Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Eastern Canada
Everyday Drinking
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Everyday...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
poopooegg

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 5:11pm
Subject: Everyday Drinking

Hi everyone,

I've been an avid coffee drinker for the past 4 months, it really started to become a serious hobby when my wife and I have our first child. We figured having the extra caffine will keep us going throughout the day. And that's when we started to venture into different types of coffee. I happen to work next door to Social Coffee & Co in Richmond Hill and I've been a frequent customer, at least once a week, to pick up a bag of freshly roasted beans. I make about 2 cups of coffee each day and after a week that's 17 cups and with the occasional friends and family visiting that could go up to about 25 cups of coffee every week.  

Anyways, to make the story short, if I continue this trend I could wrack up a good amount of money on coffee beans, each month I will spend at least 60 bucks on beans.  Is there other alternative to this hobby? I don't like supermarket beans as they seem over-roasted at times and lack of taste. If you are in similar situation, please share with me what you use for your everyday coffee beans.

Cheers,
Rick
 View Profile Link to this post
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 5:43pm
Subject: Re: Everyday Drinking

Your location limits my knowledge of good beans in bulk. You make drip? press? vac pot? Honestly, in the cold months when I can't roast my own I get five pound bags of Redbird espresso $51.00 including shipping, divide the beans into several separate bags and freeze. Don't know if you can find a similar deal where you are.

Of course, the reason I roast is that green beans are about 1/2 the price of roasted. Of course you have to commit your time and set up a roasting method. I use the cheapest which is pan roasting (iron frying pan with wooden spoon over a heat source) but that is not for everybody, to say the least.
poopooegg

Posted Tue Aug 20, 2013, 5:52pm

I mainly drink espresso (latte or caps) and press coffee.  But it really depends on the mood. I prefer to buy roasted beans in bulk locally as I don't think I'm ready to roast my own yet... :)
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 4:13am

I'd like to try some of their coffee, I live in Cambridge so I am not too far away.  There prices look alright for specialty coffee.  

Option 1:  Buy wholesale and freeze what you aren't using
           2: Buy green and roast yourself, wholesale green is even cheaper (close to 1/4 the price compared to roasted and can be stored for over 1 yr)
           3:  Order from another supplier that offers co-operative coffee which tends to be cheaper. Home roasting isn't hard but if your willing to dish out money on a home roaster it's pretty fool proof.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
poopooegg

Posted Wed Aug 21, 2013, 3:59pm

Looks like if I really want to save the expense I would have to learn to roast my own beans it seems.

Thanks!
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag

Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:14am

You figure out the money you spend each month of the coffee beans. IT means you want to make a saving for 60 bucks of beans. I think if you really want to save money from your expenses in coffee, there is nothing I can suggest but roast your own. You can buy coffee in bulk if possible and roast at home.

You can also grind your coffee very fine and it will go much further. Use only half of your normal amount of scoops to get same or even darker pot of coffee. Just make sure you use double filter in your drip coffee maker to avoid the grounds to get through.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:31am

If you wanna go cheap a popper will roast 1/4 lb nicely.  For a home roaster the Behmor 1600 is a great buy with up to 1 lb capacity.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Thu Aug 22, 2013, 4:43am

Don't give your friends the good stuff. I keep a jar of instant for visitors, with the exception of my brother who actually likes coffee.

At least in the UK, instant is all that people expect unless you can rustle up a Caramel Mocha Latte with sprinkles.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada East > Everyday...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196585178375)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+