Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Goin' to Calgary (and Banff, and Lake Louise, etc)...
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Goin' to Calgary...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 3:19am
Subject: Goin' to Calgary (and Banff, and Lake Louise, etc)...

I know I could and should use the search function, but hey, site ownership does have its... something. Excuse for laziness? lol!

Anyway, Beata and I are going to Calgary for five days. And stops in between.

So where should we be going, coffee wise?

Where can I find the best deals on Ports and other booze at those nicey nice Alberta prices? Especially super rare stuff?

Any recommendations on a hotel in Calgary?

What's the weather like?

Where should we be trying for a great Calgary experience for dinner?

What other things should we check out and see while in Calgary?

Anyone wanna go for a coffee?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
John_Manzo
John_Manzo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 9:53am
Subject: Re: Goin' to Calgary (and Banff, and Lake Louise, etc)...

Mark-

It's been hot, REALLY hot, in Calgary, but it's my understanding that the weird wave of humidity we had earlier this month has passed. I'm in Toronto right now (talk about humidity!) so I can't be sure, but I'd say the next 5 days will be warm and dry.

Coffee? Well there are lots of threads here of course but some good places include Phil&Sebastian at the Farmers' Market (you'll need a car or take the 20 bus), Thurs-Sun only; Bumpy's at 8 St b/t 10 and 11 Ave SW, by MEC, but not open Sundays, M-Sat something like 6:30-5:00; there is new and very positive buzz about a resurrected Caffe Beano (resurrected from years of mediocrity, if always, always busy with great atmosphere), on 9 St SW just off 17th Ave (north side, just look for the crowds on the sidewalk), open 7 days and open late; and I've had good luck at The House in Kensington (10th St, east side, north of Kensington Rd) and, depending on who's working there, Cafe Koi on 1st SW around 10th ave, west side. There are great options further afield (Java Jamboree in Cochrane, a NW suburb of Calgary, and Communitea in downtown Canmore). I'm not aware of any coffee in Banff worth a detour, which is not to say that Banff isn't worth a detour.

I'd say the one restaurant experience that everyone should have in Calgary is The River Cafe, on Prince's Island Park. It is very expensive but is an experience on par with someplace like West in Vancouver- all locall sourced, beautifully presented in a space that feels like a lodge in the mountains (a REALLY NICE lodge)- you can google them to get their menu online. Other standouts are Capo in Inglewood, Muse in Kensington, Divino, Centini, Teatro, Opus on 8th, The Belvedere, and Catch on Stephen Ave, Brava Bistro, Cilantro, and The Living Room on 17th Ave, and Wildwood, Aida's, and the brand new BLVD on 4th St SW. As far as ethnic food, the best in Calgary is Vietnamese, and everybody has his  favourite noodle or banh mi place, but I'd say either Banh Mi Thi Thi in Chinatown for subs (Kim Anh on 17th by Western HS is great too) and for noodle houses- I could not say which is best, but I love Co Do on 17th east of 14 St and for an upscale version, The Orchid Room in Bankers Hall.You would not expect great sushi in Calgary and it's not Vancouver, but I've found excellent sushi at Globefish (14 St Kensington and a new location in Marda Loop), Hana Sushi (4th St SW)m and for great value, Uptown Sushi at 11 and 11 SW. There's good shawarma and felafel at Falafel King (1 St SW off Stephen Ave, and 17th and 9 St), Pita Express in the Burns Building (Epcor Centre off Olympic Plaza) and Shawarma Station on 10 St in Kensington. Tons and tons of other ethnic options are tucked into the ethnoburbs of the SE and NE but you probably won't be in those areas.

Ports- we always head to The Cellar on Stephen Ave next to the Patagonia store. Amazing selection and a great staff.

Hotel- I'd stay DT at the Hyatt or Westin, but there is a beautiful new-ish boutique hotel on 12th Ave east of 1st SW called Hotel Arts- it has two very well-regarded restaurants, Raw Bar and St Germain, but it's also in an area that is, let's say, in transition. It will be another False Creek when it's done, but until then it's more like skid row, but people like it and it's lovely. If you really want to splurge you can do no worse than the Kensington Riverside Inn, which is a small boutique inn, but it is very expensive. The Best Western on 8 St is notiong special but has kitchens and is by far the closest to 17th- and just a couple blocks to Bumpy's and Beano, this might be your best bet. There are, unfortunately, no hotels ON 17th Ave.

I'd be thrilled to meet you in person and will be back home on Tuesday.
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 3:13pm

WOOT! All great information! Thanks for all the info!

We're also planning on staying in Banff or Lake Lousie for two nights - I remember Lake Louse' hostel when it first opened up - it rivalled the Post Hotel (I think that's the name) in LL. We're trying to get a private room there for two nights, but it's proving tricky.

I'm afraid I'm going to be missing Phil and Sebastien's farmer's market thing though, as we're planning on going to Banff on Wednesday afternoon, staying there, then going back to Vancouver for Saturday (Beata's got a thing...).

Any other things to do or see in Calgary and environs the week of the 5-12th?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
RussP
RussP

Espresso: 3gp Slayer
Grinder: Malkonig and Mazzer Kony's
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: Probat and Gothot
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 4:35pm

Hey Mark, are you going to stop Fratello Coffee?  We'd love to give you a tour.

Great restaurants suggested above.  I went to Belvedere (on 8th Ave, just down from the Hyatt down town) and had an AMAZING dinner on Saturday.

RussP
www.fratellocoffee.com
Twitter - FratelloCoffee2
Facebook - Fratello Coffee Roasters
peter_van
peter_van
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: V60
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 8:44pm

Hey Mark! So it's wicked hot in Calgary right now. Low 30s for the past several days and it's supposed to be like this for awhile.

The restaurants mentioned are top notch, and I have nothing to add, except for when you're in the Rockies, try to get to Crazy Weed in Canmore. I'm not sure where they're at in terms of moving to their new location, but I think they're at a spot larger than their old Main St locale. They should be at the north end of Railway Avenue. John Gilchrist (Calgary's eminent food critic) said that if he was in a last meal situation, he would have the chef from Crazy Weed cook it for him... Also in Canmore, visit Communitea, they serve Intelly coffee and have a Synesso (I've never been though).

For liquor in Calgary, drive south down Macleod Trail to Willow Park Liquor Store. They have by far the most extensive selection of anything in Calgary and their prices are decent too. Their beer section is taken care of by a very enthusiastic beer geek (I think his name is Dave). They've got a good supply of US Micros (Rogue being my fav by far) that's hard to find elsewhere in Canada.

Other than that, I think John has you covered with most recs. I definitely have used his food recommendations from the chowhound message boards before with great success.

Too bad you're missing out on P&S. It's most definitely the best coffee in Calgary (and no, that's not just because I'm currently working a few shifts with them... haha). That's not to slight Bumpy's either. They've got some great folks pulling great shots. Jason (coffeegeek member - coffeeactivist) is the current assistant manager/head barista and his baristas definitely do a great job of providing spro for the downtown workforce.

Enjoy the trip! Maybe I'll bump into you somewhere.

about.me? http://about.me/petervan
barista comps in canada? http://baristacanada.com
unidonburi

Espresso: Euro2000 Jr., Estro Profi
Grinder: Cimbali Jr., MD40,...
Vac Pot: French press/moka pot
Roaster: Swissmar Bravi, Poppery I,...
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 9:46pm

Mark,

Peter and John have already provided a great list of cafes and restaurants.

For stuff to do...If you are anywhere near Canmore on this coming long weekend, the Canmore Folk Festival has a fantastic line up this year and it is a more beautiful, romantic and intimate than the larger festival venues.  I don't know if there are tickets left, however.

I also recommend CommuniTea in Canmore.  Nic (coffeegeek member) is not pulling shots in the summertime, but last weekend, the owner pulled a great Black Cat for me.

have a great trip.
Geoff
 View Profile Link to this post
KeenBean
KeenBean

Espresso: Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 9:50pm

Hey Guys -

I'd be keen to join in for a coffee and chat, so if you're planning an open social, please let me know!  I'd offer my place for a coffee, but the barista ain't that great yet... but getting there! ;)

Great write up on Calgary John... you sure you aren't involved with Tourism Calgary?  Only one place that I think you may have missed that I personally like for it's atmostphere and food, and that's Murrieta's on 8th Ave (near that Patagonia store you mentioned).   Otherwise, I think most of the restaurants you mentioned could be considered some of our "fine dining".  There are a whole bundle of other "staple" options depending on where you are in the city: Cactus Club, Smuggler's Inn, Joey Tomatoes, Barley Mill, etc.  

I know my wife and I often try go for either Italian or Greek food - both of which there are several good options here in the city.  I always like to support Mykono's, as they support our community.  Me personally - I often am eating Asian or Indian when I eat out with friends, since there is a great selection of those as well in the city.

Maybe let us know what kind of food you think you might be craving Mark and we can throw in some specific recommendations...

KeenBean
nicfortin
nicfortin
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Home: LaSpaz S1  -  Work :...
Grinder: Home : K30 Vario, Virtuoso...
Vac Pot: CONA : Junior Kitchen, 1950'...
Drip: Aeropress
Roaster: Intelligentsia, Behmor
Posted Sun Jul 29, 2007, 10:12pm

MarkPrince Said:

Any other things to do or see in Calgary and environs the week of the 5-12th?

Mark

Posted July 29, 2007 link

What a great coincidence, I'll be in Canmore (after a tour up north) by August 6th!
I would definitely enjoy a coffee with you, last time at Brad's place I would have talked hours more ;-) so if something get planned in Calgary let me know. If not, give me a shout when you'll be in Canmore.

peter_van Said:

... when you're in the Rockies, try to get to Crazy Weed in Canmore. I'm not sure where they're at in terms of moving to their new location, but I think they're at a spot larger than their old Main St locale. They should be at the north end of Railway Avenue. John Gilchrist (Calgary's eminent food critic) said that if he was in a last meal situation, he would have the chef from Crazy Weed cook it for him...

Posted July 29, 2007 link

Yep a very good choice. Though on my last days off it wasn't open yet. The old place on Main St. is under new ownership but they kept the name "Crazy Weed Miné" Miné being the last name of the Japanese who own the place. Great food too but very different than "Crazy Weed".

Hope to see lots of you CoffeeGeeks!

Enjoy your coffees with Respect  :^)
===============
BGA0531
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Goin' to Calgary...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24543595314)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+