fresh beans on a weekly basis rather than me having to take a metro to buy beans shipped in from Chicago, Santa Cruz, BC or even Toronto.  Carbon footprint and all that, plus it's better to support a local business and it's always nice to know the guy roasting your beans.

Well, he wrote me back thanking me profusely for bringing the matter to his attention.  He asked my permission to show the store owner my e-mail and explain the importance of fresh beans.  And then he offered to ship me a bag of his $25 a pound microlot!

This is a guy who knows the benefit of customer service.  I am not shilling for him as I have yet to try his coffee, but this initial contact left me very impressed.  

People rush to post here to complain about bad service, so I thought I'd post about excellent service!
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012, 1:00pm
Subject: Re: Kittel Coffee-Montreal

Great to hear Neil! {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BrazilGabriel
BrazilGabriel

Espresso: La Marzocco
Grinder: Versalab
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Diedrich
Posted Fri Dec 21, 2012, 11:04am

I heard he has good coffee !
But I have not visited yet.
Will do soon.

Cheers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
smico

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus IIIR, Olympia...
Grinder: Vario, Pharos
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Hottop B2 + HTC
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 9:05am

I had their espresso blend with Brazil-Peru-Tanzania in PQuoi Pas Espresso bar few months ago...  My favourite origins, great, powerful coffee...
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Feb 16, 2013, 9:14am

Bean Link (coffee + chocolate subscription service) included a Kittel Brazil in their Jan. monthly package. It was pretty good, but I found it hard to get basic info. on the coffee (how it was processed, growing region, etc.), and now I see Kittel's site is down for maintenance. Guess they're mostly focused on local sales at the moment! Enjoy.
robroc

Espresso: La Pavoni Puccino
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sat Apr 27, 2013, 8:29am

Great coffee, swell person. I discovered him when I was looking for a Baratza grinder. He sells them at his roasting workshop. He gave me a sample of his Cachoeira da Grama roast, and I became a loyal customer since.
coffeesykes
coffeesykes

Espresso: NUOVA SIMONELLI  Personal,...
Grinder: Ditting KFA 1203,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Paper, Aeropress, Vacumn...
Roaster: Ambex YM-2, Sonofresco...
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 8:21am

I emailed Guillaume last week hoping to get info on where to buy his coffee. Where in Montreal is it sold? I shut my roasters down and am soon will be looking for some espresso blends.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
psavoie

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno Pro PID
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon May 6, 2013, 11:17am

According to an article below from his facebook page, since his web site is not working.

http://mixeur.tv/actualite/de-banquier-a-torrefacteur

Café Névé, Flocon, Dispatch Coffee, Chez Boris, Arts Café, Alexis Le Gourmand, Restaurant Nouveau Palais et Tunnel Espresso Bar.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Kittel...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.21454000473)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+