Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Your favorite Espresso bean in Calgary?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Your favorite...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
Tangsta

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution Espresso
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Posted Sun May 27, 2007, 11:45am
Subject: Your favorite Espresso bean in Calgary?

From the 49th parallel thread:

John_Manzo Said:

So now in or near Calgary we can get Hines, Novo, Intelly, 49th, Vivace, and Josuma , as well as local small-batch from Big Mountain and the excellent new Mountain View Roasterie in Didsbury. Good times.

Posted May 26, 2007 link

I don't go through enough coffee to try them all... so which is your favorite?  Where can it be bought? and how much do you pay per lb?

I used to get my beans from the Roasterie before all these new choices cropped up, and kept buying there because it was convenient (i'm in the NW); but I recently picked up a 3/4 lb bag of Hines from Phil & Sebastian's and I'm loving it.  One thing though, at $12.90 per 3/4 lb, it costs close to 50% more than what I usually pay.  I'd like to say that it's worth every penny, but I figure there must be better value out there.  Comments?
 View Profile Link to this post
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Sun May 27, 2007, 4:17pm
Subject: Re: Your favorite Espresso bean in Calgary?

I like Hines OK, it's in my grinder now, but it's not my favourite. I'd like to try one of P&S's SOs for espresso (since that's all I drink); one beautiful thing about P&S is their half-pound bags (the have 3/4 and 1/2 pound bags) so you're not committed to a pound if you don't care for it.

Hines comes to about $17/lb, espresso cheaper than SO, and that's on the high side, but not ridiculous compared to other quality beans. Here's what I've found for espresso blends:

-Intelligentsia Black Cat from Communitea in Canmore is $15.95/lb; you do have to drive to Canmore but if you're going anyway, it's not like that's a horrible trip. I have to say that this is my favourite espresso- it's chocolatey and complex, with lots of warm spice, and is great on its own and in a cappo.
- Depending on where you buy it, Big Mountain is between $12/lb and $15/lb. You can get it from Co-op for $11.99,  but I worry about its freshness there since Wade, for some reason, does not put roast dates on his bags. But here's a suggestion: Wade delivers BM to his cafes within 4 days of roasting and if you can get THEIR supply you have a better guarantee of a recent roast. They sell pounds and smaller of BM espresso and a handful of other BM beans and blends at Purple Perk on 4th, and last time I went, it was $12/lb. Bumpy's sells BM for $14.95/lb but since they keep fairly little on the shelf, I'd hope it's fresher than at Co-op and that the markup is worth it, but who knows? Wade doesn't date his bags. Maybe he'll read this and start doing that.
- The 49th Parallel is $15.95/lb at Bumpy's. Now I did not check to see if Epic is less than Organic 49th which one might expect since Epic is $1 cheaper on the 49th website. I had an espresso with the Epic (I think) yesterday and it was superb, but then the BM espresso there is also superb.
- You can buy Vivace Vita and Josuma Monsooned Malabar at Java Jamboree in Cochrane, but I don't know what they charge. In any case, I'm sure it's cheaper than having it shipped from Seattle or SF.

Now I've tried some SO espressi over the last few months too- BM's Peru and Nicaragua, both ok but not something I'd make a habit, had a BM PNG at Bumpy's and did not like it at all (lemon-juice bright), but hit the jackpot with Ethiopian Sidamo- the one from BM is $17.95/lb at Cookbook Company Cooks (11th Ave SW by Paul Kuhn Gallery) was outstanding, but even better was a darker-roasted one, "Organic Ethiopian Sidamo" on their product list, from Mountain View Roasterie in Didsbury, www.mountainviewroasterie.com - these guys DATE THEIR BAGS unlike a certain other local small-batch roaster and the order I made was shipped the day after roast, $4.50 courier charge for up to 10 pounds to addresses in Calgary (or, obviously, the Didsbury area, and MVR is supplying to a few cafes in the Olds/Didsbury/Sundre area). Most coffees there are $14.95/lb. I also tried an "Italian Espresso" from them but wasn't as impressed- a little light for my tastes but it was far from bad; I just think I'd prefer their "viennese" full+ city "good morning espresso." That'll be my next order.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tangsta

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution Espresso
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Posted Tue May 29, 2007, 9:42pm

Wow, thanks for the very detailed reply!... I think I'll try Black Cat for my next lb, and perhaps BM after that depending on whether i can find a source where i know it's fresh.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Posted Tue May 29, 2007, 11:33pm

I wanted to say as a coda that I am right now enjoying an INCREDIBLE batch of Hines. I must have it dialed in perfectly because this bag is actually better than the Black Cat I just extolled. I actually prefer this to what I get at the market (at P&S's shop) because their beans are usually REALLY fresh, like 2 days old, and I find Hines much brighter than Black Cat and 48 hrs is not, for my taste, enough to mellow. But I am really digging this Hines now.

I bought a bag of 49th today, roasted on the 25th. I was wrong about something- they don't have the Epic Espresso, only the Organic, which is a different blend, but I'm eager to try it.

I'd guess that if you buy BM at any place that doesn't stock huge amounts of it, it'll be reasonably fresh, so I'd try Bumpy's or maybe Cookbook Co.
KeenBean
KeenBean

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu May 31, 2007, 1:01pm

John_Manzo Said:

I
- You can buy Vivace Vita and Josuma Monsooned Malabar at Java Jamboree in Cochrane, but I don't know what they charge. In any case, I'm sure it's cheaper than having it shipped from Seattle or SF.

Posted May 27, 2007 link

Great commentary furrycanuck -

I've been buying Malabar gold for a month and a bit from Les at Java Jamboree, and if my memory serves me correct, it's going for $18.00/lb.  I'm pretty happy with it, but am currently trying others (due to another great post from you directly) to broaden my tastes before I pick favorites, or pick up home roasting. :)

KeenBean
coffeeactivist
coffeeactivist
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Elektra Micro Casa A Leva...
Grinder: Macap M5, Starbucks Barista
Vac Pot: Yama 8cup, Bodum Presspot &...
Drip: Melitta Filter Cone
Roaster: Toastmaster Popper
Posted Fri Jun 1, 2007, 4:09pm

John_Manzo Said:

I bought a bag of 49th today, roasted on the 25th. I was wrong about something- they don't have the Epic Espresso, only the Organic, which is a different blend, but I'm eager to try it.

Posted May 29, 2007 link

I just wanted to mention that we (Bumpy's) have both the Organic and Epic espresso blends, we sold out of the Epic on saturday, but we have it in again.  We also have a variety of Single Origins and a Swiss Water Decaf all from 49th as well as the variety of Big Mountain that we usually have.

Jason
http://coffeeactivist.wordpress.com
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Posted Fri Jun 1, 2007, 8:52pm

Jason, are Epic and Organic different roasts (not just different blends)? I ask because John demo'd for me how close in appearance the Epic (I think) and the BM espresso were, and now that I've opened the bag of Organic, it looks much darker, exactly like Black Cat. It's excellent BTW.

In Portland now and the Ace Hotel's Stumptown has FOUR Clovers and TWO Mistrals! Hairbender is verrrrry nice too. The Ace is a damn cool hotel and because of our strong dollar everything here is ridiculously cheap all of a sudden.
KeenBean
KeenBean

Posted Thu Jun 14, 2007, 10:18pm

Well, I have finally tried the 49th Parallel beans... I bought me a bag of Epic, and all in all, it's not too bad.  I really don't think it's quite right for my palette...

I think next time I'm at Bumpy's, I'll have the Big Mountain instead.  Make sure it's not just me.  :)

What are others thoughts of the 49th blends?  It's (edit) quite nice as a straight shot, but I think I'd prefer either a Hines from P&S, or the Malabar gold from Java Jamboree.... both seem to have fuller bodied flavors, and also seem to work better into milk drinks for me.  Again, this is for my personal tastes only, and I do think if I drank less milk based drinks and more espresso, it would be a welcome addition to my palette's portfolio.  It just doesn't seem to have the right stuff for a milk based drink for me... not even for a cappo.

KeenBean
coffeeparadise

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: La Marzoco, La pavoni, La...
Grinder: Mazzer, Rossi
Drip: French Press
Posted Fri Jun 15, 2007, 11:53am

Hey Guys, Philip with Paradise Cafe and 49th Parallel here. I'd love to share with you how to maximize your experience with our espresso. With our Epic espresso, one of it's signatures is its heavy mouth feel/body and rich complexity in milk. We achieve this by dosing 19-21 grams depending on basket/machine combo, and pulling 1 1/2 to 2 ounces in around 25-27 seconds. We recommend 200-201 degrees F. Also, the coffee needs plenty
of head space. If you try this dose in a double basket you will not get as good of results due to the coffee pressing up on the screen and under/over extracting because of uneven water flow to the top of the coffee.

If it seems like your espresso' is coming out thin, or lacking in sweetness the culprit is most often that the coffee ether was allowed to oxidize from an open bag, or perhaps the temp is too high or low at the beginning of the extraction. (Assuming the above parameters were followed).

Hope this helps you get the most from our coffee!

Philip Search
KeenBean
KeenBean

Posted Fri Jun 15, 2007, 12:34pm

coffeeparadise Said:

If it seems like your espresso' is coming out thin, or lacking in sweetness the culprit is most often that the coffee ether was allowed to oxidize from an open bag, or perhaps the temp is too high or low at the beginning of the extraction. (Assuming the above parameters were followed).

Hope this helps you get the most from our coffee!

Philip Search

Posted June 15, 2007 link

Hey Phillip!  

Thanks!  I wouldn't necessarily say it pulled thin, but as for its characteristics it definitely tasted a little thin.  I checked the roast date on this 1 lb bag, and it's pretty fresh (06/04/07) - but I bought the bag yesterday.  Should still be reasonable, either way from my experience.  

Fortunately, I have a triple basket, and also have a bottomless portafilter to watch for "fresh" characteristics as I pull the next shot - I'll give another pull this afternoon and let you know how it turns out.  Again, I don't mean to knock your product - just so far I've found it thin in body, relative to my other experiences with similar pulling technique.  It is tasty, and has nice undertones - but I'm really hoping to get a sense of those when mixed with my milk!

KeenBean
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Your favorite...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.300606012344)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+