Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
NO creama from Phil & Sebastian Espresso
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > NO creama from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ajohnc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 1, 2011, 11:52pm
Subject: NO creama from Phil & Sebastian Espresso

Hey guys,

I LOVE Phil & Sebastian coffee here in Calgary.

I recently got a Saeco Via Venezia... I de-pressurized it... anyways i got a tamper aswell... i bought a bag of their panama espresso - got them to grind it for espresso machines.... and i could not for the life of me get ANY creama...nothing....so... i went through the whole bag and adjusted my tamping pressure and dose everytime and still no crema. I went to superstore and got a bag of their espresso.... ground it on their machine for espresso and got perfect crema every single time.... sooooo i went back to phil and sebastian and got another bag and got them to grind it finer this time....

Just went through another $17 bag with no crema what so ever....

Is it just their espresso? coz its looking like it...
 View Profile Link to this post
peter_van
peter_van
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Mazzer Robur E
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: V60
Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 12:38am
Subject: Re: NO creama from Phil & Sebastian Espresso

See, the issue is not tamping pressure, tampers or dose. The issue is that you are trying to make home espresso with a pre ground product. You need to have the versatility of a grinder alongside your machine in order to properly pull a shot of espresso. End of story.

A secondary, less important issue is that crema is not actually a hallmark of quality. It's a result of a combination of variables, including varietal and species of coffee, freshness, etc. Robusta (a coffee widely considered unsuitable for specialty coffee) actually contributes more to crema than Arabica coffees due to differences in chemistry between the two species. A low grade grocery store coffee could very well be a Robusta blend, thus the crema.

about.me? http://about.me/petervan
barista comps in canada? http://baristacanada.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ajohnc

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 5:03am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply.

I agree with the grinder and that its needed... however i only have a $200 budget (at the moment) am i able to get a good burr grinder for that....or would i be best getting a hand driven grinder?

Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Sep 2, 2011, 8:27am

Hi Ash,

I'm contacting you offline with a solution.
A belated Welcome to the Coffeegeek Forums! {;-)

See this thread please: "Grinder for Aeropress"

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > NO creama from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189404010773)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+