Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Another Calgary coffee find
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Another Calgary...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Rockies

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: No thanks.  French press...
Roaster: Fresh Roast Plus 8
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2005, 5:23pm
Subject: Another Calgary coffee find

Well, not really Calgary.  But close.

A friend of mine who knows about my love for good espresso mentioned that a fellow he worked with owned a cafe.  A few tantalizing hints indicated that it was a place I should probably check out.

So off I go to Cochrane, to a nice little place in the mini-mall near the Safeway.  Java Jamboree.  

As I walked up to the counter, what did I spy?  Does that logo say Synesso???  Yep, three group Synesso.  Second one in Canada apparently.  First one I'd ever seen in person.  This bodes well.  

Ask for a shot, pretty good.  Better than say, Good Earth, not quite Big Mountain on a good day.  Meet the owner Les, really good guy.  He pulls me a latte.  From a different grinder.  Turns out he has Malabar Gold on for straight shots and Vivace Vita for milk drinks.  Yum.  Nicely textured milk and beautiful art.  Then I had another shot, you could tell the barista was really dialed in for this one.  Freaking amazing.  Good mouth feel, nice sweetness spreading to the back of the mouth.  Really characteristic of a well pulled shot of Malabar Gold.  I know it isn't everyone's bag, but MG is one of my favourite blends.

Decor was really well done, nice tables and chairs and a couple of comfy couches.  It was also a pretty big place, you feel like you have a nice amount of elbow room.  

All in all, worth my drive to the country.  I'll be back for sure.
 View Profile Link to this post
peacedog
peacedog

Espresso: Andreja Premium; Presso
Grinder: rancilio rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Yama HCA-5
Drip: Krups Moka Brew; Technivorm...
Roaster: behmor 1600; Toastess popper
Posted Sun Oct 30, 2005, 5:32pm
Subject: Re: Another Calgary coffee find

I will make a point of checking it out next time I am going through La Cocharana on the way to Canmore/Banff.

"Give me a rocks on the rocks - and put it in a dirty glass" - Cary Granite
coffeeactivist
coffeeactivist
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa A Leva...
Grinder: Macap M5, Starbucks Barista
Vac Pot: Yama 8cup, Bodum Presspot &...
Drip: Melitta Filter Cone
Roaster: Toastmaster Popper
Posted Mon Oct 31, 2005, 12:53am

Yeah, Java Jamboree is a good place.  Apparently Les is really into coffee.  My girlfriend and I went there a couple of weeks ago.  Nice place, pretty good coffee... definitely quite a bit better than most places here in the city.

Jason
http://coffeeactivist.wordpress.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
onemoreshot
onemoreshot
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus II
Grinder: Macap
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sun Nov 27, 2005, 9:11pm

I think its great to see a cafe' trying as hard as they are. This was my first visit since they got the Cyncra, I  had a Malabar espresso and a Vivace latte. The first shot off the Synesso was dumped, way too quick, nice to see it go into the drip tray. The second shot looked better and was quite good. I had higher expectations of the MG but, as they say, its not a shot for everyone and this was my first taste of the Malabar Gold. Not sure if I saw the full potential of the MG, I will have to make it back for another round. The latte on the other hand was fantastic! Lovely microfoam, velvety mouthfeel, beautiful smooth espresso, clean finish and absolutely in the top 10 lattes I have ever drank.

Certainly worth a visit.

www.shaundoreenevankeegan.blogspot.com/
latte_snobb

Posted Sat Dec 31, 2005, 4:32pm

The coffee at Java Jamboree is second to none! After having one of their latte's, nothing else even compares. We were in Seattle this past summer and visited Vivace. I believe these two cafes have drinks of similar quality. I love the Malabar Gold coffee, and have purchased some to brew at home. The espressos are smooth and wicked good. Love the latte art, and the overall feel of the cafe.
Way to go Java Jamboree!!!
Spandit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory G106 Lever...
Grinder: Rocky Rancilio
Posted Wed Jan 4, 2006, 5:45pm

Does anyone have the address for Java Jamboree so I can find it on a map? Getting espresso withdrawal...

www.justgiving.com/teamcreffield
There is no "x" in "espresso"
coffeeactivist
coffeeactivist
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa A Leva...
Grinder: Macap M5, Starbucks Barista
Vac Pot: Yama 8cup, Bodum Presspot &...
Drip: Melitta Filter Cone
Roaster: Toastmaster Popper
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006, 11:15am

Java Jamboree
312 5th Ave W
Cochrane, AB

Jason
http://coffeeactivist.wordpress.com
Spandit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory G106 Lever...
Grinder: Rocky Rancilio
Posted Thu Jan 5, 2006, 11:31am

Marvellous... I'll give them a try on my way to the slopes...

www.justgiving.com/teamcreffield
There is no "x" in "espresso"
GrantT
GrantT

Espresso: Elektra A3
Grinder: HG-One 71mm #002, Macap M4D
Posted Tue Aug 1, 2006, 11:17am

Just wanted to give "two thumbs up" for Les and Java Jamboree.  Make it a point to stop in there!

Stopped in on the way to Kimberly (Les was in), and I mentioned my love of good espresso and the challenges in finding it anywhere but at home.  He just gave me a big grin and pulled me a couple shots of espresso ON THE HOUSE so I could try them out.  You could tell he wanted them to be perfect for me - showing off his crema shots etc.

Afterwards, my wife and I sat outside and had a couple cappa's.  Les came out and chatted coffee/beans/machines for some time (I loved it, bored my wife a bit who gets too much of the same at home).  He brought out some fresh water for the dog too!  Talk about customer service.

Love the Malabar gold espresso...sweet - and the smoothest espresso I have ever had.  Bought some to take home.  Stopped in again on the way home and Les immediately poured me another Malabar espresso before I even ordered while I was in line (I insisted on paying for this one).  He responded by giving me some free drink coupons for the next time I was in town.

Grant

"Wake up and Smell the Coffee"
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Wed Aug 2, 2006, 5:56pm

I concur about the jamboree- Mrs Les (can't recall her name) did all the same for me, plied me with free shots (to try the malabar and the vivace side by side- I prefer the vivace actually). Her macchiatos are killer, she puts a little cream in the milk- stunning. I would say that Java Jamboree and Bumpy's are the two Cgy-area shops that could stand toe to toe with any in any other city. Too bad it's all the way in Cochrane, but it's a nice drive.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Another Calgary...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.240236997604)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+