Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Green Beans in Calgary
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Green Beans in...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013, 1:36am
Subject: Green Beans in Calgary

I'd like to know, where can I buy unroasted, green coffee beans in bulk, in Calgary?

Nobody I know seems to sell them, at least not retail anyway. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MattZ

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jan 26, 2013, 9:06am
Subject: Re: Green Beans in Calgary

I haven't check in a while, but the Roastery in Kensington used to sell green beans
 View Profile Link to this post
greenlover

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 1:27pm

You can buy it online . Depend what kind of u want
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Espresso: QM. Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Virtuoso and Essato Scale
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 4:47pm

I would be interested in putting in a bulk order from coffee shrub, the commercial side of Sweet Marias. Ideally it would be next summer when I get possession of my new place, but would do it earlier if we got enough folks together. One pallet of (440 lbs minimum per pallet)  works out to around $5.00/lb depending on bean varietal. I would take 100-200 lbs. I know one other guy who might also be interested in that.

Bulk order would be limited  in bean variety. My understanding is if the order is by pallet, you save on shipping greatly. Shipping by pallet only allows 100 lb bags. 4 bags per pallet, 4 kinds of beans per pallet. This is info on the website. Still, that is one heck of a price.

One other idea is maybe we could go through a local commercial roaster and piggy back an order? short of the Kensington roaster, and a friend who will occasionally sell a pound here and there at retail, I'm stumped to local, as opposed to on-line.

Group bean buy?

Chris
qualin
qualin

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 11:30pm

BV_Climber Said:

One pallet of (440 lbs minimum per pallet)

Posted December 3, 2013 link

Well, that works out to 199.58 kilograms. Wow.

They say that typically, green beans usually last no more than 15 months. Since I consume about a Kilogram of coffee about once a month, I'd probably
order no more than 16 Kilograms of coffee at once. That's a bit of a stretch. I personally would be a little neurotic about spoilage.

BV_Climber Said:

works out to around $5.00/lb depending on bean varietal.

That's not too shabby. I don't have a problem with saving 60 percent off the cost. I'm just not sure if I'd want to be drinking from the same variety of beans for upwards of a year.
Right now, I don't have a roaster so I'll be keeping my eyes open. The price incentive, if doing this, seems worthwhile.

A Behmor 1600 is $349.95 new. Provided that I'm saving about $11/lb on coffee, I'd have to roast about 33 lbs, or 15 kg of coffee to see a return on investment at that price.
I suppose buying a used roaster would probably speed that up a bit. :-)

BV_Climber Said:

One other idea is maybe we could go through a local commercial roaster and piggy back an order?

I think that's a much more practical idea. The solution above requires that I purchase a roaster and roast the batches of beans myself. They say that roasted
beans will last for about 4 months in the freezer, so I'd be very likely to order about 4 kilograms of coffee at once if the price was low enough.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
ddubick

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 2:28pm

I'm currently buying my green beans from Transcend in Edmonton.  They have decent prices and free shipping.

A group buy might be interesting but I'd definitely want to try the beans first before committing to them for a long time.
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 12:03pm

ddubick Said:

I'm currently buying my green beans from Transcend in Edmonton.  They have decent prices and free shipping.

A group buy might be interesting but I'd definitely want to try the beans first before committing to them for a long time.

Posted December 4, 2013 link

Agreed. Everyone will want different beans.

I am an advocate of buying a larger bulk order simply because of the cost. For example transcend prices range from 11 - 15/lb (ish) according to their website and depending on variety. Not including the cost of frieght, a pallot costs about $4-5/lb. Including frieght, the price will most likely still be 50% cheaper. Last time I previewed a quote from coffee shrub it was anyways.

If a group buy is in order say within the next 6 months I propose this:

Anyone who is interested in this try a couple of samples of your top three choices. We look at all of the kinds that folks are thinking of and vote. We are allowed four, 100 lb bags per pallot. Top 4 voted choices get picked, and away we go.

As these group buys can be difficult because of the variables, I might end up by just simply purchasing a pallot myself in several months, and have a bit of a stock pile. If you havent noticed, I will be commited to roasting and learning and such, hence the interest in a much lower per lb price. If I have 400 lbs of green, I would be happy to sell it off at the per pound price I bought it for.
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 3:26pm

qualin Said:

I'd like to know, where can I buy unroasted, green coffee beans in bulk, in Calgary?

Nobody I know seems to sell them, at least not retail anyway. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough...

Posted January 22, 2013 link

Baya Costa in Bridgeland sells green beans as well. 12/lb I was quoted on the phone, and will sell bigger orders, I asked up to 20 lbs. They said a cheaper price could be had if a bigger order was placed. Only one or two kinds of beans are kept in stock at a time though I think.
JohnLyn
JohnLyn

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 12:16am

I don't understand why green beans are so expensive in Canada. As a result, I continue to order from Sweet Maria's, price ends up the same after shipping (though the thought of the shipping cost kills me), but the variety and info is great, and I enjoy supporting them. Generally ends up being 10$ per pound green.

anyone know why costs are higher in canada than the US?
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 7:18am

JohnLyn Said:

I don't understand why green beans are so expensive in Canada. As a result, I continue to order from Sweet Maria's, price ends up the same after shipping (though the thought of the shipping cost kills me), but the variety and info is great, and I enjoy supporting them. Generally ends up being 10$ per pound green.

anyone know why costs are higher in canada than the US?

Posted December 11, 2013 link

It's because the only way to get good coffee to Canada is to ship it freight from the U.S.  At this point the coffee has already been through 1-2 middle men who want to make something off the beans they sell.  Personally I think some of the profit margins for green coffee in Canada are a bit too steep.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Green Beans in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298247098923)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+